WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Walmart poles

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    My Leki's seem to have vanished, so I had to buy a pair from Wallyworld since I was in a bind. I can't tell any difference. I bet if you painted both brands black, no one else could either. I'll probably end up with another pair of Leki's, but just because I want cushioning, and can get them on a pro form.
    Paint your Leki's red and no one will take them....just a thought.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Can't tell the difference?? Its like carrying a boulder in your arms vs a pebble .... walmart poles are good if you wanna carry a boulder and have them fail when you need them the most. And yes, i talk from experiance ...

My Wal Mart Swiss Gear poles have been with me for 7 years, I have had to fix the twist locks on them a couple of times, but it's easy to fix. I even still have some of the metal tip still on both of them.

Baskets were gone within the first year. But other than that, they have been durable, reliable, and wonderful.

I have since upgraded to a better set of poles, but my Wal Mart poles to this day get handed out to people joining us on hikes.

I'm getting a pair of the new flick lock versions soon as backups.

People complain about them being cheap and problem proned, but there is also a lot of people who have had them for a very long time. I've also heard of high end Lekis breaking on the trail more than a few times as well.

Wal Mart poles are just fine. And if your arms are delicate enough to not be able to handle the slight extra weight of these poles, then a gym should be a major consideration. For the money, they are the best bang for the buck in the backpacking world.

Images

I'm considering investing in a better pair of poles then my walmart. Well I guess I would have to say more expensive pair. Can someone explain to me how one set of poles is better then another set?

Quality of materials,
    Design,
    Strenght.
    Warranty...
    Weight for strength,
    ease of use,
    trailside repair when needed...

* see Leki.com

YES, I am the Leki rep....Thank you
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    Quality of materials,
    Design,
    Strenght.
    Warranty...
    Weight for strength,
    ease of use,
    trailside repair when needed...

* see Leki.com

YES, I am the Leki rep....Thank you
    yeah but which leki set do you recommend? there are quite a few!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    yeah but which leki set do you recommend? there are quite a few!
    They are all fairly similar - just poles after all. But here's the bigger differences

Material of poles. Cheap poles like WM will be of a 6000 series aluminum alloy, while better poles like Leki's, Black Diamond, Komperdell, etc will generally be of 7000 series alloy which is lighter for a given strength. There is also carbon composite, aka graphite, which is lighter. Aluminum vs carbon is hotly debated. Both will do the job.

Material of grips. Cheaper poles will generally have thermoplastic injection moled grips. They aren't as nice on the hands as the better materials used on more expensive poles, such as cork and synthetic rubber mixes, etc.

Anti-shock. Many poles come with a spring built into the locking mechanism of the lower pole section. Proponents say they soften the impact and are less fatiguing to elbows and wrists. Some say they are worse as they don't like any give when they plant the pole. Again, hotly debated.

Flip lock vs twist. The flip locks adjust quicker and easier especially with gloves on. But again, it isn't a huge issue except to a few.

Price. You probably have this figured out already. Cheap poles can be had for as little as $20 or less per pair. Higher end Aluminum $80 to $140. Carbon usually $150 to $200. But check around for sales. I just bought a pair of Leki Makalu's with Corklite grips for $62 on Sierra Trading Post (they're sold out now).

Happy hunting
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    They are all fairly similar - just poles after all. But here's the bigger differences

Material of poles. Cheap poles like WM will be of a 6000 series aluminum alloy, while better poles like Leki's, Black Diamond, Komperdell, etc will generally be of 7000 series alloy which is lighter for a given strength. There is also carbon composite, aka graphite, which is lighter. Aluminum vs carbon is hotly debated. Both will do the job.

Material of grips. Cheaper poles will generally have thermoplastic injection moled grips. They aren't as nice on the hands as the better materials used on more expensive poles, such as cork and synthetic rubber mixes, etc.

Anti-shock. Many poles come with a spring built into the locking mechanism of the lower pole section. Proponents say they soften the impact and are less fatiguing to elbows and wrists. Some say they are worse as they don't like any give when they plant the pole. Again, hotly debated.

Flip lock vs twist. The flip locks adjust quicker and easier especially with gloves on. But again, it isn't a huge issue except to a few.

Price. You probably have this figured out already. Cheap poles can be had for as little as $20 or less per pair. Higher end Aluminum $80 to $140. Carbon usually $150 to $200. But check around for sales. I just bought a pair of Leki Makalu's with Corklite grips for $62 on Sierra Trading Post (they're sold out now).

