WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pack weight

My list of equipment & clothing:
    MY 2 LUXURIES FOR AT Exped 7 Down Mat & Inflatable pillow - non negotiable, I have a spinal fusion, and this luxury ensures only bearable aching overnight.
    30deg North Face bag - 850grms
    Sea - Summit liner
    Crocs
    I carry the gas cannisters - usually 2 (Husband carrys stove, pots,bowls and cutlery
    Half the tent - Copper Spur3 - 900grams
    Petzl head light - 3 spare AAA batteries
    Plastic insul mug
    Mobile (Cell) phone
    small solar charger for phone
    PLB - unsure if we will bring this (Personal Locator Beacon)
    I carry our breakfasts and Lunches (Husband carries evening meals and drink makings)
    2 x 1 ltres of water
    Steripen
    Clothing
    2 x pair undies
    1 x bra
    2 x pr hiking socks
    1 x pr liner socks for sleeping
    1 merino thermal top for sleeping
    1 merino leggings for sleeping
    1 raincoat - paclite
    1 rainpants - paclite
    1 pr crocs for camp
    1 montbell liner (underjacket) down jacket
    Wearing:
    undies & bra
    1 pr socks
    merino camisole
    merino long sleeve top
    fleece
    beanie
    neck muff
    gloves
    skins (compression leggings)
    sports kilt (extremely lightweight)
    boots.
    Toiletries
    sea to summit hiking towel
    minature brush
    tooth brush/paste
    toilet paper & ipoo trowel
    extras
    silver emergency blanket
    compass
    AT companion
    Maps?
    Compass?
    Chargers for phone and camera batteries
    First Aid comprises - compression bandage, fixomul, anti diahorrea tabs, betadine

6 months medication for 3 prescription tablets!!!!!!
    Thats it.
    I have hiked for 3 months with this kit and I used everything except the anti diahorrea tabs!

Pack: Osprey Ariel 65ltr.
    All my gear is kept in sea to summit ultra sil dry sacks and I have one of the light weight sea to summit pack covers
    Camera is clipped to my pack belt

If I have 4 days food then this usually comes in around 15kg which I think is about 33lbs. Other than my exped and pillow I can't see anything in here that is heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    Amen! I get so tired of hearing people brag about what their pack weighs or trying to prove how good they are by carrying so little. Carry what works for you and what you're happy with. As the hike progressess, you may find you want to change a few things.
    That is true, but for me, there was a direct correlation between hiking enjoyment and pack weight.

You may or may not find that doing a long trail is a different kind of backpacking experience from what you are used to. I didn't hike the AT so I have noticed a bit of a cultural difference compared to the PCT. On the PCT hikers mainly hike, they don't "camp." By "camp" I mean they don't find some great campsite and loll around for half the day. They get up early, hike all day into the evening and camp is just a necessity for sleeping. On the AT there are some who focus on hiking and some who seem to like the camping.

Because you might find that you hike more than you camp, you may find that a lof of the things you consider necessities now rarely or never get used. And so you begin sending things home.

This is how many of us come to lighten our loads. Others do so from necessity due to pain or injury.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

i am one of the way few that is just CRAZY cause my pack is anywhere from 35-50lbs depending on if its summer or winter weight and it is what it is. i would rather be prepared even for an overnigher then get on the trial and wished i brought something that i didnt. i guess i always over prepare for hiking, but then again i also carry food for my dog as i feel he is go little young to carry his own pack yet. Agreed i can alway get all NEW Super ultra light gear but the again i really dont have all that extra money for good super light gear. i went as light as i could with the money i had and agreed i could leave alot of stuff out of my pack and i ALWAYS try trust me but i do carry ALOT of water which is most of my weight. i would rather be loaded down with water then not to have any at all, but that is just my way of hiking and i am ok with that. To each his own, but i sure an jealous of all of you that have 20-30lb packs. I think i carry 10 lbs of water alone....like i said i am just CRAZY, but i like it like that.....

GA-ME 2011
    Images

What months will you be hiking and where? Are you going to Thru or section hike?

Summer week long trips find me carrying a pack between 23 and 25 lbs. with everything I need. Add about 3 lbs. for fall and 6-10 for winter (I often carry marinated, cubed beef to skewer over a fire the first night). I actually cut back on my fuel in the winter because, unless prohibited, I'll have a warming fire.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Allwen - I had the same question as Don H. about when you were going to start. Unless you're doing a January start, I think you have way too many clothes. Here's my take on your list:

30deg North Face bag - 850grms - Most thrus use a 20 degree down bag. 30 degree might be too cold for you for a spring start.

small solar charger for phone- Leave at home. You've got your regular charger with you.
    PLB - unsure if we will bring this (Personal Locator Beacon) - for sure leave at home.

