WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    safty first. wife second
    You aren't married, are you?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

They will tell you, you can't sleep alone in a strange place
    Then they'll tell you, you can't sleep with somebody else
    Ah, but sooner or later you sleep in your own space
    Either way it's okay to wake up with yourself.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

pack light and share your sleeping bag

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

re: Safety first vs what the other half wants

I've learned that I always get the last words in any discussion with my girlfriend... "Yes dear".
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

i ment you need at least 15 degree bags. minimum. mummy bags are not constricting. only yours is . cause it aint all that. and tents in shelters is horrid. do that and im not helping you ever. or likeing you. and no one wants you to sleep two in a bag. they make bags for that. their called, the kind you dont have.and if your bags zip together or not is something you may not ever have heard of. and i belive this trip will end in frozen regret.your one of those guys who takes safty lightly.dont. if the record lows for the area cannot be survived in your bags with your skill level,..and if they occur,......then u learn why matthewski is your friend. ill come out with wolf and git ya. but it wil cost you. alot of embarresment.be safe. ur not starting a fire after wakeing up cold and wet in a record low with your skillset. all your doing then is shivering and trying to light a fire. trust me. your gonna freeze. heres my number. call if you have signal where you camp and ill tell you what to do if its 4 in the morn and 20 degrees with wind . ill say stuff like, take off all your clothes and unzip the foot section of your bag 12 inches and go back to sleep. and youll think thats crazy. and i might tell you to do isotonics. or eat jello. or one of a million things u might not know to do when shes dangerously hypothermed. i help ya. and ill bring lwolf. he has money.

questions while freezing? call matthewski. 215 668 0898. ill asses your situation and give you life saveing instructions.of course you wont be able to dial frozen and all. might wanna activate voice command and location feature on the cell. and for gods sake, take it easy and stay calm .remember, most marshmallow toasting related bigfoot deaths occur in this area at this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    re: Safety first vs what the other half wants

I've learned that I always get the last words in any discussion with my girlfriend... "Yes dear".
    I knew she was "Mrs. Right." I just didn't realize her first name was "Always."

Quote Originally Posted by StorminMormon View Post
    So my wife and I will be on the AT this weekend and this is her first backpacking trip so I'm trying to make it nice. We will have a tent with us but she seems bent on sleeping in the shelter each night. I don't know...I guess it's the novelty of the whole thing. Anyway, what can I do to help make sleeping in the shelter more comfortable? We'll both have 20 degree bags, and inflatable pads. I picked up a few "hand warmers" to open up and toss in our bag to make it a little warmer.

As near as I can tell, the temp this weekend near Hot Springs will be low 30s on one night and possibly low 20s the second night. I thought of us sleeping shoulder to shoulder in our bags, and wrapping a large space blanket over the top of us. Would that work? I know the tent will be warmer and so I'm pretty sure I'm going to setup the tent and we'll try to sleep in the shelter, and if it's not working out...we'll move to the already setup tent.

Thanks in advance for your help!

she will spend 1 night miserable in a shelter at her insistence. then you, in your mighty wisdom, will be the savior on saturday night with a nice dry, warm tent that you should have sat up in the first place on friday night. but you will shut up and be nice about it because you love her.

thank you kanga. but the second night wont be in the mountains. shes looking at a forced frozen forggettable march back to the cars heater at dawn. folowed by an argumentative ride home complaining and finaly, a call to her girlfriend recounting the horror. future trips will find you hiking alone with matthewski like you should have done.lol.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    [insert situation of choice] but you will shut up and be nice about it because you love her.
    well, duh
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    well, duh
    I am still learning that lesson at times. Stubborn (and vocal) Eye-talian that I am...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

u used a curseword. saying italian that way offend me deeply. appologize .

i will now moderate whiteblaxe propperly. apoogize now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++