WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Scumbags caught

Images

Being a small, town everybody probably does know everyone. If that is true, most of the town knows their history with the law and also the rumors of what they didn't get caught at. Right...there is nobody defending the perps in any way because doing the deed is not out of the question and well within the probability of the truth. They have not grown up being "Such Good Boys"
    "May Your Feet Be Light and Your Gait Be Long"... Hobbler

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    Well it's better than paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for years just to kill the person ourselves. Waste not want not.

Riddle me this, Batman, what role would you have them in? In WW2 Penal Battallions were used to clear minefields, something that we typically don't have to worry about.

Counterinsurgency? I'm sure sending off a bunch of criminals to "win hearts and minds" makes sense.

Mind, I'm not into the whole "let's make an army of slaves" that you seem to be advocating. The reason why the US Military is better than others is not because of equipment(although that is important), it's because the DoD makes a huge investment in training and payroll to attract and retain high quality personnel.

Why on earth would you spend that much cash on a bunch of jackholes who beat up hikers for fun? Or folks who are on death row? You really think that would be cheaper than imprisionment or death row?

If you don't give those penal battalion folks the training or equipment, you still have to cover the living expenses and you are now diluting the overall quality of the military. Again, even covering 3 meals a day and barracks space I doubt that it would be cheaper than being in the state pen. We also wouldn't get a return on the investment because, again, the US Military is not a swarm of infantry with Mosin-nagants and our enemy is not a swarm of infantry with Mausers. There isn't exactly a niche out there for penal battalions.

I might add that you would have to hire trustworthy personnel to watch over the penal battalion(and fear for his/her own life). Since this isn't Stalinist Russia, you may find that the US Military will come up with a shortage of people willing to be commissioned officers in order to oversee a bunch of criminals.

Yeesh!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbler
    Like I said, (in addition to) the prison sentence, they should be made (under an armed guard) to be doing some (Hiking/ Trail/ Ecological) forced labor, if they even have the “good behavior” to qualify for “chain gang type work”. Of course, nothing to do with a meet and greet the hikers, but, for a couple of days every year of their sentence be forced to clean up Damascus after“Trail Days”. That would make them think a little about what the trail is and means to hikers. There might be other (safe and controlled) ways that the perps could give back so that hikers and Damascus residents can be re-assured that there is a message being sent. I would welcome to hear some others from all of you.
    I agree, work-release should fit the crime. Trail maintenance can be tough work, as can cleaning up after a big event like Trail Days. A high (foot)traffic area like Damascus practically screams for a chance of them wearing orange jumpsuits picking up garbage.

Being a small, town everybody probably does know everyone. If that is true, most of the town knows their history with the law and also the rumors of what they didn't get caught at. Right...there is nobody defending the perps in any way because doing the deed is not out of the question and well within the probability of the truth. They have not grown up being "Such Good Boys"
    Heh, I've noticed that too. Everyone is taking the "If you can't say something nice..." route.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Images

Just an off the cuff comment. Glad to see you've embraced it with such candor!
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Baron
    Images

Thumbs up

Just an off the cuff comment. Glad to see you've embraced it with such candor!

I work the mids shift in a guv'ment NOC, I literally have nowhere else to be at this time of night.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    I work the mids shift in a guv'ment NOC, I literally have nowhere else to be at this time of night.
    I have a similar sitting-for-hours-on-end job. If I was there I probably would have posted a longer reply.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Journal Entries
    Images

well thats one way to keep up during your shift. I take it its slow in the NOC?
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    well thats one way to keep up during your shift. I take it its slow in the NOC?

Small network, but since we support folks overseas we're manned 24/7. Oftentimes it's a bit like those "Maytag repairman" commercials around here.

Basically we swing between feast and famine with no middle.

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=Bucherm;1079676]Small network, but since we support folks overseas we're manned 24/7. Oftentimes it's a bit like those "Maytag repairman" commercials around here.

Basically we swing between feast and famine with no middle.[/QU

I worked a Mars station like that out at Irwin for a tour. Boreing. Called friends all the time till. I was Transfered.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

Default Jumpsuits

"I agree, work-release should fit the crime. Trail maintenance can be tough work, as can cleaning up after a big event like Trail Days. A high (foot)traffic area like Damascus practically screams for a chance of them wearing orange jumpsuits picking up garbage"......Bucherm

Yeah!.... and being seen by so many Damascus townspeople in their orange jumpsuits will have an uncomfortable effect on their psyche and further drive home the fact that they ganged-up on two defenseless hikers and gave Damascus a black eye.

Let's not stop with Damascus though. Anywhere along the trail where security could be maintained might work. Only have them do the “Grunt or Hard Labor” type of work....Trail work is hard, and a good possibility for them wearing their blaze orange suits...However, I am a little concerned with the escape possibilities. Might require 2 shotguns and 2 officers...Of course the officers need to be in reasonably good shape....Although any project that requires material to be carried into an area for say a shelter repair would keep their hands busy and give their legs a taste of what it is to be on the trail with a loaded pack and thus a greater appreciation of the “Hiker”

Better yet...Schedule them to do nothing but privy duty (“Doody”) and make them carry materials on the way in. And when there is a relocation of a privy, make them at least dig a new pit by hand so that the volunteers don't have to do it. Now that would be doing for hikers. I feel that the hiker population would feel that this, in addition to their prison sentence, would be justice being served.

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbler View Post
    Yeah!.... and being seen by so many Damascus townspeople in their orange jumpsuits will have an uncomfortable effect on their psyche and further drive home the fact that they ganged-up on two defenseless hikers and gave Damascus a black eye.
    Three is "so many?" According to wikipedia(I know, I know) Damascus had a population of 981. That's less than half of a percent.

