WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Quick gear list help

I know there are a lot of these types of posts and I believe I've done my homework and have a good preliminary list. This is my general outline, don't have everything yet but i'm working on it. This is what I plan to leave Springer with in early March of 2011. Any input is welcome. Thanks!

Pack and Shelter
    - Osprey Atmos 50 and pack cover
    - MSR Hubba OR Tarptent option?
    - 3/4 RidgeRest
    - Montbell Stretch Downhugger 0 degree

Cooking/Hydration
    - MSR 1 liter titanium pot
    - Titanium short spork
    - SnowPeak Giga Power stove w/ canister
    - 2 Bic lighters
    - Platypus 2 liter bladder
    - Platypus 1 liter soft bottle
    - AquaMira drops
    - Dry sack for food/bear bagging
    - 50 feet paracord

Hygiene
    - Cut toothbrush
    - Small toothpaste
    - Small contact solution
    - Contact case
    - Hand sanitizer
    - MSR Micro pack towel
    - First aid kit with nail clippers etc.
    - TP

Clothing worn
    - Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots
    - Synthetic socks
    - Patagonia Capilene 1 top
    - Patagonia Capiene 1 bottom
    - Synthetic shirt (maybe just pack?)
    - Quick dry zip off pants
    - Marmot Precip Rain Jacket

Clothing packed
    - 1 pair synthetic underwear
    - 1 Patagonia Capilene 3 top and bottom
    - 2 pairs synthetic socks
    - Rain pants
    - 1 pair zip off pants? Maybe just shorts?
    - Montane down jacket
    - Thin pair gloves
    - Wool toboggan
    - Gaiters for snow? Unnecessary?

Navigation/luxury
    - Petzl LED headlamp
    - Maps of sections
    - Compass
    - Thru-hiker companion
    - Multi-tool
    - iPhone and charger
    - iPod Nano
    - earplugs
    - Camera
    - Credit/debit cards and ID/health insurance card

that list is absolutely spot on. I wouldn't put too much more thought or effort into your gear list as you have obviously done plenty of research.Ignore those who will try to tell you that you don't need a map, your stove needs to be alcohol, etc. 0 degree bag is a bit of an overkill but you can always unzip it as needed. Gaiters? maybe not for snow, depends on the year but I liked mine just to keep debris out of my boots and used them the entire time. Good luck and have fun.

Images

Yeah I do realize the 0 degree bag may be a bit of overkill but the only 2 i have are that and my 40 degree Montbell which I am going to switch out when it warms up. As far as 0 degree bags go it is relatively light though. Thanks for the response!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Looks like a pretty solid list, and it looks like you're weight-conscious. Now, go get yourself a scale and weigh everything; then figure out how you can cut another pound off your total pack weight by replacing some items with lighter alternatives or using one item for multiple purposes.

• I agree with 4shot, the 0* bag will be overkill, at least once you get into May. You'll likely want a 20* bag until Pearisburg, then a 35* bag through Hanover where you can pick up your cold-weather gear for the Whites.
    • I'm a proponent of the TarpTent/Six Moon Designs tents, which offer a nice balance of space to weight.
    • By the time you reach Virginia, you'll probably be carrying a large isobutane canister, as you'll be eating a lot more. In lieu of the second lighter, I'd bring a few dozen windproof matches. Bring a Photon LED as a backup to your headlamp.
    • You can probably get by with 35-40' of cord, but the 50' length gives you the option to cut out segments for guylines and whatever.
    • I've found gaiters to work best for snow above 6" with low-cut boots. They can also work well with rain pants to keep the rain from entering through the top of the boot. I like the breathable, waterproof MLD e-Vent gaitors at less than 2 ounces.
    • Use a mini pair of scissors, ideally as part of a lightweight multi-tool, to replace the nail clippers. I find that I use my scissors more than my mini-knife blade.
    • I find that I'm comfortable down to about 40* in shorts and T-shirt, as long I'm walking and the wind isn't blowing too hard. It's amazing how your internal thermostat adjusts when you live outdoors. The challenge is to not overheat and drench any of the clothing you need when you stop walking. That's where a windshirt and possibly windpants can be helpful, by cutting the wind and holding in heat without sacrificing breathability. I use my e-Vent rain jacket to cut wind, but if I expect really cold weather I'll walk in light pants or add in windpants.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

The zero degree bag will be very nice to have for the first two months. You can swap out after Mt Rogers. You probably won't need two pairs of zip off pants, but you can figure that out on the trail. Overall a good list.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Thanks again for the responses. I was definitely considering leaving the packed pair of zip off pants out. Think I'll be fine with just the rain pants.

Also, the comment with the matches and the scissors on the multi tool are very true. I'll leave the clippers home and was planning on bring some matches as backup.

As I accumulate more of the gear I will definitely weight it all out and post up a more complete list.

Keep the comments coming! Thanks again.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Looks good.
    No underwear in the "Clothes worn" section? Hey personal preference I'm thinking of getting some boxer /briefs to cut down on chaffing.
    I have and like a PreCip but I'm taking DriDucks because they're lighter.
    I'm taking a wool hat instead of a toboggan, although the toboggan would be great on the downhills!
    No gators for me.
    No maps for me, I'll just borrow yours.
    Other than that you and I are carrying about the same thing as far as clothes go.
    See ya on the trail!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Have you done any long distance hikes in preparation?

