WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doyle

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Not only is this post mean-spirited, its fully untrue. I travel at least once a year back to Duncannon to meet up with friends and stay at the Doyle. It truly is one of the most hiker-friendly towns on the trail. Everyone has their own opinions, but to say the town is a "pit" is an exaggeration at best, malicious at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    The Doyle is one of the cheapest hostel on the AT. It is also the worst place one could stay and there is no way I will ever stay there again. The only reason it it is so popular is the bar and the fact that it is only 20 bucks a night.

In fact, where I to hike the trail again, I would avoid staying in Duncanon altogether. The whole town is a pit. Very unattractive and unappealing.

DavidNH

Chomp nailed it.

The post was indeed mean spirited AND wrong.

David, to my knowledge, has been to Duncannon exactly once in his life.

I've been there around 20 times, and have never encountered anything but warm, outgoing, welcoming, and very friendly people.

People stay at the Doyle Hotel because it's inexpensive, but they also stay there because it's friendly, unjudgmental, and down to earth. Pat and Vicki have busted a gut, on very limited means, to make that place a haven for hikers and other guests, and they're two of the finest folks I know, on the Trail or off of it.

But what does David have to say about this?

He thinks its the worse place there is, that he'd never stay there again,and that the whole town is a pit.

Um, news flash to David......you won't be missed.

Oh, and since you found Duncannon "unpleasant and unappealing", I'm delighted that on another thread, you recently commented that you will no longer attend Trashgiving events (that's an enormous December hiker feed in New Hampshire for those who are wondering).

Well, this is marvelous news. You showed up for two years in a row, ate everything that wasn't nailed down, didn't contribute a cent or help wash a single plate, and then you went on-line telling folks how horrible the event and its attendees are. So if you don't want to grace us with your attendance anymore at our annual gathering, here's one word: Good.

But as for your comments about the Doyle and good people of Duncannon,
    here's another word: Tacky. And as for your stating that you'll never stay in Duncannon ever again,well I hate to break this to you, but the thousands of good folks who choose to make this wonderful town their home aren't exactly busted up over your announcement.

You're gonna avoid and boycott Duncannon in the future, thus preventing people from sharing your company?

Well, thank you. Stay away. Look at your absence as a community service.

Images

The Doyle is one of the cheapest hostel on the AT. It is also the worst place one could stay and there is no way I will ever stay there again. The only reason it it is so popular is the bar and the fact that it is only 20 bucks a night.

In fact, where I to hike the trail again, I would avoid staying in Duncanon altogether. The whole town is a pit. Very unattractive and unappealing.

DavidNH
    Totally Disagree with these sentiments.

I'm by no means a party animal. About two beers is my limit, three and I fall asleep!

The place is old, below most reasonable standards for a hotel/motel, and a bit of a fire trap if misfortune were to strike. All these things are well known before a hiker decides to stay.

Back in May of '06 I chose to stay there. That rainy day the food was fantastic, the beer tasted great and everyone I met was more than helpful and friendly. The laundry was convenient, the shower was hot and the room was dry. As everything in life, go into a situation with your eyes open and make the best of it. No one hid any of the facts about the Doyle.

Will I stay there again? If the opportunity presents itself.

DavidNH
    I am truly in shock. There is someone on Whiteblaze lower than Mountain Dew and Minnisota. I always thought of you as just EXTREMELY BORING, but to slander the Doyle. I am speechless. Once I walked to the Doyle and then walked home. This year I went twice once by foot and once by car (not counting once by Trail Angel Marymobile). IMO, there is no better place on the entire AT (some just as good but no better). You have a right to your opinion, but I'm just shaking my head on this one.

I have visited the Doyle at various Billville events and at other times since 2000 when Jester did his thru-hike and I was introduced to the Doyle - the last time being the Hiker Feed in July. The current owners, Pat and Vicki, are two of the kindest, most accommodating and most hard working people I have ever met. I have taken friends up to Duncannon over the years and wouldn't think of going there without spending time at the Doyle. Jester and I have even taken friends there who were visiting us from Connecticut and Boston on a Saturday night when Sue Grace was playing and we all had a great time. It was worth the two hour drive up there and back. David obviously judges things by their outward appearance - what a pity he just doesn't get the Doyle. Too bad for him.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

My My. My feathers are ruffled as well. I understand David has his right to an opinion just as the rest of us but I must also post my POSITIVE experience at the Doyle and in Duncanon in general. I shall always remember good eats (including the breakfast across the street), cold beer, great company, good grocery and John Prine on the jukebox. Somehow my first song pick turned out to be the Doyle theme song. I had a room overlooking the street. I could see though the ceiling into the next floor while taking a shower. I slept just fine. Bless his heart I can't recall his name but the gent who lived there seemed to like the Ray Charles as if he had never heard it before. Priceless. Although I could only make out a few words per sentence we finally were able to communicate just fine.

