WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries
    Images

I spent $7 on mine at Walmart and I love it. It works on 2 of those nickel-sized batteries. Works great!
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Images

I have a few of the Princeton Aurora. They're like $15 regular price at Academy or Dick's. I picked up a couple more when they were on sale for $10. They're decent. 3 brightness modes, 2 flashing modes, uses 3 AAA batteries. Only downside, no red light. I have one of those Energizer lights as well, another good option as well.

SMSP

Images

We didnt go very far into the cave. My hard hat would not stay out of my eyes. I couldn't look down without it covering them. It was very slick in there. Those rocks had been worn down from all the people who had come through. My light worked great though. I'm glad we didn't go far. The entrance was not straight in, you had to crawl/scoot through several bends. So once inside the first chamber, you couldnt even see light or anything. If we had gone way in, I don't know if we could have easily found our way out. We are going to Tumbling Rocks cave in Dec with my hiking group. Hopefully we can pick up more experience there and then give Petty John's another try!
    The day wasn't lost though. We also went down into the canyon at Cloudland Canyon state park. Then from there we went to Ruby Falls. That has gotten really cheesy!

Journal Entries
    Images

I hope you do give it another try, because age is the bringer of regret.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Sounds like you had a reasonably good first experience. I have the same sort of trouble with hats of any kind, not just the hard hats. Curiously, I find I hit my head more often with one than without. I don't compensate for the extra height!

Nothing like the dark of a cave, is there? That's why we recommended so many light backups!

I have been pretty deep into Petty John. Hope you enjoyed it. It is the only "marked" cave on the maps for Pigeon Mountain.

There are even better ones and you won't get as nasty as you do in Petty John. But the risks are much higher and you don't want any cheap gear in them either.

My favorite cave is elsewhere on the mountain. I won't say the name in case some dumb yahoo posted it somewhere and Google indexed it. It's not marked on a map either and for good reason. It has two deep pits. One (the Warmup) is 125' and the other is nearly 600' deep. I haven't been in this particular cave in awhile, but cavers continue to map it..many decades since it's discovery.

I live about 20 minutes from Pigeon Mountain. It's where I do most of my gear testing and training there.

Images

I second the remix. I love mine, lite and very bright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I have never been caving but I use a Princeton Tec Remix, It weighs 3 ounces with batteries(3-AAA) and is very bright, around 70 lumens.
    The Fenix HP10 is extremely bright at 225 lumens and around $65.00

Journal Entries
    Images

I thought this thread was done?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I'm going to Tumbling Rocks cave this weekend!

Images

Petzl is consistently good IMO, just depends on weight, brightness, etc..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++