WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

BrianLe,
    Thank you for your advice. A coworker of mine also suggested to use trailrunners for winter months (which i plan on using for the majority of my thru) because they thaw a lot quicker.
    I am doing a shake-down in Jan. and was planning on using my trailrunners (instead of my boots). What is the reason you suggest not doing this the first time hiking in winter conditions?
    I have gotten used to hiking with weight in my trailrunners, and so thought her advice was sound.
    What advice as far as trying this for the first time would you give?

I just think you should try trail runners in very wet and/or cold conditions for the first time in a situation where you have a reasonable bail-out option if it's not working for you. I think that it should work for you, but in general going (safely) with ligher, "less" gear is somewhat tied to experience. Wool socks and just accepting that your feet will be wet sometimes are a big part of it, but dealing with in-camp as well as on-trail, having dry feet at night --- I think you would be wiser to not be too far away from a car or warm house or something the very first time(s) you try this.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    I solve that one by not using boots. One of my hiking partners liked his goretex boots for the snowy section (he switched to trail runners in Virginia), but I was happy with trail runners throughout. Feet get wet, not a problem with wool socks, though I did use goretex socks (over the wool ones) at times.

Shoes are at least a little more flexible when actually frozen (this only happened a couple of times). I just put them on at the last minute, just before starting to walk, so as my core body temperature rose (through exertion) my feet could eventually warm up and defrost the shoes --- uncomfortable for the first half hour or so and then you forget about it.

Give me frozen shoes over frozen boots any day, yet another benefit IMO of light footwear. And if boots and shoes do get totally wet, the shoes can get completely dry from just a NERO.

Caveat: again, don't try this (shoes not boots) for the very first time in snowy conditions at the start of a thru-hike ...

On a related note, one of my favorite pieces of gear for the early stretch was a pair of Feathered Friends down booties. They definitely add weight and bulk to the overall gear load, but were very very nice to have at the end of the day and to keep me warmer in the bag at night, and the shells made them decent footwear for "close by" the shelter. Worth carrying (up until Damascus, maybe Pearisburg).
    I was wondering about the down booties. Thought about putting them on my xmas list. Snoozing in a toastie hammock with down booties on - I'll be laying there until noon every day!

As far as the trail runners, I came across a piece of gear the other day (I need to go back and try to find it now) that gave me pause. They were like an over 'sock' for your boots (or trail runners I suppose). Sort of a gaiter with a bottom.

I just gave them a nano-second of consideration and then dismissed, but I'm wondering now if it's something that would be appropriate for postholing days? I'll have to try to find the source again. Has anyone seen these? They may have been in the hunting gear section of Cabela's (I was looking for silk sock liners).

TF
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

:banana

My opinion: definitely not any sort of real crampon, even I think instep crampons might be overkill. Caveat: this is of course jus based on experiences my particular (last) year.

I brought Yaktrax Pro's, and these weren't a bad trade-off for dealing with ice. Despite deep snow in the Smokies (last year at least), I never wanted actual crampons. The only issue, and somewhat rarely, was ice.

There were a handful (or less) of days where I put on the yaktrax and actually wore them long enough to make them more useful than a PITA, and I think this was mostly or perhaps entirely before the Smokies.

The problem I encountered was that I'd see a long somewhat icy stretch ahead and have to decide whether to just walk carefully or to stop, pull out the yaktrax and put them on, knowing that perhaps just around the corner it would be relatively bare trail again. It doesn't take too many instances of "put 'em on, and then all too soon take 'em off again" before you decide to just screw it and mail them home at the next opportunity.

I think I might take either yaktrax or perhaps Kahtoola Microspikes if I were going for a February start again, but that would depend on weather reports, known snowpack, and trail journals by the even crazier folks who left earlier (there always seems to be someone yet a little crazier!).
    I've found that YakTrax fall off in even 6-inch snow, so I treasure my Stabl-icers (sp?), which don't. It seems like the ever-present question of whether or not to put on your pack cover and/or your poncho; therefore, I treasure my Packa.

Rootin' for a milder winter than last.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

I'll be starting February 19. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the weather will be like. I don't mind winter hiking I just don't want to hike in 6 feet of snow.

I do think that if you're starting in Feb you would be well advised to have some experience at backpacking in the winter --- not just theoretical, but some personal experience.
    North GA is a great place to gain winter backpacking experience. Just make sure you have a good sleeping bag. Theres nothing worse than hiking all day in the cold knowing that you're going to be cold all night.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Turtle Feet wrote:
    "As far as the trail runners, I came across a piece of gear the other day (I need to go back and try to find it now) that gave me pause. They were like an over 'sock' for your boots (or trail runners I suppose). Sort of a gaiter with a bottom.
    I just gave them a nano-second of consideration and then dismissed, but I'm wondering now if it's something that would be appropriate for postholing days? I'll have to try to find the source again. Has anyone seen these? They may have been in the hunting gear section of Cabela's (I was looking for silk sock liners)."
    If you have turtle feet, what are you worried about? :-)

You might be talking about one of the 40Below overboot products. IMO these are way overkill for the AT, at least the AT in February.