Maybe trailwork is wishful thinking on my part, but having them clean up after Trail Days wouldn't be a Bad Thing.

Images

My BIL did a 3 year stip + about 18 mo served on a 5 - 15 for armed robbery. Work details outside in the fresh air, and actually doing something other than being in your cell or the yard, especially away from roads and under minimum supervision / guard like you guys are talking about are reserved for prisoners who are near release and aren't an escape risk. These three may eventually get into such a detail, but my guess would be not for a while. Apparently they have differences in their criminal involvement and histories too, which may play into sentencing and even the nature of their incarceration.

If they had only committed a crime against property, like stealing, it might be different - but with a crime against persons a physical assault against a person has been committed. The justice system treats the two types of crimes very differently. I don't think you'll see any of these three on the trail anytime soon.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I have to disagree with those that fear a long punishment will make them a better criminal, thus shouldn't be given hard time, and those that think that it may be better to put them on the AT to work off their debt to society.

They have shown themselves to be mindless and rabid in their actions. Fortunately this incident did not end as badly as it could have. What if they had crossed paths with a lone female or elderly hiker first? Would there be talk of a more lenient punishment then?

Quote Originally Posted by thebrothersgumm View Post
    As the victim...I don't think they need to go to prison for 20 years for what happened. I do think they need punishing. But not 20 years worth. The worst that happened to me was that I had a busted lip for a week. We were rather shaken, yes, and me more so that Double Dribble. But that's gone. And we weren't screaming for our lives or any of that ****. We got jumped. By a couple of punks who thought they were being cool.

The main reason I want them punished is because of what they did, I had to cut the greatest adventure of my life short. By 1500 miles. If I ever do get the chance to hike it again, rest assured I will. I think they should go to prison, for say at most 10 years. Hopefully, that will teach them something, they can get released and enjoy life from their late 20's on.
    I’m with Whistle and Double Dribble, TheBrothersGumm.

When criminal freaks don’t get court ordered intervention, their crimes tend to escalate.

Such as the young man who fooled with the system too long and got away with light taps from the court, until one day a game officer encountered the emboldened petty criminal in the woods. No one was looking so he took the leap: he wrested the gun from her hands, breaking her fingers, then shot her dead. It took 25 years to carry out the sentence but those close to the case finally got relief when he uttered his last words in the death chamber this year.

I got my relief. I wish the same for TheBrothersGumm, to whatever degree that gives them peace.

Images

Three is "so many?" According to wikipedia(I know, I know) Damascus had a population of 981. That's less than half of a percent.

Maybe trailwork is wishful thinking on my part, but having them clean up after Trail Days wouldn't be a Bad Thing.
    I was referring to them being uncomfortable being seen by any of the townspeople, that might view them doing the cleanup after Trail Days. After-all, they live there. Hopefully, many of the locals (neighbors and friends) would witness their cleaning up. Not just 3. A lot probably would show up along with some from the hiker population to see justice being carried out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    My BIL did a 3 year stip + about 18 mo served on a 5 - 15 for armed robbery. Work details outside in the fresh air, and actually doing something other than being in your cell or the yard, especially away from roads and under minimum supervision / guard like you guys are talking about are reserved for prisoners who are near release and aren't an escape risk. These three may eventually get into such a detail, but my guess would be not for a while. Apparently they have differences in their criminal involvement and histories too, which may play into sentencing and even the nature of their incarceration.

If they had only committed a crime against property, like stealing, it might be different - but with a crime against persons a physical assault against a person has been committed. The justice system treats the two types of crimes very differently. I don't think you'll see any of these three on the trail anytime soon.

I still think that making them do the Trail Days cleanup yearly could be done and would be a fitting part of their punishment. Especially since the corrections department would have the aid of the local law enforcement right there to supply additional manpower.

Trail work for them, on second thought, might be a huge logistic problem when it comes to safety. And as pointed out, they did do a crime against persons not against property...That does make them more dangerous to the population. Maybe later in their sentence they will be given a chance to smell some fresh air and do other supervised work.

making them do TD cleanup or trail work is a bunch of horse crap. these guys all have extensive criminal records. they need to do hard time in a prison and not county lockup. period

Images

We should have penal battalions.
    Hey! Hey! Hey!

Don't ask, Don't tell.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    making them do TD cleanup or trail work is a bunch of horse crap. these guys all have extensive criminal records. they need to do hard time in a prison and not county lockup. period
    LW...I usually agree with your comments and since you know these boys on a level that most of us don't, I will defer and do agree with your "hard time in prison" assessment. However, I have not, nor will advocate merely them being in a county lock up. Charges and convictions brought on them should be of the nature that they become wards of the State or Federal corrections system.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    making them do TD cleanup or trail work is a bunch of horse crap.......They need to do hard time in a prison and not county lockup. period

Couldn't agree more, LW. I am tired of people not learning from their "mistakes". The difference between humans and animals, is that humans are supposedly know better. It's funny how a dog can be put down for biting a human, which the dog doesn't know any better. Where as a human can abuse, rape, and murder other humans, and they get locked up in a kennel...on my dime. And then, released back into population.

I would take a biting dog down the street, any day.

I feel like watching some Clint Eastwood...Hang 'Em High, anyone?
    2013 AT NOBO - 03/13/13 to 08/14/13

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pistol p View Post
    I feel like watching some Clint Eastwood...Hang 'Em High, anyone?
    So many criminals, so few purveyors of justice.

"That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++