WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    I apologize... that's a bit harsh.
    Guilt: the gift that keeps on giving.
    Roland

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Guilt: the gift that keeps on giving.
    No guilt, I just don't like being unkind.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    No guilt, I just don't like being unkind.
    Well done.
    Roland

Images

Thank you Roland...

Journal Entries
    Images

That's OK I didn't understand it.

Although I carry a Swiss, it's because I do back it up since a failure. I have a pic in my gallery
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-31-2011 at 11:30.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

That Gerber I received from my son is: Gerber Suspension.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post

Yea like comparing a BMW to Chinese made car...Yea Lets compare a high quality Swiss watch to a Timex knock off.. Mags You have a tremendous depth and knowledge here, did someone steal your password? Another person I look up too, I would trade places with you in a heartbeat... I have climbed the Rockies...
    To me, a car is a car. I have a Taurus wagon I paid 1K for a few years ago. I have had no issues with it, besides regular maintenance. I would also prefer to buy a Timex, I can spend the money saved on something else. A BMW is a status symbol, nothing more. If a car gets you from one place to another, without breaking down, then it is about all you need.

As for the swiss knife comment, I have made plenty of fuzz sticks, ect with mine, with no issues. I agree about carrying a sharpener, I have a small diamond rod on the biner with my knife, stainless dulls fast, it is a quality of the metal, not the knife.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well to be honest I went back and looked up the swiss knives on the hardness scales and discovered they "Claim" the same level of hardness as other top quality of knives. So apart from the small support pin that can break, and how quickly they dull, they are good for what they were originally designed for... to pull apart and reassemble guns. So I am going to look over the Leatherman's again, and try out a few.... And donate my swiss to my son. In short it doesn't matter anymore....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well to be honest I went back and looked up the swiss knives on the hardness scales and discovered they "Claim" the same level of hardness as other top quality of knives. So apart from the small support pin that can break, and how quickly they dull, they are good for what they were originally designed for... to pull apart and reassemble guns. So I am going to look over the Leatherman's again, and try out a few.... And donate my swiss to my son. In short it doesn't matter anymore....
    Like I said, the dulling quickly thing is a property of stainless blades, not just the swiss army knives. You aren't going to be able to baton with one, of course it will break. You gotta use your equipment within its design parameters. If the pin breaks, I would just replace it with a small machine screw, bolt, and some loctite anyways.

What about a utili key? Only 0.5oz has knife and bottle opener (and some other stuff). I have heard it can even be used as a pan holder if you don't mind the dent it will make in the pot.

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Tech-UKC...ords=utili-key

Stephen

The Gerber ultralight LST weights .6 oz (weight of 6 razor blades). I've had the "heavy" version, and it is a nice knife. Has a 2 inch blade.

Die Zombie Thread...DIE!!

It was interesting to see what I was thinking about in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    Die Zombie Thread...DIE!! It was interesting to see what I was thinking about in 2010.
    What's the best ultralight knife to kill a zombie thread?

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    I carry a skeletool everyday and I find myself using the knife a least once a week.

I just find the lack of carrying either a multitool or swiss army knife interesting.

What happens when your bear bag gets tangled in a tree. Do you just leave it there, or do you chew the cord off.

What if you get a splinter or a blister.

What if you need to fix a piece of equipment. Do you just throw it away?

How about making a fuzz stick and getting to dry wood to start a fire in the rain, or using the pliers to grab hot object when using your stove.

How about having something to defend yourself if someone or something means to do you harm when your alone on the trail. Even a 1" blade is better then just crying for help.

Or just having a sharp knife to crave a stick with to pass the time.

I don't get this fear some AT hikers have with a simple knife. Guides, hunters and campers out west, in Alaska, and in other remote parts of the world would no be caught dead without one. I'm not saying get a 5lb rambo knife, but a small knife or multi tool is good weight
    I'm with you on this one. why would you go into the woods with out a knife? I work in an office and wouldn't think of leaving the house without one I believe there are 3 things every man (or woman) should always have on their person: a flashlight, a bandana and a knife. without these things one is unprepared! If it were me I'd go for the basic Swiss army deals with a thin blade for slicing food and some decent scissors. Some folks like to have the multitool for the pliers, myself I don't think they are worth the weight.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Many lightweight hikers think that knives/multi-tools are extra weight. The guy that wrote the AWOL guide stated something that made a lot of sense to me. He thinks scissors are more practical for most tasks requiring cutting rather than knives while on the trail. He carries the Leatherman Micra which is first scissors and second a knife, among other things. I like this philosophy for AT style hikes. I bought one for long trail hiking. 1.8 ounces with an eyelet to place a lanyard and/or small biner into. The Leatherman Squirt (discontinued) is a little better because the tools in the handle are on the outside rather than in the middle which requires opening the tool to access them.

Journal Entries

I prefer the classic Swiss knife because of the siccors.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++