WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    They can be forwarded for free as long as you don't "take custody" of the package. Most postal clerks I met were really laid back about that.

I only had one postal clerk challenge me when she put the bounce box on the her counter top and I picked it up to look at the label she said I "took custody" of it. Of course she then proceeded to charge me to send it on.

I'm pretty sure she must have worked as a carney in a prior life.....

From then on I would always announce "I'm not taking custody of this package, I want to forward it!" to avoid the hassle.
    Excellent point. I should have mentioned that -- I, in fact, don't even touch the box if I'm going to forward it.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Journal Entries
    Images

You don't need a bounce box to thru-hike the AT. That said I'll give my reasons: In my estimation to have a more enjoyable experience you have to cut the cord that binds you to the outside world. sometimes refered to as the "Real World" by thru-hikers.
    You want to establish your independance from others. Leave the cell phone home. You can call from phones along the way if required. With a bounce box it's just another tie you have to worry about. Getting to a PO on time in a small town is sometimes a hastle. The same for mail drops. Whatever you send in a mail drop you can buy along the way. Except in special sircomstances, like special meds. I hiked with folks who were more conserned about getting to town to get a mail drop or get a bounce box that contained shampo or something else you could do without.
    As far as winter gear. You must have someone who you can ship it too and have them ship it back when you need it. Glemncliff is a good place. Nice hostel, Hikers Welcome, is right across the street.
    The world outside of the AT will take care of it's self. Let it. Hike your hike and enjoy the independant experience.
    Grampie-N->2001

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DBRIGGS9 View Post
    Most of this guys posts are incoherent and childish. It seems as though most people tend to ignore him, which I'd agree is the best solution as well.
    I appreciate his humor.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Adults who think that the word "childish" is a pejorative make me sad. And perhaps ignoring him is something one might choose to do, although thinking that "most people" do that probably isn't correct; regardless, it begs the question, to what is that the best solution?

As for bounce boxes, a few thoughts:

Out west people actually used to use 5 gallon paint buckets, but that doesn't seem to be much in vogue anymore. As mentioned by others, the Priority boxes are the way to go, as they can be forwarded for free if you don't open them.

I, too, think of bounce boxes as places to keep things used most often in town -- chargers for electronics, nail clippers, etc. It's also a nice place to keep things you think you might not want to carry any more on the trail. You can put a piece of gear in the bounce box, and if it turns out that you're perfectly happy for a week or two without that extra pair of underwear, you can then send it home. But if you made a mistake and you actually want it, it's there at the next town.

As for winter clothes, I wouldn't put them in a bounce box. Maybe you put them in the bounce box the first time you think you don't need them, and then after that send them home. Some people will tell you to mail them home from Damascus. Don't listen to those people. Mail them home after Mt. Rogers. Get them back in Hanover.

Tons of people hike the trail without bounce boxes. Maybe you'll decide to use one, and maybe not. But do keep in mind that if you're bouncing boxes through USPS, you'll be tied to the (sometimes) odd hours of small town post offices. In any case, using a bounce box is something you can decide to do once you're on the trail.
    According to me, this is the best advice on this thread.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    You don't need a bounce box to thru-hike the AT. That said I'll give my reasons: In my estimation to have a more enjoyable experience you have to cut the cord that binds you to the outside world. sometimes refered to as the "Real World" by thru-hikers.
    You want to establish your independance from others. Leave the cell phone home. You can call from phones along the way if required. With a bounce box it's just another tie you have to worry about. Getting to a PO on time in a small town is sometimes a hastle. The same for mail drops. Whatever you send in a mail drop you can buy along the way. Except in special sircomstances, like special meds. I hiked with folks who were more conserned about getting to town to get a mail drop or get a bounce box that contained shampo or something else you could do without.
    As far as winter gear. You must have someone who you can ship it too and have them ship it back when you need it. Glemncliff is a good place. Nice hostel, Hikers Welcome, is right across the street.
    The world outside of the AT will take care of it's self. Let it. Hike your hike and enjoy the independant experience.
    Also good advice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    i may have been bounced as a child. all i can recall is a long bumpy dark trip in a small box smelling of esbit tablets. then a bright light and a lady mailman handing me over to a guy chewing tabbaco . later i found out i was lonewolfs kid and that he only sent TOW to pick me up cause he was busy. growing up in lwolfs shed in back of his house i would ride his harly for hundreds of miles each night after him and gypsy passed out. by day lwolf brought me hiker packages sent to hikers who had quit. they kept me fat and healthy untill i was old enough to become baltimore jacks ward and traveled with him learning the ways of a master yogi.

good explaination of the bounce - never take custody of the box!
    Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee. Gen 13:17

This was really good advice. I think I will ship the winter gear home when it gets warm. And have the folks send it to me when I need it again.

It will be pretty much like my mail drop situation. I 'll maybe have 3-4 maildrops to some sections on the trail And that is about it. I'll pick up my supplies in town. Sure it might be a bit more expensive but the flexibility and not having the hassle of small town PO hours are well worth it.

See you in 2011.

Images

stumbling upon a mweinstone post is like finding an encrypted message under a rock on the trail. you don't know what the hell it means, but it's intersting (an oddly entertaining) to decipher as you stumble along.

Got a problem I'm working on. Can anyone tell me how this:

In my estimation to have a more enjoyable experience you have to cut the cord that binds you to the outside world. . .
    You want to establish your independance from others.
    and this:

As far as winter gear. You must have someone who you can ship it too and have them ship it back when you need it.
    are not diametrically opposite ideas, expressed in the same paragraph?
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Sounds like a new Bizarro World episode.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MkBibble View Post
    stumbling upon a mweinstone post is like finding an encrypted message under a rock on the trail. you don't know what the hell it means, but it's intersting (an oddly entertaining) to decipher as you stumble along.
    Well said.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++