The one little thing I didn't catch onto was the fact one needs to walk aways north before they can take a pee. Several cups of coffee had me dancing by the time I crossed the tracks.

If I find myself in the area I will surely stay there again.

Journal Entries

Well, since we are telling stories, I guess I should join in. My one stop was 1993, thanks to Wingfoot's recommendation. Along with me was a grandson, then 11, a couple of sisters, and Earle of The Cabin in Andover, Maine, though the latter hadn't been invented yet.

I thought of it as a very pleasant dump. I understand the pleasantness remains under the new owners. Conditions, people tell me, have improved. The next time I'm in the area, I'll certainly stop again to check out the accuracy of all these White Blaze comments.

Weary

The first time I stayed at the Doyle was back in 1988 or 89. My hiking partner at the time was having allergic reactions to all the pollon in the air (this was early sping). We walked into the bar and the bar-maid there at the time took one look at him and said "You need to see a doctor right away!" Then she gave him directions to the clinic and her car keys! He came back an hour or so later, full of anti-hystamines and looking much better.

I was back there again 2 years ago and the place hadn't changed much. I was sorry to see the horseshoe bar was replaced and the big old cast iron tubs you could soak in were also replaced by showers. I was kinda looking forward to the tubs. But, the food wad good and the beer was cold, what more could you ask for?

PS, remind me that hiking through PA twice is enough for one life time, though I did enjoy the Doyle and the Palmerton jail hostel.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Default Thumbs Up

Pat and Vicky rule!!! I count them as best friends. The Doyle is not just a place to have a beer, fries, or get a room - it is an EXPERIENCE that cannot be appreciated by some. Their loss and more fries for me. When you turn out the lights, they are all four star LOL.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Geezer

DavidNH
    Did you clear this post through the Whiteblaze Official Opinion Controller before posting? You do understand that only approved opinions are allowed on Whiteblaze, don't you?

You are lucky this is the "new" Whiteblaze, kinder and gentler. In the old days, your above post would have been followed by personal attacks and personal insults, and you would have been flamed royally.
    Frosty

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker777 View Post
    I came to Duncannon earlier in the week not sure whether to stay at the Doyle Motel, the local campground or The Stardust Motel. I saw that the campground looked totally pathetic, having been washed out by the September floods. I decided to skip the Stardust, since the Doyle was so "legendary". Part of my A/T hiking has to do with a quest for the peace of mindwhich comes through being in nature. Hostels tend to be a reasonable compromise between civilization's comforts and natural living. Not so The Doyle. The loud, grating music blaring in the downstairs area, the unfortunates congregating in the bar and pool hall, have less to do with a quest for better living than most any other slice of American culture. I woke up to a siren--a raging fire at 4:30 A.M. across the street from The Doyle, and watch as firemen fought the blaze and knocked the windows of the building out. Odds-on liklihood it was arson as it was a building up for rent or sale. I'm sorry, but if you want a quiet restfull sleep, this place is rock bottom.

DavidNH
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Did you clear this post through the Whiteblaze Official Opinion Controller before posting? You do understand that only approved opinions are allowed on Whiteblaze, don't you?

You are lucky this is the "new" Whiteblaze, kinder and gentler. In the old days, your above post would have been followed by personal attacks and personal insults, and you would have been flamed royally.
    Nothing wrong with folks giving their .02. Also nothing wrong with folks responding to criticisms. I have never stayed at the Doyle. Have you? If yes, what did you think and expect of the place?
    I'll comment on David's post: his delivery was the worst possible way to deliver his opinion. His post was asking for a rebuttal instead of conveying his opinion. He got what his post asked for. I can convey his sentiments without being so ugly and mean spirited about it. Try this: The Doyle is one of the least expensive hotels on the AT. It is not necessarily an ideal destination for folks who simply want a good night's sleep. The folks who run the place, the bar, the fellowship and the price seemed to cause folks to gravitate to the place. That created an atmosphere I didn't care for. In fact, if I were to hike the trail again, I would avoid staying in Duncanon altogether. The place did not suit my needs.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Default Interesting Dialogue To Say The Least.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    ...In any case, I invite any Whiteblaze members who'll be at Trail Days to drop by our camp and say hello. Our hospitality is well-known, and we'll have all sorts of food and beverages for our guests and friends. And this includes
    juices and soft drinks. You see, some of our members don't even drink.
    Sorry if I'm crashing in on an "AA" meeting (emphasis "just kidding") First, of all I would like to thank Jack for the invite to his camp and as a non-drinker myself having juices and soft drinks is a nice addition for the "non-drinking Whiteblaze crowd. I've never been to the Doyle but I have read Jack's 2007 thru-hiker information where he noted the "festive environment" of the Doyle and that those who have embraced soberity should consider this condition prior to booking a room.....

