WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doyle

Default doyle comments

Well, I guess you guys don't like folks expressing oppinions different from yours. I found the down and the hotel unattractive plain and simple. Perhaps my language was a bit strong but I stand by what I said. I didn't care for Duncanon. By far the least attractive town I found along the trail. I am glad though it had at least basic services. But what a defensive crowd you are. I wasn't trying to be smug. Just saying I didn't like the place and wont stay there again. Get over your selves guys!

Jack.. you have made good posts over the years but your defensive comments are tiresome. Just put me on ignore and lets be done with it.

At the big trashgiving fests, yeah it was festive but it was also crowded, full of folks smoking ciggarettes or other drugs and loaded with alcohol. at least that is what I found. Not my cup of tea.

David

David:

Please note that I was not alone in speaking up for the Doyle.

Your opinion seems to be the minority one here. Just about everyone else who's been there recently speaks glowingly about the place and the fine folks who run it.

You seem to be alone with your disdain.

Why is that, I wonder?

Images

They should have burned the doyle lol!!

I was greeted by a redneck meth head looking female that was so rude I deleted the pictures of the hotel that I had taken. I was excited to see the place and after walking in the bar for 1 minute and the girl behind the bar being so rude I could not wait to get out of town and away from that trash! I could have enjoyed it and I love a good dive hotel....just don't be rude for no reason. If I had done something I would not rant, I only walked in ready to enjoy the doyle for what it was. I will never spend my money there, I would rather use it for TP

Images

I do understand that the girl was not the owner and I have heard others complain about her. no idea who she was except for that. I'm sure the place could be cool and I expected it to be! Maybe some other hikers had ruined it before I got there or the girl was having a "bad day" I have no clue. This is just what happened to me and my feelings after! I'm wide open so take your best shots at me or understand where I come from and what happened, I was stunned and shocked after leaving the place and first impressions are just that.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    I thought the place was a dive when I stayed there in 2000...

Has it been cleaned up?
    Can't give you a before and after comparison -- but it was still pretty divey in 2007. But Pat and Vickey were friendly and hospitable, and for $20, I wasn't expecting the Four Seasons, if you catch my drift.

The town is divey as well, but not much more (or less) so than many other trail towns. The supermarket is a bit beyond walking distance, but Pat offered to drive me there and back, which I very much appreciated. The convenience store in town (right next to the Doyle) barely qualifies for "short term" resupply.

There's a greasy spoon across the street from the Doyle that serves a decent breakfast.

*The people that run the supermarket offer a free shuttle each day from the Doyle and back again, so there's need to walk it.

*And the "greasy spoon" described above is actually a very pleasant, very friendly, very clean little diner that serves good food. Why people have to use unpleasant terms to describe perfectly nice places escapes me.

I very much enjoyed breakfast at said "greasy spoon." I'd recommend it to anyone. Some of the locals were very interested in our hike but thought we were crazy hiking in mid-November.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    *The people that run the supermarket offer a free shuttle each day from the Doyle and back again, so there's need to walk it.

*And the "greasy spoon" described above is actually a very pleasant, very friendly, very clean little diner that serves good food. Why people have to use unpleasant terms to describe perfectly nice places escapes me.
    I know what you mean, Jack. It's almost as bad as people using insulting words to reply to those who post honest "minority" comments about trail businesses.

Weary

The problem, Weary, is that some of those posts were NOT honest. They were unkind, uncalled for, and untrue, and by posting these things in the first place, it was good people in Duncannon who were being maligned and insulted.

But I don't see you rushing to their defense, not when it's easier to just criticize me. You need to find a new hobby.

Default Duncannon photos...

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. (All photos August 18 & 19, 2007 )

IMG652: approaching town from the north
    IMG653, 654: in town, within a few blocks of the Doyle
    IMG661: Susquehanna river, from riverfront in town
    IMG662: The Doyle (with white porch)
    IMG666: looking back on town from the south

The Doyle (and Duncannon) didn't become legendary because it was 4 star. You walk into a bar to register. I would think after 1200 miles of hiking and staying in various hostels and motels, it wouldn't take but a minute to decide if it's the place for you.

Personally, I think it's great!

