WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sof Sole or Superfeet

I have had bouts of plantar fasciitis and I'm looking for a good insole to put in all my hiking shoe and boots, and perhaps in my other shoes as well

So far I looked at two companies. Sof Sole alread make orthotics and the have an insert just for hiking. Everyone in general raves about Superfeet but are the good for PF?

Sof Sole hikers are $15 cheaper than Superfeet. If I go with the superfeet I'm not sure if I should get green,blue or gray.

Neither! www. orthosoles.com
    much better support, NO BREAK-In
    relatively new, but Great!

and Yes, I am the rep..in the South

Actually, the sof sols, not bad, but if you have PF issues...not the other..nuff said
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Insoles definitely help, but I found that I need to stretch the bottom of my feet out every hour or two while hiking to prevent the problem from developing even with insoles when doing long distance hiking. I've always just used the green superfeet. But what works for one persons feet doesn't always work for someone elses. You really should try out a few different ones on some long hikes and see how your feet like them.

Superfeet work for me (as well as my $450 Orthotics). But I have to size them by where the arch fits, not my shoe size. I'm an 11 1/2 but use the largest shoe size Superfeet and trim the ends to fit my boot.
    Omnia mea mecum porto. - I carry with me all my things

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

After a long arduous process to find insoles that would work for me (and I tried at least five or six different kinds), I took my PT's recommendation and went with the blue Superfeet. After about a week break in, they worked great and have used them ever since (they are in all my athletic footwear). And I have very flat feet.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Superfeet destroyed my feet, never had a problem with PF until I hiked 400 miles in them. Never again!
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Superfeet destroyed my feet, never had a problem with PF until I hiked 400 miles in them. Never again!
    How many hundreds of miles did you hike before using Superfeet?

for hiking on the AT, get the green or orange Superfeet inserts. I've used both. The orange have a bit more padding, but both are great.

Images

i agree. worst i ever wore. cardboard is better.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    whats your point ??????????????
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I hiked blister and pain free in SuperFeet- Blue for my Keen Targhee ll's and Green for trailrunners.

Two important things about sizing SuperFeet:

1. Fit the heel cup first! Most people get them way too small- ouch! The insole should cradle your heel not cramp it.
    2. Choose SuperFeet based on the best "volume" fit in your shoes or boots. Greens are a shade thicker than the blue's, etc.
    Last edited by Spokes; 11-29-2010 at 16:47.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    That particular section, that year was 400 miles or so.

They really trashed my feet. I thought it was my boots, then switched to trailrunners, kept using the SF, and then finally after too much pain, I ditched them. They were the major problem. I had them "fitted" where they 'melt them' and mold them to your feet, they work for some folks though
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    whats your point ??????????????
    Because that data point is worthless if that's the first long hike he's ever done. He very well might have got PF not matter what.

That particular section, that year was 400 miles or so.
    Thanks.

Not sure this is relevant in your case of not but I used to get a tremendous amount of pain right where the balls of my feet and the arch come together. I wear shock blocker inserts combined with stretching my toes back and massaging my feet both during and after each days hike.

The Shockblockers have no arch or heel cup support but they are soooooo comfortable whereas the orange Superfeet I have provide no comfort at all. Literally pillows for the feet.

When it comes to relieving foot pain and blister prevention this is not an area to try and save a few bucks.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

MD told me to start using superfeet when I had PF. I use green in my athletic footwear.

Never wanted Super Feet but got them as a gift. . . very uncomfortable til I put the factory insoles on top of them. . . seems to be the perfect set-up. . .

I have wider than normal size 14 feet. I have used superfeet as well as softsoles and custom orthotics. I like the moldable softsoles the best. The custom orthotics take up to much room in my boots and the superfeet don't have enough arch support for my high arches. My son also a 14 loves the superfeet because he has very flat feet(a genetic gift from his mother).

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    I have had bouts of plantar fasciitis and I'm looking for a good insole to put in all my hiking shoe and boots, and perhaps in my other shoes as well

So far I looked at two companies. Sof Sole alread make orthotics and the have an insert just for hiking. Everyone in general raves about Superfeet but are the good for PF?

Sof Sole hikers are $15 cheaper than Superfeet. If I go with the superfeet I'm not sure if I should get green,blue or gray.
    I have never used Sof Sole, so I cannot compare, but after lots of problems with foot pain, I started using SuperFeet about 6 - 7 years ago. I have terrible feet - very flat. As the manufacturer recommends, I transitioned into them, wearing them for increasing limited hours for the first several days to allow my feet to adapt to the increased support. After a week or 10 days, I was wearing them all the time. Now I wear them in most all shoes that I wear. I have been very pleased with them.

People rarely will agree on footwear-related things so asking for opinions is usually farily worthless.

What worked well for me was to carry a selection of insoles. I could layer them or trade them out. That way I was never stuck with any one thing that didn't work and I could better determine what did work.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Anyone use Sorbothane insoles?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++