WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Got stuck with big snow in the smokies last year. Seriously thinking about another early start this year but will probably carry snowshoes with extensions and even micro spikes (I really like them). Would mail them back after that but I will never forget postholing down Clingman's last year with my feet slamming against rocks and roots I couldn't see. My shoe size permanently changed from a 12 to a 13 but it was an experience that is forever etched in my mind.
    Aquaman

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Just curious, has anyone heard of someone that has already started (Jan.25)? I guess one advantage to doing this is if the winter gets too rough, you can always take off for a week or two or three until conditions improve and you'll already have some of the trail under your belt.
    I would think several have. I'm pretty sure two or three started New Years Day.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

Journal Entries

Starting Febuary 19, ordered snowshoes just incase weather isnt forgiving at that time. If its pleasant weather then they will get use another time. SO pumped to start! cant wait to be out there seeing some freindly trail people!

I am starting my thru-hike next sat/sun/mon, and have been researching the whole snow issue. I understand that last year many people ran into snow in the smokey's. However, I have been looking at webcams available in gatlenburg, as well as atop one of the mountains in the park. The mountain top web cam, available at the nps page, show no snow at all, on any surrounding mountain. I The weather is well above freezing, and the averages are north of 50.... so how can there be snow on the trail in another 5-6 weeks?

Looking for an answer... I am dumbfounded.

Leaving for the trail tomorrow! We'll start hiking on Wednesday!

I will be starting on the approach trail on the 19th. I cant wait. Who else is doing the approach?

Brian

I am starting on the approach trail the 20th!

Also hitting the approach on the 20th! After all these months of planning, it seems a bit surreal that the hike is almost here!
    This is an adventure.

Hitting the approach trail on the 21st

Mike and NOBODY starting the trail tomorrow....Originally had planned on the 15 th but things worked out better for tomorrow...

Starting the approach trail on the 22nd. See you on the trail...

Registered User beautifulpoetman's Avatar

The weather looks like it will be nice the weekend of Feb. 18th, 19th, 20th.I'm excited. Hope to see some of you. Good luck to all of you!

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chris&kya View Post
    I am starting my thru-hike next sat/sun/mon, and have been researching the whole snow issue. I understand that last year many people ran into snow in the smokey's. However, I have been looking at webcams available in gatlenburg, as well as atop one of the mountains in the park. The mountain top web cam, available at the nps page, show no snow at all, on any surrounding mountain. I The weather is well above freezing, and the averages are north of 50.... so how can there be snow on the trail in another 5-6 weeks?

Looking for an answer... I am dumbfounded.
    Hey man, good luck to you - we're not leaving for another 40 days, getting anxious!

The Smokies has the good possibility of snow up until May. You get freak storms and there is almost always snow well into the first few weeks of April (in my experience, anyways). I check the cameras every week too and I saw snow a few days ago at Purchase Knob (overlooking the field/bald), I would imagine it's still there.

Like I said, I would be prepared for snow well into April - we'll hit the Smokies probably the second week of April and I fully expect snow and drifts and the last of the miserable winter weather.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

Thumbs up

Hey Triton!

Nice to meet you this evening at Haven's Budget Motel in Franklin, NC! Have a great hike!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++