WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tuswm View Post
    I am faxing in my permit request on Saturday. Wish me luck. Has anyone here been turned down yet?
    If you check the web site you can begin faxing Friday evening for weekend lotteries.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    If you check the web site you can begin faxing Friday evening for weekend lotteries.
    I am filling my form out now, Then I have to brave the "ice storm" here in philly to find a fax machine. Wish me luck.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Images

I DID NOT get my permit and because it was over the weekend the best I can hope for is to resubmit my permit for 3 days later. starting on Tuesday instead of Saturday. Remember I have that wedding to get to on AUG 12 on the east coast. issue of MPD is now coming more in to to play.

I need options

option 1
    I did call and get a permit to start from wawona on the 23rd....but getting to the JMT from the trail head looks like it might take 4 days by it self. I dont have a good map so I cant even tell how many mile till the JMT and it would also cut off TM for the first resupply.

option 2
    resubmit permits tonight to start on Tuesday. possibly start early and stealth camp? I would love recommendations on what to put for our permits. We have two people so we can fax in two separate permit requests.

option 3
    first come first serve. We would not get there in time for opening of the back country office on the 23rd so we would wait and try to be there for opening on the 24th that means we could start on the 25th IF we get a permit.

option 4
    if we blatantly just start early and get caught starting early what will they do to us? A small fine would be totally worth it.

option 5
    hike north?

northbound permits with Whitney Portal entry will be even harder to get in advance.

Why not start at Tuolumne Meadows? Wawona? That's totally on the other end of the park.

Tenaya Lake, Tuolumne Meadows, anything that doesn't go to Happy Isles and you should not have a big problem getting a reservation.

If you haven't seen it, visit Yosemite Valley by bus, go back to Tuolumne by bus a few hours later, start hiking from there.

Images

no I tried all of those trail heads when I called today. Everything that possibly goes to the JMT is booked solid for the 23rd 24th and 25th I am sending in a 2 separate permit request for 6 different trail heads for the 26th. I was thinking maybe I could go out a few days before the GF and hope against hope to get a first come first serve permit.

no I tried all of those trail heads when I called today. Everything that possibly goes to the JMT is booked solid for the 23rd 24th and 25th I am sending in a 2 separate permit request for 6 different trail heads for the 26th. I was thinking maybe I could go out a few days before the GF and hope against hope to get a first come first serve permit.
    thing is - you can't go and get a walk in for anything but the next day, unless it is after 11am and you ar ready to go right away and permits are still available. So going a few days early won't work - you have to start on the next day after you get the permit. You can't just wait a few more days until your GF gets there and then walk in with that permit.

The good news is - walk in permits are relatively easy to get, especially at the less popular trailheads. I doubt you'll have a problem to get a Lyell Canyon permit unless you sleep in and it's a Saturday morning.

Images

OK so the GF has to work till Friday. I was thinking I could leave Thursday. be waiting outside the office Friday morning and get a permit for 2 people to start Saturday morning. Then visit my friends Friday night and wait for my GF at the bus station Saturday morning.

Images

just get rejected for happy isle and another one for 26 I think I will have to bank on the first come first serve permits

Images

what do you do about cooking pots when they dont fit in your bear can?

what do you do about cooking pots when they dont fit in your bear can?
    I never put them in the can - just clean them and leave them in the open outside your tent. The bears will waste little time sniffing and move on. they are smart enough to know they can't eat them

Faxing my permit request tonight at 5:30! Cross your fingers! My wife and I are plannig a JMT thru starting Aug.15th and finishing up around Sept.4th or so.
    I think we are going to try to start at Glacier Point and not even try to get a permit starting from Happy Isles. Either way it will be one heck of a hike!
    Schnikel

Images

no luck faxing on Thurs night or calling Fri morning... faxed fri night and waiting to see if we got lucky on the weekend pools... frustration!

Images

It too me a while to get a permit too. I am starting like 5 days after I wanted.

Just got my confromation e-mail!
    My wife and I will be starting 8/15/11 from Glacier Point! Hope to see you all out there. Can't wait!!
    Schnikel

Images

Logistic time………any advice

Two weeks out……..
    Mail small resupply box to red meadows
    Mail resupply 5 gallon bucket to the Muir Ranch. How much does this usually cost including mailing fees.

Friday July 22
    Last day of class
    730 flight
    Fly out at night and arrive in San Francisco around 1AM,
    Saturday travel (taxi?) to bus station 10 miles away, if possible get sleep and groceries. Then catch the bus at 630 AM to the train, to the bus to Yosemite.
    Sunday- Monday Visit friends, play tourist, mail jump box, get final permits, food, and fuel to last to Red Meadows.
    Tuesday – get early start…We have 220 ish miles to go.
    Resupply at red meadows
    Resupply at the Muir ranch and spend the night
    Summit and exit the trail on Wednesday aug 10th
    Hitch to lone pine; pick up drop box, shower and sleep
    11th get a 625 bus, arrive at Reno air port at noon, and flight 666 leaves at 115
    12th rehersal dinner
    13th wedding

Images

Questions.
    We plan to carry on our back packs collapsed (22x14x9) with anything delicate in them, they are just small enough to carry on and I don’t want the frames damaged. Then have one checked bag for the two of us. (any suggestions about flying with packs that you think we should know?)

Sending a jump box from YNP to Lone Pine, any advice on where to send it and where to stay after the hike?

What could happen if we start Early? Fines? Kick us off? Jail?

What about mailing fuel canisters? I don’t want to rely on having to buy them where you can’t find them. I would prefer to just put them in the resupply boxes and mail them.

Is it advisable to carry bug spray and of a head net? How much bug spray do you need for 2 weeks?

Images

Well It finally happened. Today while packing for a 3 day trip I broke my pack. the zipper had a catastrophic failure.

I have a osprey atmos 65. I like the volume because I do a large portion of winter back packing, extended no resupply trips up to 2 weeks, usual max is 40 lbs, and go with the GF and carry my stuff and "out stuff", and do carry a bear can from time to time. So I think framless is out.

What should I do?
    call osprey? ask for warranty?
    \
    return to REI even though it lived a good life 1000+ trail days, it went on a diet, and its like pink now due to sun damage.

suck it up and buy something? ULA is at the top of my list, mostly because I see them mentioned the most. But what one?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd call Osprey. Should be lifetime warranty

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++