WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Waterproof Gloves

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some ideas for gloves for backpacking. I use glove liners when hiking (if I need them), but when it's cold and raining/snowing, I was hoping to find some waterproof gloves to put over them, or to replace them (and also give me warmth in camp when I'm not moving anymore. I have only been able to find really cumbersome ski gloves. I'm also on a budget. Any thoughts? What do you like?

Thanks!!

I have these for extreme weather conditions

http://www.rei.com/product/758402

Try them on with your liners, you may need to size up for the extra bulk.

Journal Entries
    Images

C- Stepper info is tight - good choice - If you are looking cheaper - Remember Neopreen Fishing/kayak gloves are at Dick Sporting Goods. The basics of a wet suit.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have SealSkinz gloves and socks for freezing rain conditions.
    http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/se...nz-gloves.html
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Images

I use Manzella N2S Gortex windstopper gloves alone for hiking in mild wet weather and with a smartwool liner for colder weather.
    http://www.rei.com/product/766532 or
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___73753

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm looking for some ideas for gloves for backpacking. I use glove liners when hiking (if I need them), but when it's cold and raining/snowing, I was hoping to find some waterproof gloves to put over them, or to replace them (and also give me warmth in camp when I'm not moving anymore. I have only been able to find really cumbersome ski gloves. I'm also on a budget. Any thoughts? What do you like?

Thanks!!
    When you stop you need to shed the wet layers for dry clothes. Socks and gloves need to be dry to keep you warm when you stop moving and generating internal heat. I know there are a lot of new, and expensive, gloves on the market now. I doubt that many of them are worth the money--wet is wet no matter how high tech the product. If you are out for a day hike anything will do. But if you have to stay out over night in cold weather, you need to put on dry gloves to keep your hands and body warm.

Wool is a good fabric because it does offer a bit of warmth even when wet. Some light fleece also works, if not soaking wet, and can be wrung out and will dry quickly. Light liners, like smartwool, work well and dry quickly. OR wind stopper fleece works great in gloves and mitts and is worth the expense.

My set up--wool/angora fingerless gloves x2 so one is always dry, primaloft overmits, gortex shell mitts. In the winter I also add a pair of full finger wool liners-army surplus will do or smartwool. In summer I often carry a pair of mechanix gloves for wood gathering and rock climbing protection.

Try to keep your hands as dry as possible by keeping them covered by your rain coat sleeves or in your jacket pockets when you can. Put on your driest gloves or mitts when you get into your bag for the night.

Ski gloves are good for skiers--for hikers not so much. They take forever to dry and are heavy when wet.

MLD event mittens. Light and breathes. Yes they are expensive but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by billreyn1 View Post
    I concur.

I wouldn't suggest neopreen gloves unless your doing a backcounty fishing trip in late fall to early spring. I use a pair of shell type over mitts and and a couple of pairs of liner gloves. I also carry a pair of wetherproof outdoor work gloves master mechanic makes some nice ones. I treated the overshells with by washing them with a Nixwax washin treatment when I do my rain gear they keep the water out and still breathe. I do alot of differant outdoor activities and most of my gear does double or triple duty. I also carry a pack or two of those handi heaters they are really nice if you catch a soaking while setting up camp. throw them inside my shells and they dry the gloves and your hands while your wearing them.

Here's what I hope to receive for Xmas gift this year:
    Mittens... $45 and very light
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=51

Images

Quote Originally Posted by billreyn1 View Post
    Yes. In fact, mittens of any type are much preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Yes. In fact, mittens of any type are much preferred.
    agreed. i'm piney over the mld events as i type this.

Cheapest is plastic bags over mittens or gloves. Ragg wool, Merino wool or Possumdown best. I like a WPB mitt rather than plastic bags and have an OR Goretex mitt. eVent mitts would be even better, lighter, and more $$$ if you can afford them.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I have nothing to add. . . just wanted to say hi to Peanut. . . Hi Peanut. . .

Images

Another vote for MLD eVent rain mitts. The gaiters are really good too.

Now, don't everybody start laughing at once. I used to wear lined jersey work gloves when I took care of cattle and worked on tractors in the winter. Here is a link: http://www.criticaltool.com/lined-co...phis-7900.html

They are sure cheap enough. The idea is that no matter how wet they get, the poly/cotton exterior wicks the moisture away from the lining and your hands stay fairly dry. You can just wring them out after dipping the ice chunks out of the water trough and then make a few dry snowballs and you are good to get back to work. I swear they really work and how can you go wrong at about two bucks at the hardware store. The kind I used to buy were denim blue and the lining was that old fashioned fleece that was like hairs sticking through the fabric. I don't know if the newer ones work as well, but the old ones were pretty amazing. Size them a bit loose so you get some air circulation.

I bet the new eVent gloves and mitts are really great, but in my experience 'waterproof' means they are 'wet inside' eventually.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    Now, don't everybody start laughing at once. I used to wear lined jersey work gloves when I took care of cattle and worked on tractors in the winter. Here is a link: http://www.criticaltool.com/lined-co...-7900.html...I bet the new eVent gloves and mitts are really great, but in my experience 'waterproof' means they are 'wet inside' eventually.
    hahahahahahahahahaha!

Just kidding. I'm going to try them out based on your experience. For 2 bucks, it's worth the knowledge either way.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    Now, don't everybody start laughing at once. I used to wear lined jersey work gloves when I took care of cattle and worked on tractors in the winter. Here is a link: http://www.criticaltool.com/lined-co...-7900.html...I bet the new eVent gloves and mitts are really great, but in my experience 'waterproof' means they are 'wet inside' eventually.
    hahahahahahahahahaha!

Just kidding. I'm going to try them out based on your experience. For 2 bucks, it's worth the knowledge either way.

Journal Entries
    Images

How'd that happen?

Can anyone tell me what type of liners they are wearing with the MLD mittens?
    My hands get really cold in the rain and wondering if anyone had suggestions?

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++