Images

"*And the "greasy spoon" described above is actually a very pleasant, very friendly, very clean little diner that serves good food. Why people have to use unpleasant terms to describe perfectly nice places escapes me."

I agree and loved that place! the food was for sure Hiker friendly Cheap, good and wow for once I was full with out having to order for two.

I haven't been ot the Doyle since my thru hike. I had no trouble sleeping then again I arrived there just in time for happy hour!

Images

I don;t consider the term "Greasy Spoon" to have a negative conotation, only that you can get your basic American breakfast at a decent price in a no-frills place. Which is exactly what that place was, at least when I ate there.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Sorry, A-Train, but you're wrong.

I suggest you Google "definitions greasy spoon"

The first hit says: "A small, inexpensive, often unsanitary restaurant."

Other hits will repeat this sentiment, tho they'll frequently use the words "dingy," "unclean" and "cheap."

To describe an eating establishment as a "greasy spoon" does indeed have negative connotations, and the Duncannon restaurant in question, Goodies, neither deserves nor warrrants this description, which, applied to Goodies, would be as unkind as it is false. The phrase "greasy spoon" has been around for around a century. And it isn't a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I don;t consider the term "Greasy Spoon" to have a negative conotation, only that you can get your basic American breakfast at a decent price in a no-frills place. Which is exactly what that place was, at least when I ate there.
    That is pretty much the spirit in which the phrase was intended, in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words. (All photos August 18 & 19, 2007 )

IMG652: approaching town from the north
    IMG653, 654: in town, within a few blocks of the Doyle
    IMG661: Susquehanna river, from riverfront in town
    IMG662: The Doyle (with white porch)
    IMG666: looking back on town from the south
    A lot of people, especially the younger ones have never been in a town like that...all they've experienced are spanking new shiney malls, shopping centers, chain restaurants, new home subdivisons, ect.

There're out of their comfort zone in a town like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    A lot of people, especially the younger ones have never been in a town like that...all they've experienced are spanking new shiney malls, shopping centers, chain restaurants, new home subdivisons, ect.

There're out of their comfort zone in a town like that.
    Well, if they started at Springer they've seen plenty of towns like that. IMO, Duncannon is reasonably typical as a trail town -- neither the best nor the worst.

What folks may not know is that the Doyle was at one point a thriving train-station hotel. (The old train depot is a block away.) But as Warren Zevon said, "the train don't run by here no more...." -- at least not trains carrying passengers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Sorry, A-Train, but you're wrong.

I suggest you Google "definitions greasy spoon"

The first hit says: "A small, inexpensive, often unsanitary restaurant."

Other hits will repeat this sentiment, tho they'll frequently use the words "dingy," "unclean" and "cheap."

To describe an eating establishment as a "greasy spoon" does indeed have negative connotations, and the Duncannon restaurant in question, Goodies, neither deserves nor warrrants this description, which, applied to Goodies, would be as unkind as it is false. The phrase "greasy spoon" has been around for around a century. And it isn't a compliment.
    I'm glad there's no grey room to argue here, since you've decided I'm wrong based on 3 seconds of internet research. Your quoted definition says "often unsanitary" meaning that greasy spoon isn't inherently or inextricably always meaning dirty. Take the term at it's literal (online) definition. Many things I read and people I speak to use term widely as a "diner" or a place which serves basic American greasy meals, with copious amounts of food for reasonable prices. Maybe that place has changed in the past 5 years ago, but that is the experience I had. It's silly to debate cleanliness, unless one has been in the kitchens of such places. I assume they all use a moderate amount of hygiene and wouldn't have eaten there if I assumed otherwise.

I almost consider the term Greasy Spoon to be endearing, meaning a small, friendly eating establishment without assumptions, serving comfort food at agreeable prices. YMMV

No one was trying to villify the patrons of this place and you seem to be taking it way too personally. Even if someone was to defame their establishment, I hardly think it would affect their business or livelihood much.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

This isn't worth arguing about.

But since you're interested, A-Train, go spend MORE than 3 seconds researching the term. You'll quickly discover that it generally means dingy, cheap, fatty, greasy, and unclean eating places. It is NOT considered a compliment.

I have worked in many a restaurant and have many friends who presently manage or own restaurants. I assure you none of them would find it "endearing" to have their place of business described this way.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++