WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New England

Images

From Connecticut Walk Book West, p. 15: "Camp and cook fires are prohibited along the AT throughout Connecticut."

From the Connecticut Forest and Park Association's website, ctwoodland.org/node/136: "Campfires are not permitted along the Blue-Blazed Hiking Trails except at designated sites with permission of the landowner." "Landowner" might include a town or city, I expect. The safe bet in CT is to assume on the AT and the blue-blazed trail system that fires are illegal.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoehead View Post
    Don't be afraid to camp in the winter take small steps to be successful, plan for it with the right gear, self awareness and attitude and do it where you can bale out if you really need to.
    I plan to start with warm-weather camping first and build up. May yet change my mind this winter. Likes me my warm bed and feline warming systems. ...

Key words being "designated campsite/site / established fire ring", which there are plenty of on blue blazed trails, you just need a permit from the DEP. Which takes all of about 2 minutes to get by sending an email to the appropiate headquarters. And also, the CFPA is a private non-profit organization that relies on members and supporters to carry out its mission and does not have legal jurisdiction anywhere on any topic nor any authority.

If it isn't a DEP , state, or town ordenance/law then it is not "illegal"

Now don't take what I am saying the wrong way. I am not saying that just because it's technically legal to go around having a fire anywhere it's posted not to have one. Obey all postings, because they are there for a reason whether you understand why or not. And organizations like the CFPA are around to help protect the lands and resources and protect the trails that we love so much. I just think there is a big misunderstanding with hikers/backpackers in CT that fires are banned everywhere, so I am trying to educate the community a little.

There are plenty of places where you can have a fire, in CT to name a few, you can have a fire on the Mohawk Trail, the Tunxis Trail, Metacomet Trail, Nipmuck Trail, Natchaug Trail, Pachaug Trail, Mattabesset Trail and several others.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Images

I with they'd let people camp more on the blue blazers, but I think b/c so much of them are on private land, whether water company or otherwise, it's safer just to say no, though as you say, I understand there are a few places where one can, such as at Macedonia Brook. ... I'd enjoy camping out by a nice fire under the right circumstances - will check further on the relevants rules and regs. Sounds like on the AT, though, it's a big "no."

Images

There are 3 places on the tunxis trail that are designated for backpacker camping.

Images

Driver8 I learned very quickly what winter camping/backpacking was like this year. it's not too difficult, just takes some consideration of gear-a little moreso than summer camping/backpacking. I too am not ready for the crampons/technical stuff however. I just enjoy getting out in the snow & whatnot.

Ironbelly-where is that in CT?
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

Images

So, let's do a canvass of the group - who's for heading out to SW Mass for a Race Brook/Everett/Race hike, there and back (alternative - park a second car at Elbow Trailhead, in case Everett is slick and icy and so an unpleasant descent, always possible this time of year).

Em, I know you can't do it for the next couple of weekends. Anyone else who can and wants to? If Everett doesn't work, anyone up for Mile of Ledges in Burlington/Bristol area? I'm looking to do anything in the 5-10 mile range. Saturday I'm probably getting together with my friend locally for a short hike, given his time constraints. Let's try to put a plan together. If more convenient, you can e-mail me at [email protected] (only one "s").

This weekend due to having to work and a prior commitment on Sunday afternoon/evening. I am only free for a day hike Sunday. I will probally do the mile of ledges area and start around 3 or 4 am so that I can get back early. On my weekends off however I am usually up for just about anything.

Lillianp, where is what in CT? the Tunxis? It runs from southington, ct to the mass border, think it's 59 miles in total. It has a few mile break just north of southington. Passes towns in roughly this order, southington,bristol,burlington,farmington,new hartford, west granby, and I forget what the northern most one is.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Images

3-4 AM is too early for me. Hope you enjoy your hike, Ironbelly!

Images

Ironbelly-you guessed correctly.

