WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I recently hiked out at night using a strong led head torch. The problem I had/have is judging the height of rocks and roots when stepping, everything looks flat, not so if holding a torch in my hand, just can't use poles. Other cons: more potentially bad animal encounters. No views. In icy conditions hiking at night could be dangerous. Should only hike on well marked trails and not doing cross country. Orienteering more difficult. Cooler to walk at night, but tough to sleep in hot weather during the day. Pros: cooler in hot temps, night blooming flora, views of night sky and far away lights (ie: Atlanta from top of Blood Mtn), fewer people.

I did about 250 miles of the AT at night on my 1990 thru. If the weather is clear you don't miss the great views...they just look different. You will be surprised as to how many lights there are out there in the wilderness. The stars are fantastic. It is about 1/2 as fast as day hiking. I stopped from Maryland to Vermont because too many snakes on the trail in mid summer at night. I really enjoyed it though.

geek

i despise hiking at night because of having to set up camp in the dark. i guess the worse part is finding wood to build a fire. its just time consuming and takes twice as long.

I am Not A Morning Person so I tend to rise later in the day and hike into the night. I love it, it's the best of both worlds. It is a different experience and you get to see different critters. Never had a bad experience with any of them. I've never hiked at night without a light, though. Having two light sources is mandatory, as someone else pointed out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    ...Always have spare bulbs and batteries. AND, always have a spare light.(small and in your pocket for easy access.) Why? If your light goes out and you don't have another within easy access you can't see to change the bulb or battery. ...
    With LEDs you don't have to carry a spare bulb, but, as you say, always carry a spare light where you can always find it. A cheap squeeze LED light is fine as a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by nighthiker View Post
    One outfitter told me that Petzl has a 350 lumens lamp, with a 300 foot reach, only problem is majorly expensive $$

Ultra powerful: ULTRA cost i was told is around $430 any one ever tried one?
    expect the same from others passing at night ...
    350 lumens is almost always more than you need. Exceptions might be finding a lost trail in winter or skiing fast.

I suggest not to go too cheap with your LED light. I was forced to night hike during a huge thunderstorm in Maine, although to my surprise my LED light was too dim to light the trail. It was one of those headlamps that run on a watch battery. I thought I was saving weight. Silly me had to sit in the dark until the sun came up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by catingeorgia View Post
    i despise hiking at night because of having to set up camp in the dark. i guess the worse part is finding wood to build a fire. its just time consuming and takes twice as long.

Sounds like a weekend warrior .... most weekend warriors don't need or have the need too hike at night ... specially when it sounds like fire is a priority and not making miles ....
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Images

I LOVE night hiking for all the pro's I have read in this thread. There are long stretches of trail, particularly in VA where missing views is a non-issue. Even if you don't hike well into the night, i highly suggest hiking through sunset till just after dark just to enjoy all the critters you will see. Had some great nights out there. And honestly you will get bored at some point on youre hike. This is a great way to shake things up!

Yes to night hiking. It really opens up possibilities and allows me to spend time whereever I please for as long as I want without worrying about miles to go before I sleep. Love taking a long break right at dark and hiking into the night. As we used to say, "It's as dark at ten p.m. as it is at two a.m." (Though, it can be much lighter at 2 a.m. depending on the moon.)

Anyway, the amount of time in a day it opens for hiking is reason enough to night hike. It just makes the hike an even more free experience.
    Yahtzee

Images

Try using a red filter on your light to do a night hike with. It preserves your night vision so you can see much better than you'd realize. We used to do compass courses at night when i was 15 or so up in the Water Gap(yes, i'm from NJ) all the time and we always used red filters on our lights. Never had a problem at all. In fact, when i do my thru-hike, i fully intend to do a lot of night hiking with a red filter on my light.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorsMan View Post
    I have a 15 year old son who is afraid to go outside to retrieve something from the truck in the dark. Yet this same boy who spends 60+ nights a year sleeping in a tent (Scouts and other excursions) does not care if he forgets his headlamp and is just fine in the woods in the dark. That is something that I don't understand.
    I honestly get the same feelings. Some people are just more comfortable in the woods I guess. I am WAY more nervous walking down the street at night than I am walking down a trail. When I was on the A.T. twice we camped within a mile of a road and it was the worst sleep I got the whole time I think. I have been within 20 feet of bears, rattlesnakes and even a bobcat on the trail and never really been deep down scared. But I have also moved on to new campsites or shelters because the people thier made me nervous. Just the way it is I guess.

Did it on two occasions, both out of necessity.
    1. Missed a shelter and had to go on till I got off a very cold windy ridge to camp.
    2. In Maine had to go on an on to find a camp site without rocks and roots.

Not that hard to do when your eyes get used to it. Every tree stump/log can look like a bear though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++