WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New England

Images

Hi Ironbelly:

Nice pics! I made an album of photos, too, here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...751&aid=105433. Will post the pics of you and your pup in there, too, if you like - just let me know.

Hope to get out on trail with you again, soon, when schedules permit.

Cheers,

Chris
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    takethisbread:

Not sure if I can make Greylock area with you, would like to, but may not yet have crampons by that time. You're doing a Friday/Saturday? Where do you think you'd camp? I'd be joining you Sat AM.
    ------
    I'm thinking Mark Noepel lean to.

I did this hike last winter and wore no campons. I guess I will watch the weather, but I just used the often useless yaktrax and they were ok. But the snow wasn't too too bad .

Keep in touch.

Images

Takethisbread,
    I would join you, but I'm unsure of my work as of yet, so we'll see.

As for group hike, would an end to end work well? Two nights with the majority of hiking being Saturday and finishing up Sunday morning? I am parsing through the (seemingly, I guess) disorganized information out there with all of the winter allowed camping in Mass/Conn/NY. I like Migrating Bird's idea of the South Taconics. There is some camping there near Alander?

I do work better off guidebooks (habit learned from AT, naturally) so It's taking me a bit to work through the maps, figure out distances, etc.

-Em
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

Images

There is a camp site about 1 mile in from the Washington State Forest headquarters. Check out this map.
    http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/mt-washington.gif There is also a group site where the Alander trail crosses Ashley Brook.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post

I did this hike last winter and wore no campons. I guess I will watch the weather, but I just used the often useless yaktrax and they were ok. But the snow wasn't too too bad .

Keep in touch.
    yeah well you are an idiot so I may just have to try and meet up with you to make sure you make it over this hill alive. If you die who is going to hike into the Winter Warmer with me? Trust me it is purely selfish reason that I might even think about such a stupid hike.

By the way screw CT and their stupid ass no fire law. Come on down to NY we welcome fires hell tell me where you are and I'll help hike the wood and fire strater in. I bet in 20 min's we can get jets that were to land at JFK come in low with the fire we will have.

Yes I know I have added almost nothing of any merit to this thread. Hence my job is done. I say Good Night!!!!
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    By the way screw CT and their stupid ass no fire law. Come on down to NY we welcome fires hell tell me where you are and I'll help hike the wood and fire strater in. I bet in 20 min's we can get jets that were to land at JFK come in low with the fire we will have.
    As a proud life-long Connecticut resident, I have to totally agree. Eastern NY is fun in the winter and a great place go if you want to ease yourself into winter backpacking. Several of the campsites are far enough from the road to give you a good hike, but close enough to the trailhead to let you get back if you get into any trouble. I have no idea why CT is more flammable than it's neighbors, but I usually abandon the place when the temps drop much below freezing.

Sasquatch, I see you are from Pawling. Do you know if there is any place on Duell Hollow road to park overnight legally during the winter? Last December when I was up there I parked roadside (I couldn't find any other parking because of the snow banks). The authorities were nice enough to leave me a polite warning note instead of a ticket, however I'd prefer not to test their patience.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Keep in touch.
    OK. Well if weather isn't too forbidding and I can get someone to do the two cars gig with me, I could give it a go. Another alternative would be for me (and partner/s) to hike up from the north and join you somewhere - War Memorial, points north? - and then double back and head north from point of meeting. That'd give me good steep elevation gain experience with the north side of the beast. ...

I'd really enjoy seeing Saddle Ball's forest in the winter, though. Such a pretty place. ...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    There is a camp site about 1 mile in from the Washington State Forest headquarters. Check out this map.
    http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/mt-washington.gif There is also a group site where the Alander trail crosses Ashley Brook.
    I didn't see the campsite a mile in from the headquarters, but I can see the group site marked 2 miles in? That looks like a really good option-hike in Friday evening for those who can make it out for then and hike around on Saturday, return on Saturday evening, perhaps?

I was also thinking maybe doing an end to end Somewhere in Southern mass-somewhere just past Great Barrington to the North Wilcox or South Wilcox shelter to upper goose pond and out on to Rte 20?
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    yeah well you are an idiot so I may just have to try and meet up with you to make sure you make it over this hill alive. If you die who is going to hike into the Winter Warmer with me? Trust me it is purely selfish reason that I might even think about such a stupid hike.

Yes I know I have added almost nothing of any merit to this thread. Hence my job is done. I say Good Night!!!!

I'll be alive still for the warmer for sure.

As for Greylock, I guess We may have something. It'll be tough, but there's a liquor store on the other side!