Happy hunting
    Thanks buzzard!
    I don't think I would like the shock absorber too. I dont need any give going down hills!
    my wally world poles are the kind that have the twist lock. they have also an untwist while you walk mechicanism! LOL my dad put some screws in them. So I would believe that i would prefer a flip lock.
    This has been a really good trekking pole education for me, and I thank you for taking the time to post this!

Images

hey no offense and pardon my french, but i got a friend icing his ass right now because he took a digger on some ice on mt greylock in mass. no thanks to the crappy walmart poles that he was using to support help him along. i'm twice his weight and my black diamond trail ergo's with the cork handles experienced none of the above.

I paid $29.95 for a pair of Alpine Design trekking poles at Sports Authority. The have twist locking mechanisms, carbide tips, shock absorbers (I actually prefer the slight give which BTW, can be turned off when and if you choose). Mine also have cork handles. Are they the best...no, but they have served me well over the last two years and while I have been tempted to purchase higher end poles, I always find myself allocating that money elsewhere as these poles have caused me NO problems to date.

Images

I have been using a set of the blue walmart poles with the microscopic compass in the handle for about 2 years. I weight 275-290 lbs and my poles have not broken. The twisting locking mechanizem broke so I used small self tapping screws to lock the poles open. Only drawback is that I can not collaspe them. Good news is that that I don't have to adjust them before each hike anymore. For $20 I consider them a bargin and expect to get several more years of use out of them. I keep them in the back of my van so I always know where they are.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

The walmart poles did great for me. Never had a problems with the locks, unless trying to close the pole down, and they certainly had my weight + pack weight + momentum pushed down on them several times. Only problem I ran into was tip wear, which will happen with any poles. I preferred the plastic/rubbery grip over the cork though - but that's just personal preference at that point.

About 1300m into the trip one of my poles took a ride downstream. : ( I spent half a day in the water looking for it, but it vanished. Ended up using a very solid stick "the staff" from there on out... Did the job just as well, but took a solid week or more for my arm to get in shape using it. I did miss the 'tip' afterwards, but the staff worked when I needed it most.

Images

please study the high cost of low price and stay away from walmart - they are awful - find you some poles on e-bay or from a better company - support a local outdoor shop if you can, hell, send me a message if you need some poles and I'll send you some for cheap --old ski poles maybe - I have 5 or 6 pairs of trekking poles too - really - please don't support walmart - I've gone to just one single pole anyway - that seems to be plenty ....

Journal Entries
    Images

I have found carbon ski poles at the local Thrift Stores. They cost about $2.50 for the pair. -Chaplain
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

I also have a pair of Walmart Hiking poles. Work just fine. Never noticed the weight. Used them on various trails including AT and CDT (not thru hikes). Like others, I was dubious about them at first, but they sure helped me going downhill especially. I'll probably keep using the carbon ski poles too. Nice. I don't want to put out say $100.00+ for these. I'll keep using what I have (Walmart and carbon ski poles found at a thrift store.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

aka Kudzu
    Images

Having recently replaced my cheapo Wal-Mart poles with Black Diamond Trail Shock poles I can attest that there's a world of difference. If nothing else the comfort of the handles and wrist straps is a thousand times better with the BDs. The Flicklock mechanism is awesome. I really love these poles and wish I would've upgraded many miles ago.

BD Trail Shock Review
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Don't overlook snowshoeing poles. I have a set of adjustable Tubbs that came free with my showshoes, and they have worked fine as trekking poles for the past three years, still going strong.

Images

support a local outdoor shop if you can
    I would love to but the nearest one is a 2 hour drive vrs 20 minutes for WallyWord. There is a Dicks Sporting goods 1 hour away but they just have a larger selction of lower end camping gear like WallyWorld.

When I travel I try to stop of at places like REI but even then I can only get to one maybe twice a year.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

I too use a pair of Outdoor Products flick-lock poles that I bought at Walmart. Have used a single ski pole for many years as that is what I used for man tracking during my search & rescue years.

I carry a cheap dollar store knife with a cross-point screwdriver tool for tightening the flick locks from time to time.

I've been real happy with the Outdoor Products brand poles. One does have a slight bend now from arresting a fall, but it still collapses and locks tight. I bought a second set so I can outfit two family members with a set of 2 or four family with 1 each.

I note that many older Outdoor Products gear is no longer being stocked by Walmart. May be time to stock up or buy spares.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Yep, the flip lock poles are disappearing from Walmart replaced by a twist lock pole sold in pairs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++