Images

Looks pretty good as stated already,
    You could shave a few ounces:
    50 Ft. of paracord is about 3 ounces, Spectra line is less than an ounce like this ZPacks line:http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml
    The Tarptent is bound to be lighter than the MSR though I haven't checked.
    My Gossamer Gear The One is just over 16 ounces though not cheap.
    http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelters/the-one.html
    ZPacks and Gossamer Gear have many other lightweight options you may want to scope the sites.
    But basically, your list looks good.

Default Tea, your original list is fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    . I was definitely considering leaving the packed pair of zip off pants out. Think I'll be fine with just the rain pants.

Also, the comment with the matches and the scissors on the multi tool are very true. I'll leave the clippers home and was planning on bring some matches as backup.

As I accumulate more of the gear I will definitely weight it all out and post up a more complete list.

Keep the comments coming! Thanks again.
    stick with YOUR plan. Take 2 pair of zip off pants and the rain pants...I did and was glad for it.the stuff like clippers and all will sort itself out as you go...I had them and was glad I did. You mention as you accumulate more gear,you'll weigh it out. Why do you need more gear than what you have listed? Why weigh it all out? Your pack weight will vary more than whatever ounces you shave off with rain, perspiration...your food bag alone will vary by 10-12 lbs or so depending on where you are.

Trust me...let go of any worries you have about gear. I wouldn't tell you this if your list was off the mark but what you have will work. You can tweak it on the trail as conditions change. I say this because I too fretted over this stuff and at the end of the day the gear was 1% of the hike (again assuming you have done some research which you have) but people spend 90% of their preparation on it. I know I did. Again, good luck!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Have you done any long distance hikes in preparation?
    I have done several long distance hikes in the past although not as many as I would have liked recently. Several 70-100 mile hikes in the past couple years, with plans for a few 3-4 day trips in January/February to make sure i'm all prepared. Physically I'm not too worried. I am quite active with mountain biking, hiking, and generally run 5 1/2 miles of hills most days.

Thanks for the advice from everyone else. As far as the gear there were really only a few things I was uncertain about, the extra zip-off pants being one of them. I really didnt WANT to carry them, so most likely i'll leave them at home. I was considering it before posting on here anyway.

I'll see how funds are, as I would like to cut down some weight with a tarptent as well, but ill save that for after i get all my gear and weigh it.

Thanks again for everyone. Cant wait till March!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    stick with YOUR plan. Take 2 pair of zip off pants and the rain pants...I did and was glad for it.the stuff like clippers and all will sort itself out as you go...I had them and was glad I did. You mention as you accumulate more gear,you'll weigh it out. Why do you need more gear than what you have listed? Why weigh it all out? Your pack weight will vary more than whatever ounces you shave off with rain, perspiration...your food bag alone will vary by 10-12 lbs or so depending on where you are.

Trust me...let go of any worries you have about gear. I wouldn't tell you this if your list was off the mark but what you have will work. You can tweak it on the trail as conditions change. I say this because I too fretted over this stuff and at the end of the day the gear was 1% of the hike (again assuming you have done some research which you have) but people spend 90% of their preparation on it. I know I did. Again, good luck!
    I appreciate this response as well. Very true, I'm sure lots of the things i'm worrying about now will be negligible when i'm actually out on the trail. As for what I meant by "accumulate gear" see the post above. Thanks again.

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

I agree with everyone else. this is a pretty solid list. You may have too many clothes though. I'd either ditch the rainpants or the extra zip off pants. This is what I carried for clothes in the cold months.

What I wore while hiking:
    -Icebreaker T-shirt
    -Patagonia capilene 3 long sleeved shirt (when needed)
    -shorts
    -skull cap
    -fleece gloves (if really cold)
    -hiking socks

In camp:
    -tank top
    -same Patagonia capilene 3 long sleeved shirt (if not wet)
    -REI primaloft jacket
    -thin thermal pants
    -camp socks

You stay very warm while hiking even if it is really cold and you are wet. Once I got to camp, I changed immediately into my dry clothes and got into my sleeping bag. Carrying less clothing helped me cut alot of weight.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

-Cerveza Ga->Me 2010
    Trail Name: Cerveza

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

^oh and for rain gear, I just carried a Marmot precip rain jacket, but no rain pants or anything. I also did not wear gaiters my whole trip.
    Trail Name: Cerveza

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used both kinds of tents on my hikes and liked the hubba better. It was nice to have a freestanding tent that withstood wind and didn't give me condensation issues.
    Only need one pair of zip offs.
    I sent my gaiters home
    I kept my rain pants until VA. There were hypothermia conditions where they did come in handy. a cold sleety rain with high winds

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I used both kinds of tents on my hikes and liked the hubba better. It was nice to have a freestanding tent that withstood wind and didn't give me condensation issues.
    Only need one pair of zip offs.
    I sent my gaiters home
    I kept my rain pants until VA. There were hypothermia conditions where they did come in handy. a cold sleety rain with high winds
    Yeah thats where I could see the rain pants coming in handy. I was planning on sending them home once the weather warmed up like you suggest. Thanks for all the responses.

I think that this is a great list for an early March start, but when you get into warmer weather, you'll want to trade out a bunch of stuff in order to save on weight. It will be a totally different hike.

I do count five bottoms though: 2 capilenes, 2 zip offs, and rain pants. This is overkill in any weather. Ditch one of the zip offs.

++ New Posts ++