I have this coming week off until friday or Saturday was wondering if anyone would be interested in a hiking trip or even a overnight, in Mass, CT or Ny?

Quote Originally Posted by CTGuy View Post
    I have this coming week off until friday or Saturday was wondering if anyone would be interested in a hiking trip or even a overnight, in Mass, CT or Ny?
    Well, I tried to post detail of a trip I'm doing Tuesday afternoon through late Friday morning, but the Forum timed out on me and wouldn't post after re-logging in; the post is gone.

In summary: I'm starting at the Ranger Headquarters roughly at the southern intersection of West and East Streets, going N on the AT over Race and Everett, camping at Glen Brook shelter.

Then N over Bushnell, immediately descending ravine W down into Jug End Loop area, ascending Whitbeck and overnighting on the bank of Karner Brook. Then crossing Mt Washington Road and ascending woods road W up to South Taconics Trail north of Prospect Hill. South on STT, overnighting well-off-trail just S of Bashbish.

Friday morning swing east on Alander Mt Trail back to car.

I won't know for sure if I'm doing this until mid-day Monday. It is possible I may have to compress it to two-nighter Wed & Thurs, longer days and a maybe a bit of a push given the likely new snow.

Sounds good let me know more details when you get it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    Well, I tried to post detail of a trip I'm doing Tuesday afternoon through late Friday morning, but the Forum timed out on me and wouldn't post after re-logging in; the post is gone.

~
    Wil,

Here are two strategies to help avoid this problem.

1. When you log onto WB, check the box that says "Remember Me?".

2. After composing your post, but before submitting it, copy the entire post. That way if your computer hangs during the post, you can paste your text into a new window and try again.
    Roland

Images

I'm heading out of state for a week - down south where it's warmer - this Friday, and my time is scarce in the meantime. I may get out tomorrow near home to enjoy the plentiful new powder, we'll see.

Journal Entries

I'm still up for doing some hiking anywhere from ny/nj to mass.
    Nobody wants to play with me! I'm bored.

Images

I'm still up for doing some hiking anywhere from ny/nj to mass.
    Nobody wants to play with me! I'm bored.
    Guh. So am I. Bored that is. Sadly, My weekends are spoken for until practically february. And one of them's only to babysit my 17 year old sister for a weekend. And by babysit, I mean making sure she eats and doesn't throw a rager in my parent's house. Otherwise, free to go about my business. Solely in the eastern mass area though. So no hiking that weekend.

Yes, I realize I'm whining. What do people think about the last weekend in Jan? I'm still waiting to hear about a job, which may affect how my weekend schedule/hiking schedule is, but hopefully, I'll be able to get out for a bit that weekend.
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lillianp View Post
    Yes, I realize I'm whining. What do people think about the last weekend in Jan? I'm still waiting to hear about a job, which may affect how my weekend schedule/hiking schedule is, but hopefully, I'll be able to get out for a bit that weekend.
    Hope you can make it, too. Bet it'll be pretty by then - probably lots of snow (Santa got me microspikes ) and certainly more sunlight. Fingers crossed!

Looks like I have the weekend of 1/22-23 free if anyone wants to plan a trip.

I would be interested in anywhere within about 3-4 hours drive of Northern/Central CT area. I'm not against night hiking either.

For winter hiking I strongly prefer a locale that allows fires.

I will have Juno my siberian husky with me, she is pretty good, Driver8 has met her.

I have snowshoes, microspikes and don't care if it's on trail or off. I however do not currently have an ice axe.

We have about a month, so if anyone is interested in planning something that would be great, otherwise I am going somewhere solo regardless.
    Last edited by Ironbelly; 12-29-2010 at 20:53.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    Looks like I have the weekend of 1/22-23 free if anyone wants to plan a trip.
    Howsabout a Stratton loop? Stratton-Arlington to summit to Pond? I can then make my way back to S/A and drive home from there. My only concern is whether my car will have issues with backcountry VT roads.

Anyone know how far west Stratton-Arlington is plowed? Until pavement's end, or to AT/LT trailhead?

Alternatively, we could tromp around in the NY/CT/MA taconics, with an emphasis on non-CT at fire-setting times. Or Greylock area. I'm open to other ideas, for that matter.

That sounds good or Racebrook falls in Sheffield to Great Barrington on the AT in Mass or Bulls Bridge to depot hill road is nice on the AT in NY or even the tunxis trail would be really nice since it is really close. Let me know if anyone is looking to go on a hike before that, as i have plenty of time to go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++