WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

you know this already, but don't be afraid to hike alone. It's probably better to start your hike alone since it is a feat in itself to spent 24/7 with the same person for 6 months. Being free of obligations towards a hiking partner opens up alot more adventures on trail. And you meet alot more very interesting and amazing people along the way.

Good luck on a future attempt.
    Trail Name: Cerveza

planning a Thru-Hike cindellasaurus's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sherrill View Post
    Jerkwad is Katz seduced by the dark side of the force.
    Hahaha. This is fantastic, and quite true. I'm surprised Jerkwad didn't start chucking his food out when he decided the hike was too difficult. The few meals that I spent with him and Other Guy, Jerkwad expected Other Guy to cook his food for him, just because they were sharing a stove.. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd dumped his food to lessen his pack weight, and then asked Other Guy to not only cook his food, but supply it.

One thing is for certain...time wounds all heels. Jerkwad (nice trail name btw...) will one day mouth off in the presence of someone less restrained than the father who happened by during the unfortunate rap at the campground, and perhaps he'll learn from the mistake. As for future long-section or thru-hiking plans, I suggest northbounding. Plenty of personalities to choose from and you'll likely find a crew that hikes your speed and is pleasant company at the shelter...also a bit nicer weather-wise and a bigger bite of trail society in general, and of course, trail-days.

Images

Really sorry you had such a crummy experience on your first attempt. Unfortunately, there's a lot of these types out there (read: asshats) and we have to deal with them. Fortunately, there aren't a lot on the trail. You made the right choice. Lighting bugs on fire and yelling "bitches ain't ****?" Sounds like a psychopathic wanksta. Your hike would have been miserable if you stayed with him and it sounds like his rudeness would have given you a bad rep by association up and down the trail and his recklessness would have gotten you injured or worse.

A friend and I are starting from Maine in June 2012 (that's the plan anyway). I'll give you a heads up when it gets closer in case you're interested in joining. If you're in college though I'd advise you finish before doing it. My graduation gift to myself! I'll still let you know anyway. Happy trails!
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

I just find it funny that the guy had a buck knife AND a machette. Sounds like a real tool. You were better off without him. Someone like that will probably get you killed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    I just find it funny that the guy had a buck knife AND a machette. Sounds like a real tool. You were better off without him. Someone like that will probably get you killed.
    This is why I don't think hiking with someone else is inherently safer than going it alone. Safety isn't a zero sum game but hiking with an inexperienced or unprepared person can be a net negative in terms of safety.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    I just find it funny that the guy had a buck knife AND a machette. Sounds like a real tool.
    Really. A Samurai sword and knife set would have been much lighter.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Get a dog. Airedales are great.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++