On your clothing list - you have a down jacket, a fleece a merino camisole and a merino long sleeve top. Plus merino thermals for sleeping. That's way more than you need. I would leave the down jacket at home and keep the fleece. Unless you're doing a January start, I'd forgo the merino camisole and long sleeve top for a lightweight hiking shirt. You'll be much more comfortable.
    merino camisole
    merino long sleeve top
    fleece
    beanie
    neck muff
    gloves

silver emergency blanket - leave at home.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You may or may not find that doing a long trail is a different kind of backpacking experience from what you are used to. I didn't hike the AT so I have noticed a bit of a cultural difference compared to the PCT. On the PCT hikers mainly hike, they don't "camp." By "camp" I mean they don't find some great campsite and loll around for half the day. They get up early, hike all day into the evening and camp is just a necessity for sleeping. On the AT there are some who focus on hiking and some who seem to like the camping.

Because you might find that you hike more than you camp, you may find that a lof of the things you consider necessities now rarely or never get used. And so you begin sending things home.

This is how many of us come to lighten our loads. Others do so from necessity due to pain or injury.
    The AT is also a lot more brutal, terrain-wise, than the PCT. That might be why some people stop earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    Allwen - I had the same question as Don H. about when you were going to start. Unless you're doing a January start, I think you have way too many clothes. Here's my take on your list:

30deg North Face bag - 850grms - Most thrus use a 20 degree down bag. 30 degree might be too cold for you for a spring start.

small solar charger for phone- Leave at home. You've got your regular charger with you.
    PLB - unsure if we will bring this (Personal Locator Beacon) - for sure leave at home.

On your clothing list - you have a down jacket, a fleece a merino camisole and a merino long sleeve top. Plus merino thermals for sleeping. That's way more than you need. I would leave the down jacket at home and keep the fleece. Unless you're doing a January start, I'd forgo the merino camisole and long sleeve top for a lightweight hiking shirt. You'll be much more comfortable.
    merino camisole
    merino long sleeve top
    fleece
    beanie
    neck muff
    gloves

silver emergency blanket - leave at home.
    I would take the emergency blanket, unless you are carrying a synthetic bag. I started with a down bag, but later got a 15 degree synthetic. A synthetic bag can be soaked and still retain 80% of its warmth. I know people don't plan on getting their bag wet, but murphy happens, especially in the woods.

I would also carry a firesteel and learn wilderness survival skills.

If you use a groundcloth for your tent, I'd keep the silver emergency blanket and use it for that instead. I find them surprisingly tough and in theory they may or may not add a negligible boost in warmth underneath but more importantly, they're lighter than most groundcloths, super cheap, and widely available. They're pretty useless for keeping you warm or adding warmth to your sleeping bag, though, as they trap moisture.

To address the overarching topic, there's nothing wrong with carrying as heavy a pack as you can handle. I've carried a 45 lb pack and survived (and even had fun!). But I do think that if you have the option of lightening your load, whether through lighter gear or omitting unecessary/redundant gear (I agree with Moose that you won't need nearly so many insulation layers, just stick with a couple good ones and good layering technique), it may be worthwhile to do so and it may even increase the enjoyment of your hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I would take the emergency blanket, unless you are carrying a synthetic bag. I started with a down bag, but later got a 15 degree synthetic. A synthetic bag can be soaked and still retain 80% of its warmth. I know people don't plan on getting their bag wet, but murphy happens, especially in the woods.
    If your bag is soaked, that silver blanket isn't going to give you a whole lot of warmth anyways. A little heat for a couple hours, and then you're soaked again from condensation. I've learned this the hard way... a couple times! (fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...)

Best strategy: keep your bag dry. This isn't the Olympic National Park. Most down bags are reasonably water resistant these days anyhow (I've camped in plenty of hard lake-effect rain but my bag has stayed dry thus far).

Quote Originally Posted by Danielsen View Post
    If your bag is soaked, that silver blanket isn't going to give you a whole lot of warmth anyways. A little heat for a couple hours, and then you're soaked again from condensation. I've learned this the hard way... a couple times! (fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...)

Best strategy: keep your bag dry. This isn't the Olympic National Park. Most down bags are reasonably water resistant these days anyhow (I've camped in plenty of hard lake-effect rain but my bag has stayed dry thus far).
    It won't be comfortable, but a survival blanket will keep you from dying, at least. I used one for a couple of weeks on my thru, it was only comfortable down to around low 50's. It would keep me alive in much lower temps, though I wouldn't sleep well.

