WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Fuji Finepix XP-10

I bought a Fuji XP-10 a little over a month ago. I got one backup battery for not-much, off Amazon, and a second card. I used it for a week in the Everglades. The pictures were basically good. In some ways I liked my old Sony better, but it wasn't waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof or dustproof. I haven't dropped the camera (yet), but I did dunk it a few times in the Gulf of Mexico, and it was fine. Since then, I've been taking it to the pool during kayak rolling sessions. Sometimes it's on the edge of the pool, and sometimes it's in the pool. So far it's been a trooper. The video is good, and it lets you zoom in and out, and the sound seems to be ok. It was a little bit over $100, so I figured it was worth a try. I'm not willing to spend a lot of money on a camera (what is it chicks say... "cheep, cheep, CHEAP!"). And, it comes in about five boring-to-exciting colors! I figure it will be good for hiking, canoeing, kayaking, rafting and snorkeling. It can only go down to about 10 feet, so scuba people need to find something else.

Pringles

I like the Canon SX230HS because of the CMOS processor but do not like the GPS because of the power drain.
    Can the GPS be turned off entirely? Any Canon alternative with cmos. 10+ megapixels & 10+ zoom??

Technology lists

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Willy's Choice

Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    I like the Canon SX230HS because of the CMOS processor but do not like the GPS because of the power drain.
    Can the GPS be turned off entirely? Any Canon alternative with cmos. 10+ megapixels & 10+ zoom??
    The S95 is the smallest and lightest camera in it's market segment. It'll do RAW capture, and it has a real fast lens (F2-4.9) with a fairly wide focal length (28-105mm eq). It costs $418 and weighs 193 g

The ELPH 300 is a skinny, lightweight jewel which has a fairly fast lens (F/2.7-5.9), and real wide focal length (24-120mm eq). It costs $225 and weighs 141 g.

The S95, being more of a no compromise camera as far as imagery goes, has a CCD image capture device. The S95 has a CMOS. If your desire for CMOS is based on battery life, Canon says the ELPH will record approx 220 images and remain powered for 5 hours. The S95 will record 200 shots, and still run approx. 5 hours ...

I'd love the former, but might compromise image quality for weight and price in favor of the latter
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I used a Sony Cybershot last year that used 2 AA batteries. That was important to me since I didn't want to be tied down to the proprietary battery and an extra charger.

Go to this link then hit Camera Advisor, then Other Attributes to do a search of available brands/ models.
    Hey - that was great. Just went there, found a Canon camera that uses AA batteries and weighs less than 5 oz and bought it!

Just finished 3 week section hike a long AT with new Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3. I am really happy with my purchase. The only fault I could find is a lack of lens cover. Often, the lens would get wet and foggy (on the outside) so next time I will bring a little lens cloth to keep it clean and dry. I might also put a screen protector on the back viewing screen as I got a few scratches.

Battery life was good. Although, for most of the trip I had the GPS off to conserve juice. I only charge it once over the three weeks and think I could have done it all on one charge. I took over 400 photos (most without flash).

Images

I picked up the new Kodak C123 from Wal-Mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kodak-C123Red/15935268

It is $69. It takes AA's. The pics are good. The video is so-so and reminds me of watching old 8mm films my grandfather took of us as little kids, but in a more modren form. The video is not HD. But for the price, being water proof, and shock proof, I figured I'd give it a test run. Took it to the water park the other. It was splashed and dunked and so far, so good.

Granted, this camera does not have the bells and whistles of the Olympus cameras I have owned, but for the price of this camera with some basic features and the fact that it akes AA batteries, well, I am going to consider keeping it.

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Thumbs up Good photos from "Down Under"...

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Franco, very nice photos!
    Franco, very nice desktop shots for my PC!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

[XFLOAT][/XFLOAT]
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I'm looking at a Canon EOS Rebel T1i. Anyone with any advice? Too fancy a camera to risk taking out on rugged trail? Or just get a good, well padded pack for it? I want the 15.1 mpx and its many other features - want to capture, well, the shot of Mt. Washington and the far Adirondacks from Greylock on an A+ clear day, hi-res Washington from Lafayette, Mansfield from Killington, etc.
    Love my Canon EOS Rebel, just be careful on the terrain and weather.

A few more shots to show why I like the WP type cameras.
    Sometimes having a camera that can be just pulled out of the pocket and is not afraid of rain or snow, allows you to grab the moment.
    Trip-1.jpg
    Magic-moment.jpg
    Trip-2.jpg
    Spion-Kopje-sunrise.jpg
    Shots 1 and 2 my Pentax WP1 (expect the same or better from the W90/WG1
    Shots 3 and 4 Yair's Pana TS1 (now TS3)
    Franco

I have a Canon Elph 300HS and I love it.

Are there any digital pocket cameras that easily accommodate a circular polarizer? It's one of the very few dramatic filtering effect that is just about impossible to duplicate on the computer. It's one of the reasons I own a digital SLR.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Newcomb View Post
    Are there any digital pocket cameras that easily accommodate a circular polarizer? It's one of the very few dramatic filtering effect that is just about impossible to duplicate on the computer. It's one of the reasons I own a digital SLR.
    I suppose it's possible, but I suspect that you'd have to look at something like the Micro four thirds cameras from Panasonic and Olympus, the Pentax Q, the Sony NEX line, or Olympus' X100, and maybe their soon-to-be-released X-10.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I love my Pentax Optio W90. It's rough, tough, and takes pretty good pictures. The video quality is a bit lacking, but still not bad.

Are there any digital pocket cameras that easily accommodate a circular polarizer?
    A couple of ways :
    1) just hold the filter in front of your camera lens (against it..)
    2) get the Cokin Filter Fast system (takes standard Cokin A size filters)
    http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/filterfast.htm
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark View Post
    Another vote for one of the Olympus "tough" series cameras. Waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, etc. and takes good pictures as an added bonus.
    I bought one about 2 weeks ago and i love it!

Default Canon Powershot S100

The new Canon Powershot S100 (the upgrade of the S95) is coming out this November. Trail photo enthusiasts who don't want to tote around a dSLR set up may want to take a long hard look at this compact package of awesomeness.

I used an old Canon Powershot A550 with the expensive-but-long-lasting super lithium batteries and was able to go over 2 weeks (and some 500-600 pictures) on a single set of 3 AA batteries. I recommend any of the cheaper Canon point-and-shoots on which you can put the CHDK firmware, which gives access to RAW storage mode and automatic exposure bracketing. When taking pictures out West, the bracketing was very nice -- instead of overexposed sky and underexposed terrain, or vice-versa, I get 2 or 3 pictures that software can merge together into a perfect shot. If only my composition were better...

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK -- official site for firmware
    http://lifehacker.com/387380/turn-yo...a-super+camera -- informative article

Images

1 more vote for Olympus 'Tough", as I said in the other Thread.... waterPROOF, shock proof, takes great pics. Alittle spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by naturejunkie View Post
    The new Canon Powershot S100 (the upgrade of the S95) is coming out this November. Trail photo enthusiasts who don't want to tote around a dSLR set up may want to take a long hard look at this compact package of awesomeness.
    I've been looking at the S100 to replace my current camera but the professional reviews are saying the batt. life is not as good as the s95. Other wise the reviews are great. Battery life is important!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++