WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

Matty, you should patent "The Fart Chair". And maybe an adapter to inflate the NEO (I'll give you that idea, just send royalties).

Tabasco

i love your idea. I have hip arthritis (both of them, 1 replaced). I always carry a camp stool with me, I am using a Walkstool Basic, 23 oz. It is 20" high. Its my one backpacking luxury.
    A normal standard kitchen chair is 18" high. Now I know, thats a lot, but I'm stuck otherwise I couldnt move (from getting stiff on a hard surface), without sitting on something comfortable, & with bad hips its very difficult to get up off the ground (without the sickening sound of hip crepitus/ bone crunching on bone sound, going on & possibly an "I got you" sharp pain my hip wants to deliver at unexpected times during getting up, sigh).

As its 2 years after or so that you posted, I think I've seen you all brought this idea to fruition.

My only suggestion is to add shock pole hiking poles to your offering, as this is what I also use, I wouldn't hike without them (too painful).
    Thank you for thinking of us arthritics, theres a good special place in heaven for people like you. Any physician will tell you, to keep active even if you have arthritis.

I can't access the Flickr page. It says it's private....

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco'10 View Post
    I hear you there. The main idea of our project was to find multiple uses for the gear an UL backpacker would already be carrying- the chair just seemed like a good outlet where people have tried to make a "backpacking" chair, except it ends up weighing a pound. If your poles and your sleeping back stuff sack (or regular stuff sack) were capable of combining into a chair, why not use it?

In our project, we have to assess the problem and the need of a solution. In our eyes, the problem was finding a way of improving the ratio between camp comfort and a light pack-weight. The chair seemed like the best solution.

Now for the poll- we need input from the users (that means you, hikers!) to see if this is a need that should be addressed or not. So please- If you feel like you would take a chair that would add an ounce or two to your pack weight, please say so. If not, could you give a reason against it (and mweinstone's anti-tech argument is a damn good one- I know a lot of people go in the woods to leave everything behind... but I also know a fair bunch of you are gear-heads)

Thanks a lot!

Oh yeah, the Jerry chair is a great design that we were looking at, but it seems a lot of you are looking to get off the ground. We're hoping to make more of a chair than a pad (like leaftye's vision) and hopefully at a lighter weight.
    I would definitely carry a chair that added only 2 ounces to my pack weight. I volunteer now to test any prototypes you come up with. The most comfortable sort-of-light chair that I have tried is this one (but still a pound and a half, so too heavy for most backpack trips): http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

HOI (Hog on Ice) has developed just what you are asking about. It's documented herein somewhere. I've seen it.

The only negative is that it requires a tree or other upright pole for structure. That makes setting up next to the fire or conversation group a bit problematical sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXOFR...667AAF&index=3
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++