Images

Keeping your sleeping bag dry isn't rocket science! Simply make sure it's inside some type of plastic bag. I've forded chest deep streams, hiked in 2003 and camped in aftermath of hurricanes and have never had a wet sleeping bag.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

GA-ME 2011
    Images

You mention 6 months worth of prescriptions. I would try to carry only one months at a time. Beside reducing weight and volume it prevents you from loosing a whole lot of pills and money if they get wet, or even just damp. have you considered a bounce box?
    Also leave the poo trowel home, use a stick or the heel of your boot to dig a shallow hole.

It won't be comfortable, but a survival blanket will keep you from dying, at least. I used one for a couple of weeks on my thru, it was only comfortable down to around low 50's. It would keep me alive in much lower temps, though I wouldn't sleep well.
    I have to admit my own experience has been to the contrary. Unexpected camping on nights that got down into the 50s, my experience was that it gave me about one hour's warm sleep before I woke up shivering and soaked in condensation. I flipped the blanket over to the warm side and got maybe 20 more minutes of warm, but that wasn't even long enough to get back to sleep. After that I found there was no difference in warmth with or without the blanket, so I got rid of it in hopes of at least drying off a bit. Caught 15 minute naps on and off for the rest of the night, not very fun.

Then for some dumb reason, I tried it again on a different occasion. Maybe I figured there would be less condensation since it was less humid. When I woke up wet again, I just packed my stuff up and kept walking. Thus, I spent the night warm. After the day warmed up, I slept in the sun a couple hours and felt MUCH better.

Either way, I don't feel like those blankets would do any better keeping me alive past a couple hours than nothing at all, at least not as blankets. After 2 hours using one, I'm wet and just as cold as the air all around. Without the blanket I'd be just as cold but dry. As barriers to bad weather they are useful, or to reflect heat from a fire. Mostly they're used to wrap accident victims and such to heat them up if they're going into shock, which makes plenty of sense since they're not likely to need wrapping up for longer than a few hours. But I think considering them to be serious backup for a sleeping bag is potentially dangerous thinking, as you could end up cold, bagless, and soaking wet rather than simply cold and bagless.

4eyebuzzard wolf23000 and lwolf make the case airtight. they have summed up the entire idea. there posts represent the definitive answer. no further elaboration can be needed. personal strenth varys. heavy and light are not points on a scale. at nols i carryed 90 lbs. i was 16. the years before that, i carryed 65 on the AT and thaught i was the lightest thing since bulbs.
    matthewski

The AT is also a lot more brutal, terrain-wise, than the PCT. That might be why some people stop earlier.
    Could be, but even on the most brutal days on the PCT I never met anyone who stopped early because the trail was hard. Mostly the only time anyone stopped early was for timing the big passes on the John Muir Trail section. Or else they were not feeling well.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Garlic
    Images

I have hiked both the AT and the PCT, and I saw a huge difference in what people carry. My PCT average day was just under 19 miles. My AT average day was just over 20 miles, because I carried far less food and water so my pack was lighter. Terrain is definitely an issue for more miles on the AT than it is on the PCT, I agree!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Stir Fry

I have sectioned about 1000 miles over 7 years, and have met about 3-4 hundred hikers and I have never met anyone on an extended hike; more then a weekend, that had a pack much under 30 lbs. On W/B you would think that most are out there under 20 lbs. I have tryed to get that low never got below 23-24 lbs though. Using a light pack, tarp, other light gear. No fun. So, now I have a comfortable pack, a little heavy by W/B standreds, Hammock w/ under quilt, canister stove ect. Base is about 25 lbs. loaded with food water about 35-36, for 5 days. On my last section I had fun, felt better at the end of the day, hiked better without pain, was refreshed in the morning and all with a little heaver pack then in the past when I tryed to go light. Your weight will be good if you are comfortable. What i am trying to say is do not let weight be the main factor for you. In the end you still want to have fun.

My experience was similar to that of Garlic's, and different from what Stir Fry reports --- after getting out of the snow early on, I think my pack weight on the AT this year tended to be in the lower 20's, including food and water. On the PCT, one carries more water in the first 700 or so miles, and occasionally thereafter, and on average carries a bit more food weight, a day or two more than typically needed on the AT.

Terrain and trail quality is on balance harder/lousier on the AT; my average mileage wasn't all that different, perhaps because I started the AT with more experience than the PCT (plus I started the AT with a couple of more experienced guys that kept me moving at a decent clip ...).

In that context, 15 Kg including 4 days of food seems high to me, particularly if the OP wasn't carrying a 4-days worth of food sufficient for a thru-hiker's hunger. If planning a multi-month trip (as suggested by the medication comment and the inclusion of the AT companion), then my suggestion to the OP is to post weights of each and every item and state when the start date is planned for, and ask for feedback in that context. The different between an average pack weight in the low 20's vs. one in the low 30's is very significant, perhaps even "profound".

If no long trip is planned then ... "never mind" ... :-)
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++