The point I would make here to my collegues is that I believe the information out there (not only from Jack but other guidebooks as well) would be enough to give someone the "heads up" on this matter. Personally, I would probably just stop by there if I was in town just to say hey to everyone and then would find accomodations elsewhere. I would do this not because I'm a former alcoholic, or that I'm looking down on anyone who frequents such a place, I'm just not into that scene and certainly wouldn't want to impose my early sleep standard on an establishment that doesn't close down until 2:00am.
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Christus Cowboy-"...I would do this not because I'm a former alcoholic, or that I'm looking down on anyone who frequents such a place, I'm just not into that scene and certainly wouldn't want to impose my early sleep standard on an establishment that doesn't close down until 2:00am."
    Just a little clarification: although I've had a beer or two there over the years, generally I stick to soda and go to bed between 10-11PM. I've never had any problem sleeping there and the bar downstairs or the 'function room' on the next floor have never bothered me getting a good night's sleep.

Images

I stayed at the Doyle in '02 and enjoyed it very much. The owners there were truly hospitable, caring people. I hiked into town in late October (29th, to be precise) and there was a steady, almost freezing rain. I didn't plan to stay in town, cuz I was broke. I didn't even have enough for a room, which was around 15 bucks at that time. I warmed up with a cup of chili and a mixed drink (hey, why not?) and arranged by phone for my sister to wire me some money. I ran into a hiker I had met a few times, who rightly interpreted my reluctance to stay there and offered to pay for a room for me. Vicky suggested we split a double to save him 10 bucks, if that was ok with me. She checked a couple of times to make sure everything was OK with me.

Pat drove me to the store to pick up my cash and some groceries the next day. I had a few other errands to run, so I was ready to hit the trail late in the afternoon after it had started to snow. Vicky tried to get me to stay another night since it was late and snowy, even offering to work something out if I couldn't pay. I decided to hike out anyway since I like an adventure. Turned out to be a huge ice storm up on the ridge, but it was exciting. Upon meeting some maintainers the next day, I found out that Vicky and Pat asked them to look out for me and make sure I was ok.

So, I'd have to say that though Duncannon and the Doyle are quite rundown, their true riches lie in the people and experiences there. I'd definitely stay there if I ever pass that way again.

Cheers to the Doyle!
    If you're in a hurry, why are you walking?

Images

When we have trail events there the place is always packed. So many people attend that your lucky if you get a bed. Always a good time there. In fact I may be stopping there on thrusday night on my way down to the West Virginia gathering in october. I'll see you there.

Panzer

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Default Your point is noted......

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    Just a little clarification: although I've had a beer or two there over the years, generally I stick to soda and go to bed between 10-11PM. I've never had any problem sleeping there and the bar downstairs or the 'function room' on the next floor have never bothered me getting a good night's sleep.
    Duly noted.... you've been there and I haven't so any statement you make would be more authoritative than mine since yours is based on actual experience and mine is being based on what I've read....
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

We wouldn't have missed the Doyle and were glad we stopped there. Pat and Vicky were wonderful, the food and beer was great, and we really enjoyed mingling with the "unfortunates"...so I guess we resemble that remark. Love it for what it is and what it contributes to the trail culture. If you don't care for that you always have the option to stay in the woods.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Note to Frosty:

When someone goes on line and disparages two folks who are universally liked and admired on the Trail (like Pat and Vicki), and when someone goes on line and disparages them, their work, their place of business, and when someone totally ignores all of the hard work they've done in order to turn their place of busines into one of the most hiker-friendly places on the entire Trail......well yeah, Frosty, when someone goes on-line and does all this, and says such hurtful and false things, well they're gonna get some immediate feedback on their comments.

If Frosty thinks David has been "royally flamed" here, well here's the news:

He deserved to be.

I thought the place was a dive when I stayed there in 2000. The wall in my room was oozing. And there was a near fracas in the bar that night with some drunken a-hole causing a scene.

I can't speak to the cleanliness of the place now, because I haven't been there in over 8 years. You can't deny that many in the hiking community seem to love the place.

Has it been cleaned up? The owner was new in 2000, and seemed determined to make it a nicer place.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

As anyone who has met them can attest, the present owners have indeed made it a much nicer place, and this is the attitude they bring with them to work every single day.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++