WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Photo Journal

Hey Rooster, glad to see that you and Snow White got back on and finished as planned. I passed this on to Lucky and Lumbar; last I heard, Lumbar also got back on to pick up Maine.

You do indeed put us "point and shoot" types completely to shame. I hope there's some more distance hiking in your future.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster_2010 View Post
    I carried a little tripod (Gorillapod) for the 100 mile wilderness only. I used it for 2 photos, the one of Katahdin at night and the self portrait of Snow White and myself. Most of the time I just set my camera down on a rock, the ground or the floor of a shelter. Always with the timer and mirror lock up.
    Cool. I was thinking about getting the Gorillapod, but wasn't sure if it would really support a DSLR. Now I know.

By the way I don't know if anyone has tried this or not, but I had an idea for a set of trek poles that could connect to a monopod with a ball head. The idea is that you could have the benefits of a full tripod and trek poles, without having to carry both.

Do you think something like that would be practical for a thru hike, or would it just be easier to stick with a Gorillapod?

Quote Originally Posted by 1forcamping View Post
    Cool. I was thinking about getting the Gorillapod, but wasn't sure if it would really support a DSLR. Now I know.

By the way I don't know if anyone has tried this or not, but I had an idea for a set of trek poles that could connect to a monopod with a ball head. The idea is that you could have the benefits of a full tripod and trek poles, without having to carry both.

Do you think something like that would be practical for a thru hike, or would it just be easier to stick with a Gorillapod?

Honestly, I probably wouldn't carry either. I only used it for those two photos because I had it, I could have taken then without it. Even a Gorrilapod weighs 1 lb and a decent ball head probably weighs more. Most of the time in the wilderness I was to lazy to take it out. I guess if you don't mind the weight of have lots of time to kill, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Hey Rooster, glad to see that you and Snow White got back on and finished as planned. I passed this on to Lucky and Lumbar; last I heard, Lumbar also got back on to pick up Maine.

You do indeed put us "point and shoot" types completely to shame. I hope there's some more distance hiking in your future.

Hey Gadget! Nice to here from you. I actually was at Pine Ellis the day your thank you card showed up, so I was able to see your summit photo! PCT in 2012 if all goes well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster_2010 View Post
    Honestly, I probably wouldn't carry either. I only used it for those two photos because I had it, I could have taken then without it. Even a Gorrilapod weighs 1 lb and a decent ball head probably weighs more. Most of the time in the wilderness I was to lazy to take it out. I guess if you don't mind the weight of have lots of time to kill, go for it.
    Thanks for the info.

AMAZING pictures. I just stayed up way past my bedtime looking at your entire collection. The quality is really amazing.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Images

Truly outstanding photos Rooster. You really captured the spirit of the trail and my wife and I enjoyed following your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by 1forcamping View Post
    I carried a gorilla pod for my entire thruhike too, also carrying a dslr. I'm not sure I would recommend it; I only used it a couple times myself, even after forcing myself to carry it on the outside of my pack to encourage more frequent use.

As to how well it balances with the dslr on it - this is probably going to depend more on your lens than the camera itself. Any big zoom is probably going to topple the giant because the weight is distended so far from where the camera is attached to the gorilla pod. I found this to be a problem even with a small 35mm prime lens. The most balanced positions you can find are ones you could probably get away with using a rock for anyway -- as soon as you try strapping that puppy to a tree, as advertised, you're going to have to get a bit creative to prevent it from slipping off.

2 cents.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by v5planet View Post
    I carried a gorilla pod for my entire thruhike too, also carrying a dslr. I'm not sure I would recommend it; I only used it a couple times myself, even after forcing myself to carry it on the outside of my pack to encourage more frequent use.

As to how well it balances with the dslr on it - this is probably going to depend more on your lens than the camera itself. Any big zoom is probably going to topple the giant because the weight is distended so far from where the camera is attached to the gorilla pod. I found this to be a problem even with a small 35mm prime lens. The most balanced positions you can find are ones you could probably get away with using a rock for anyway -- as soon as you try strapping that puppy to a tree, as advertised, you're going to have to get a bit creative to prevent it from slipping off.

2 cents.
    Thanks for the warning.

Snowplow,
    Thanks so much for these pictures. All these hiker portraits are completely fascinating. Amazing to me that you hauled that weight in gear, and that it still worked at the end.
    -Sweet Potatoes

Yeah. wow. Thanks a million for sharing them. What a difference when they're done by a professional!

FYI, a few of Rooster's photos are in the latest (Nov-Dec 2010) issue of the "A.T. Journeys" magazine, pages 19 - 21.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    FYI, a few of Rooster's photos are in the latest (Nov-Dec 2010) issue of the "A.T. Journeys" magazine, pages 19 - 21.
    i knew i recognized them from somewhere! great job rooster! was your mom worried? 8)

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up

Holy smokes. Your photos really moved me - you captured the beauty and emotion of it all perfectly. I only wish I had the money for my D700 and some nice glass AND the trail There's just nothing like the quality of full-frame with a fast lens - I hope you continue hiking with your gear!
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

Best trail pics I've ever seen, please continue to share your magic.
    Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee. Gen 13:17

Images

Rooster 2010 - that is clearly a WOW!!

If you are ever in Philly, dinner is on me.

Nice way to spend a Sunday morning, awesome pics.......................

Your pictures are amazing, I will be a northbound thru hiker in 2011 and am of course itching to get out on the trail. Your pictures are a great thing for me to see right now. I am really enjoying looking through them. VERY good.

Journal Entries
    Images

Amazing Pictures!

Thanks For Sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++