WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Dave, your best bet is to give PATC a call and ask about the Circuit Hikes in Shenandoah National Park book.

Number: 703-242-0315

Hours: Monday & Thursday, 7 PM to 9 PM
    Thursday & Friday, Noon to 2 PM

The limited hours are because they are a volunteer organization with a small staff. You can probably call the number any time and leave a voice message asking them to return your call.

Thank you, all the ideas and assistance are greatly appreciated........ that goes for everyone.... sincere thanks, I always appreciate help I may get and hope to someday be able to return some.

Images

I'd recommend 75 Hikes in Virginia's Shenandoah National Park.It's a very well written book with great information on trails, lodging , and also highlighting trail attractions .

Picked this up at Big Meadows , but their website is www.mountaineersbooks.org
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    I'd recommend 75 Hikes in Virginia's Shenandoah National Park.It's a very well written book with great information on trails, lodging , and also highlighting trail attractions .

Picked this up at Big Meadows , but their website is www.mountaineersbooks.org
    I some how missed this suggestion, thanks.

Images

[QUOTE=Ol Mole;1066470]
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydave View Post
    Hi all, I'm new here and am going to pester you all with a "nube" question, so please forgive me.

I'm going to be visiting the SNP area in ealy February (2011) for a week.
    We'll be staying just outside of Elkton.

There is a good chance that the Drive will be closed at that time of the year. Look at the fire roads that go up the mountain from the west or east. These are almost always accessable as a starting point. Just south of ELkton is a fire road that goes up to Brown Mountain gap. It can make a good loop.

On the east side, going up the fire road (Rapidan River) to Camp Hoover is great in the snow.

Hope your hike is great.
    After years of living right next to the drive, I can say that close the drive when they get weather. In February we will have snow, if it's like all the other years. The best thing you can do is buy the SNP hike book/ books. There are trails that start on the outside of the park which you can hike.

if Skyline Drive is closed I very often will hike from Swift Run Gap south on the AT up to Hightop summit - very good view from the top - then down to Hightop Hut for lunch and to read the register - from there I usually take an unofficial trail back down to Swift Run Overlook but since it is an unmarked trail I would not recommend it solo unless you are good following old trails - this trail branches from the trail that leads to the spring at Hightop Hut and follows an old road that goes basically North - for a little longer hike I'll hike the AT down to Smith Roach Gap and then road walk back to the car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++