Driver8, Yeah-I'm not free this weekend, but I'll be free in January. Next weekend is backpacking on the tunxis trail! Super excited.
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

Images

Got out to the Southington section of the Tunxis trail system for the first time today. Really enjoyed the Steep Climb trail, as well as Compounce Ridge and part of the Compounce Cascades trail. Great views from atop Compounce Mtn, crystal clear day. The brooks were running flush with water today. Red letter day. First exploration of the Tunxis system, but certainly only the first. Looking forward to more!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lillianp View Post
    Next weekend is backpacking on the tunxis trail! Super excited.
    What section and which day/s? I'd enjoy meeting up with you for a section or so, if that can be arranged. ...

Images

Hi I live just north of I90 (Mass Pike) and just west of the AT. I am up for some hikes/overnights especially the south Taconics - great area. Getting a little snow today. Also could help with shuttle if schedule won't allow overnights.

Looks like a lot of us aren't free until January. If anyone does decide to do something then, I'll finally be out of school and definitely game to join in too.

Images

It's so great to see so many people expressing interest in a weekend hike in January! I'll check on my calendar, but I think sometime in the middle of January would probably work best. I'll probably look first at the AT since I don't actually know any other long distance trails around. If anyone else does know of ones in the Taconics or western Mass, post it here!

Migrating Bird thanks for the offer! Hopefully you will be able to hike with us!
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

Images

There are some neat hikes in the southern taconics, on the west side is the south taconic trail, the approach from the southern terminus is a climb but well worth it (there may be some icy ledges). The views to the west are similar to the views from the AT on Race Mt. to the east. There are lots of really neat spots and un-like the AT I believe fires are allowed. There is even a small cabin in a notch on Alander Mt. Water should not be a problem as we have made up our deficit. A great map of the area is available at http://www.bnrc.net/map.htm. January works much better for me.

Happy Holidays to All

M. Bird

Middle of January would probally work well for me also. Still waiting on my work schedule to come out, so not sure about the dates now.

If anyone else is interested in the Tunxis Trail this weekend let me know. I am heading out friday night after work, and Lillianp is gonna meet up Sat morning. I have a permit and can easily add a few people if anyones interested. If your interested shoot me a pm or an email.

Journal Entries

I am doing Dalton to North Adams over 2 days January 14-15.

I welcome partners. I'm hoping to camp before Greylock, then climb up over it in the morning and go down into North Adams. (then I'm checking out a show at Mass Moca.)

Images

takethisbread:

Not sure if I can make Greylock area with you, would like to, but may not yet have crampons by that time. You're doing a Friday/Saturday? Where do you think you'd camp? I'd be joining you Sat AM.
    ------

I very much enjoyed hiking with Ironbelly yesterday. Met up on the north shoulder of Pine Mtn and made our way north on the Tunxis - I road walked on the dirt forest Pine Mtn Road from 179. I missed the views from Pine Mtn and the views of Barkhamsted Reservoir were minimal, but there were several pretty brooks, especially Roberts Brook and Morley, both of which were very icy, though passable easily enough and which had very nice icy cascades near the trail. Roberts has northern tributary with a very sharp ravine feeding into it, at a point where the ravine Roberts cuts is itself similarly sharp and steep to Sages over on the AT. The trail crosses Roberts upstream in a more level section. Very pretty country with a lot of nice Hemlock groves.

Ironbelly and his dog were great company and the day was beautiful - a light coating of snow over everything in the morning, with the west- and north-facing slopes melting by afternoon, with the 20 F chill of the earlier morning giving way to 40-ish on the warmer slopes by afternoon. At 11 miles, round trip, it was my longest hike yet by about 2.5 miles, my longest this year by about 3.8. Fortunately, for me, minimal on the elevation changes, maybe a total for the day of 2K feet. I was *bushed* even so.

Not sure how much lower than 20 F I want to go - my hands and feet felt the chill at times, even through good new gloves and warm wool socks - but I'm very much enjoying winter hiking.

Driver8, here's a link to the album with the pics from this weekend.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=4e15d7450e

I didn't take too many pictures this time since I have been through the area several times before

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++