WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Just how much SOBO solitude are we talkin?

My buddy and I are closing in on the beginning of our 2011 SOBO thru-hike, but there is still one thing I would like to be fore-warned of before we head out.

We chose to do a SOBO hike due to schedule compatibility and the fact that we would finish nearer to our home in North Carolina. We heard about how less crowed a SOBO hike is compared to a NOBO, but I'm wondering; just how isolated are we going to be? Should we expect a consistent hand full of fellow hikers or are we heading for a ghost town on the trail?

One of the things we are both looking forward to on our hike is meeting some cool new people, so any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Images

You'll meet plenty of people in starting in the Whites if you make a typical late May or early June start. I've never hiked in ME in June, so I can't honestly say, but I'll bet it's thin comparatively, plus many others that are out there will be other SOBO's so you'll be a days hike or more apart. But figure a few hundred START a SOBO each year, most in late May / early June so you will have some other SOBO's and early season hikers around - just not as many as a NOBO horde. You'll see plenty of people all summer going both directions especially in popular areas, and of course all the NOBO's that don't drop out will eventually pass you going the other direction. They'll be pretty strung out miles wise by that point. After late August / Labor Day when school starts back up you won't see many people and will have the trail largely to yourself, except perhaps on nice fall weekends.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Thanks, the social excpiraiance holds half the appeal for us and it's nice to know that we can avoid "hordes" and still share a good time with other hikers. As for farther south and later in the year, we have family and friends just itching to accompany us once we cross into lower Virginia and we will be more than ready to accept thier company, on account that they bring us plenty of food, of course.

Thanks for the Help!

Quote Originally Posted by thepitts View Post
    My buddy and I are closing in on the beginning of our 2011 SOBO thru-hike, but there is still one thing I would like to be fore-warned of before we head out.

We chose to do a SOBO hike due to schedule compatibility and the fact that we would finish nearer to our home in North Carolina. We heard about how less crowed a SOBO hike is compared to a NOBO, but I'm wondering; just how isolated are we going to be? Should we expect a consistent hand full of fellow hikers or are we heading for a ghost town on the trail?

One of the things we are both looking forward to on our hike is meeting some cool new people, so any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    I don't think you will have a problem meeting other hikers on the trail. I believe they say like 90% of people attempting thru-hikes begin in Georgia and head up to Maine. Only like 10% hike from Maine to Georgia. So yes there will be initially less people thru-hiking in the direction (Southbound) that you will be heading, but that doesn't mean there will be no other hikers. Many people hike parts of the trail on day, multi-day, week long, and month long section hikes, so you are bound to be among other people sooner or later. And since you will be starting when the Summer will be beginning, then you will certainly have other's out and about on the trail. There may be times when it is quiet, and people may not be around, but before you know it they will appear and you will have the opportunity to meet and socialize.

If you're going SOBO and would like to be around more people you'll probably want to start after June 15 as before that the numbers are much lower. . . have a great hike. . .

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I summited Kathadin on June 25t this year and for the last 200 miles or so there was a steady stream of southbounders every day.

I'd be interested to learn how many of those made it to Glencliff. I'd think that's where you'd start to see people getting weeded out.

All three of my thru-hikes were NOBO, but if I were to do it again, I would definitely do a SOBO hike. The crowds I experianced this year from Springer to Damascus were disheartening. My first two thru-hikes were in 77 and 82 and I liken these two hikes as to what a SOBO hike would be now, in terms of the numbers of people. Almost every shelter site I stayed at had 25-35 people each night. I began to "cowboy camp" away from the shelters, and it was only then, that I began to experiance the solitude many of us seek. Not that I am particularly anti-social. It's just that my idea of of enjoying the Trail is not with having to deal with the crowds. SOBO hikers will experiance far less numbers of people, but there will still be enough hikers out there for the social experiance to shine through. I began meeting SOBO hikers by the time I reached Massachusetts and ran into 2-5 a day all the way to Gorham, NH where the numbers started to dwindle; this would be during the month of July. There will not be a day where you don't meet someone and most certainly, you will be camping with others at each and every shelter. The months of June, July and August are busy months for the Trail in Maine. This is the time when many camp and scout groups are also using the Trail, so be forewarned. Maines "100 Mile Wilderness" can and will be busy during these months as well as the Bigelows, the Mahoosucs and the Whites......I am working on a website dedicated to Maines 100 Mile Wilderness and will be providing shuttles, shelter and resupply. Site should be up by mid-January and will be at www.100milewilderness.info so be looking for it. There will be lots of information on Baxter, weather, shelters, etc as resupply options I can offer to those wanting to lighten their load between Baxter and Monson. More info for now at [email protected] Enjoy your SOBO hike!!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Plenty out there until Sept then it dies down until October when sectioners are out for their week-long sections. But it is a much quieter hike and less out, even with the sectioners. You will meet new people but never see them again, most likely. Almost everyone is heading north. And if you start with SOBOs you will soon have different hiking plans and mileage, esp as the terrain in Maine is difficult to start. and even those sectioners you meet going south, you will be faster than they are. So unless you find a group or other hikers doing your speed and day, expect to hike on your own. It's still a great time though
    Last edited by Blissful; 11-30-2010 at 14:19.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I summited Kathadin on June 25t this year and for the last 200 miles or so there was a steady stream of southbounders every day.

I'd be interested to learn how many of those made it to Glencliff. I'd think that's where you'd start to see people getting weeded out.

I know several from our summit group did not make it out of Maine do to injury, etc.

Hiking Blog

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thepitts View Post
    later in the year, we have family and friends just itching to accompany us once we cross into lower Virginia and we will be more than ready to accept thier company, on account that they bring us plenty of food, of course.

Thanks for the Help!
    If you do that, be prepared to slow your pace to a snail, which is tough for a thru hiker. You'll want to do 20 mile plus days and they can only do 10. So you need to factor that in when having others join you late in the hike or be frustrated.

Hiking Blog

when are you planning to start? will be starting sobo with my brother mid june

I started SOBO on July 1st, 2008. Lots of other SOBO's all through Maine and the whites, it was great to meet so many cool people. It got thin after that, but there were always NOBO's around. Once I got into Mass (around August 1st), there was hardly anyone around. Very rarely saw any hikers after that, but I did meet up with 4 SOBO's in Jersey and hiked to Georgia with them. I Finished on Springer with 9 other thru's and another 8 or so finished a few days later.

I think going SOBO you can choose to hike with a group or be completely alone, your choice. Just speed up or slow down depending on what you want.

Have fun!

++ New Posts ++