WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Digital camera for the trail

My digital camera has passed the decade mark and I have decided that it's time for an upgrade.

I'm interested in opinions on some of the rugged cameras that are on market. The reviews tend to be both ends of the spectrum - people seem to either love or hate them.

Does anyone have one of these cameras and if so would you recommend it based upon your own experiences?

olympus stylus tough

had mine aqbout a year. can't break it

Clyde

Quote Originally Posted by rcli4 View Post
    olympus stylus tough

Clyde
    Another vote for one of the Olympus "tough" series cameras. Waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, etc. and takes good pictures as an added bonus.

I used a Sony Cybershot last year that used 2 AA batteries. That was important to me since I didn't want to be tied down to the proprietary battery and an extra charger.

Go to this link then hit Camera Advisor, then Other Attributes to do a search of available brands/ models.

Images

I have the canon digital elph 780i 12MP camera. Been through a beating (including being soaked in a kayak trip) and it shoots great video and pics.

Panasonic TS2.
    Waterproof/shockproof/compact/28mm wide angle/about 300 shots per charge.
    Some manual functions .
    A couple of shots from the TS1:

Shots by my mate Yair Kellner
    (tip, most shots are underexposed by 1.5 stops)
    Franco

Images

Nice shots. Will have to look at that Panasonic.

Unfortunately for a lot of us, the most important part and feature of any camera is what's standing behind the lens.

I think I am going to put the Olympus 6020 on my wish list. I just found out that it is the camera my cousin carried when we climbed Bond Falls in Jamaica as well as the endorsements for the line here.

I generally don't get such expensive items as gifts but Amazon's wish list tool is a great way to keep track of what has/has not been acquired in my quest for gearing up for the trail.

Thanks for all of the replies. Spokes, that camera advisor is a pretty nice tool.

Images

Franco, very nice photos!
    Simple is good.

Images

I'm looking at a Canon EOS Rebel T1i. Anyone with any advice? Too fancy a camera to risk taking out on rugged trail? Or just get a good, well padded pack for it? I want the 15.1 mpx and its many other features - want to capture, well, the shot of Mt. Washington and the far Adirondacks from Greylock on an A+ clear day, hi-res Washington from Lafayette, Mansfield from Killington, etc.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Default Olympus stylus

Mine's a old 720. Gets hammered in my pack with all my other trail gear but is holding up to trail crew abuse. Newer models may have more options. Don't judge the picture quality by these attachments though, as I had to downsize them greatly for this site. Camera takes good pics.

Cold weather:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/atta...1&d=1288312959

Hot weather:

Wet weather:

Close ups, etc. all taken with Stylus. Watch in HD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrYsFlx3OSY

I can second the Panasonic Lumix TS2. I've been really happy with mine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rcli4 View Post
    olympus stylus tough

Clyde
    Well, I can attest that they can fail, at least it's water proofness. About 1-2 years ago, I bought 850SW model from Sam's Club. It eats up batteries fast. It lost its water proofness. I was somewhat upset at not getting my money's worth and knew I wouldnt have much luck with Olympus and/or Sam's Club. So I bought the current version at Sam's, the 3000 and then retuned it with the 850SW.

Was it wrong for me to do that?
    Was it wrong that I got a 'lemon' as far I'm concerned?

The 3000 takes the same battery as the 850SW and doesnt seem to go through batteries as fast. I've only had the 3000 about a month now, so it's too early to know how well it will hold up, but I like it so far.

SMSP

Images

Oh, forgot to mention, the 850SW's audio quality in video mode was crap. The 3000 audio quality in video mode pretty good.

SMSP

I have the Panasonic TS1. Love it. I've used it snorkeling, hiking, and normal stuff. It's the older model so you can get it real inexpensive.

Images

Have had a Pentax W90 for a few months, works good for me - easy to use, decent picture quality, rugged, waterproof, etc. weight 6oz.

"I have the Panasonic TS1. Love it. I've used it snorkeling, hiking, and normal stuff. It's the older model so you can get it real inexpensive."

good point.
    When I was looking for a camera for my mate (we both worked in photographic retail for years but I was the camera buyer...) the TS2 was out but I could not justify the $200 dollar difference .
    Sometime "superseded" is not a bad thing ( for the customer, not so much for a shop)
    Franco

Update: I did buy the Olympus 6020. It has been a flop. The pictures are not as good as my old 5mp Kodak from 2000. I got about 100 pics out of the camera before the battery would no longer accept a charge at all.

Olympus is standing behind the warranty. (They should - it has been barely used. Two trips and it failed on the second.) I sent it in last week and got an email today stating it has been repaired.

I just can't recommend it as a good buy. I bought it to take pictures; not to test the warranty. So far the warranty is the only thing that has held up to expectations.

Images

Thanks for the follow-up.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

I just bought a Canon Powershot A1200 for my thru-hike next month. It takes AA batteries; I've been using it for a week or two now and am enjoying it. It's fairly light and very easy to use. It's taken good pictures so far. It's a newer model-just came out this month.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++