WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clothing options for NOBO March 1st Departure

Interested in how others leaving Springer around March 1st plan on wearing and what is the minimum amount and items of clothing needed for this early departure.
    Thanks in advance for sharing.
    Tawa

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Think WINTER backpacking. Layers from a base of smartwool to fluffy jacket/sweater under a Goretex shell, for instance, with an expedition level top and bottom and heavy smartwool socks carefully zipped into a ziplock and removed only at the time you are ready to slip into your 0-degree (+/-) sleeping bag. Remember gloves and a hat. Sound extreme? You'll be grateful for every bit of it, and you can always peel the layers off for the 70-degree day(s).--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Default Winter Gear

Thanks Sawnie for the good advice. I have a 20Degree bag so may need to eget a silk liner or a bag down to zero.
    Tawa

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    Thanks Sawnie for the good advice. I have a 20Degree bag so may need to eget a silk liner or a bag down to zero.
    Tawa
    It depends how warm you sleep and the quality of your sleeping bag. It would be cheaper and lighter to buy silk liner instead of another bag.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

We went through this thread discussion last year, you might look at this thread:
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57470

This one had some relevant comments too, I think:
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54534

And undoubtedly it was discussed in past years as well (!).

I don't mean to derail discussion here, just saying that there are a lot of posts on the same topic that you could refer to.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

It's easy enough to bring extra layers and winter gear in case it is really cold and ship them home or to a friend if you find that you don't need them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    We went through this thread discussion last year, you might look at this thread:
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57470

This one had some relevant comments too, I think:
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54534

And undoubtedly it was discussed in past years as well (!).

I don't mean to derail discussion here, just saying that there are a lot of posts on the same topic that you could refer to.
    You're not deraling the discussion, but I do think the discussion of this topic needs to be updated every so often because new fabrics, clothing options, and ideas that are fast in coming. Your reference to previous posts give a great way to compare if anything new has come along! Just tonight I heard about Columbia putting breathable space blanket inside their winter jacket.
    Simple is good.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Think WINTER backpacking. Layers from a base of smartwool to fluffy jacket/sweater under a Goretex shell, for instance, with an expedition level top and bottom and heavy smartwool socks carefully zipped into a ziplock and removed only at the time you are ready to slip into your 0-degree (+/-) sleeping bag. Remember gloves and a hat. Sound extreme? You'll be grateful for every bit of it, and you can always peel the layers off for the 70-degree day(s).--Kinnickinic
    Exactly!

I'm in the same boat concerning clothing and how to pack appropriately. We're leaving March 14th-ish and I've been ignoring the need to figure out our clothing because it seemed so daunting - polartec! merino wool! insulation layer! - and since my previous hiking was done in jeans and other cotton items, I didn't know where to start. WhiteBlaze is great for clearing up the uncertainty.

From what I've gathered, some folks do a 3-layer system, some do 4. I was just in the Smokies this weekend (did 25 miles in 2 days, whoo!) It was in the mid-20s Saturday night at Icewater Shelter and I was SWEATING in my 20 degree GoLite bag and Cocoon silk liner - I was also wearing thick socks, my hiking shorts, thermal pants over those, a tank top, my fleece vest, and my thermal top (I was frozen when I went to bed and couldn't stomach removing clothing in the biting wind).

Just before Icewater on the trail, DH and I met Wizard, a nice Georgian gentleman who thru'd in 2003. He does a 4-layer system and he showed us his gear and what he uses on his forays into the woods.

You get unbelievably warm while hiking. It was 9 in the morning, still in the low 30s, and I was in my tank top and hiking shorts. I'm terrified of freezing but as long as you're smart and cover up as soon as you stop moving you should be fine.

My clothes are coming today and I ended up ordering the Marmot DriClime windshirt, Ivanhoe baselayers, and the Outdoor Research Manifesto jacket for my insulation. (BTW, has anyone ever even heard of Ivanhoe?) DH got some things too - STP is one of my favorite websites!
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

++ New Posts ++