SawnieRobertson said:
    "I've found that YakTrax fall off in even 6-inch snow, so I treasure my Stabl-icers (sp?), which don't. It seems like the ever-present question of whether or not to put on your pack cover and/or your poncho; therefore, I treasure my Packa."
    Agreed in general about YakTrax, I think I got them because they were a little lighter (? don't recall) and I wasn't sure how much I would need them. In general, though the icy stretches didn't have much or any snow depth, and I didn't want them for anywhere else. I think the reason people have YakTrax falling off (I've seen them littering other trails too) is that they wear them in relatively deep snow. Where I think they don't do much good.

I think that Yaktrax might also go on and off a little faster than Stabl-icers, but if you already have the latter I'm sure they'll work great, if in fact you end up needing them.

Agreed also on the Packa, particularly when it gets warmer out. The AT was the first trail where I periodically felt the need for a pack cover but no sort of "body cover", hence using the Packa in pack cover mode worked great. In my home territory I'm no fan of pack covers, but on the AT I found that some sort of cover was nice to have.

For the early stretch I started with a poncho shelter, but last year there were so many blowdowns I didn't like to risk both rain gear and shelter wearing it (Gatewood Cape) through the blowdowns, so I switched. Hopefully the blowdowns won't be as much of a problem this year, I'm sure there will be some but I'm guessing a whole lot less.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Turtle Feet wrote:

If you have turtle feet, what are you worried about? :-)

You might be talking about one of the 40Below overboot products. IMO these are way overkill for the AT, at least the AT in February.
    Yep, that's basically what they were, only the 40Below's look nicer. Can't for the life of me remember where I saw them. Took one look and thought "heavy" so they were immediately disregarded. I just remember thinking that they're be great for postholing.

The only thing I have in common with Turtle Feet are their stride.... maybe it's the length of their legs.

TF
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

I was planning a SOBO in July but just found out that my internship will not be getting extended so I'm planning a NOBO in mid-Feb, I don't have a tailname, but my name is Tim, hope to see some of you out there

Default Feb thru-hike

we are starting feb 15.... we have hiked in feb/mar almost every year since 2003..you have to be prepared for snow/ ice ...last year we hiked from winding stair to hiawassee in 3+ feet of snow.. we set up tent on icepak..as long as you have the right gear and take your time, you can survive.. you have to be prepared for low mileage days in feb and march in the south..

white blazes, magic places northernstorm's Avatar

march 5th, ill probably see ya. my name is northern storm, call me storm.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Nobos starting in February 2011

Love the cold and winter - something about the snow. Thinking of starting in January/February. See quite a few posts for February any starters in January? March start is too late for me.
    It is not the destination but the journey.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Starting in February

Yea I'm in for starting in Springer January/February. The earlier the better for me.
    It is not the destination but the journey.

Default NOBO in February.

Hey y'all!

Onward here.

Beginning early February with my partner Upward and plan on taking our time.

Nothin' but excited over here in Denver.

Can't wait till we begin our trek!
    Can't wait to meet you all!!

Follow us @ http://ouratthruhike2011.blogspot.com/

Registered User beautifulpoetman's Avatar

It's really exciting seeing all these replies. I'm 90 days (more or less) away from the trail and it's cool to see other crazy people braving the late winter. I hope to meet as many of you as possible out on the trail. Happy hiking (and thru-hike planning and prep) to all of you!

Just thought i would chime in. I'm starting mid/late Feb. no firm date though. I just finished working and I have some personal duties and loose ends to tie up in this month....then at least 2 shake down hikes and some camping in Jan. ..more for testing my gear and clothing and making adjustments than anything else. Getting very excited and the reality of a it is sinking in! Can't wait to get out there hiking up and down mountains with a backpack on, and cold wind and rain and snow pelting me in the face!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Starting in March is no guarantee you're going to miss bad weather.

It's entirely possible that you'd have better weather in February in the south than you do in March - meaning it might not snow/ice at all in February only to get socked in March.

In 2008 I hiked the section in the Smokies in mid-March and got caught in an ice storm that the trail treacherous in many areas. For a few days I think I fell at least once every hour and busted my butt.

If my memory is right, there was little in the way of precipitation in Feburary of that year. There's no value at all in comparing one year to another other than as a broad generalization.

Journal Entries

Howdy,I'm planning either a late feb/early march start depending on weather.

See you guys out there.
    Can't miss me.I'm tattooed

Me and my partner Krista (puddleduck) Feb. 21st, we will be the frozen statues that were too enthusiastic.

I started Feb 15th of last year and as gadget said it was nasty. However if i had to do it over again i dont think i would change anything. the best advice i could give would be not to skimp on gear, buy the warmest, lightest gear you can afford it will make a world of difference. also keep in mind if there is snow of any considerable amount your mileage will go down...the good news is you will have about 1800 miles to make up the miles. the last place i saw snow was going over mount rogers in va. good luck everybody.

RockeR

Images

I read the stories of last Feb in the Smokies, great fun! Did anybody use snowshoes, or wish that they had them?

Kahtoola microspikes seem to work better than yaktrax or stabilicers for icy trails and are quick to put on and take off. Good for New England winters.

NEOS uninsulated overboots are less overkill. I have these NEOS adventurers: http://www.overshoe.com/recreational...tail.php?s=ANN I used them last winter (New England) and haven't made up my mind yet. They are quick to put on, warm when worn over shoes, waterproof. What I don't like is that they aren't breathable.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++