WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Crowders Mountain/Kings Mountain State Parks

I will be passing through Charlotte this weekend. I am planning to stop by Crowders Mountain State Park, and take a quick hike. What is the best/most scenic trail in the park?

Or should I pop down into SC and hike the Kings Mtn Trail.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 09-22-2010 at 10:41.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Default Haven't been there, haven't done that

Hey,
    My first point: I've lived in NC for over 15 years and haven't been to Crowders Mnt or Kings Mnt.
    My second point: check out this review from the "Local Hikes" web site.
    It gives the named trails a 5 star rating.
    Hope this helps.

P.S. Local Hikes rates day hikes all over the country, just punch in the urban area you live in to get a listing of hikes near you.

PinnacleTrail-TurnbackTrail
    Highlights:
    this one will make you feel the burn !! Near:Kings Mountain, NC
    Scenery: Distance:3.5 miles round trip Elevation Gain:800 ft Hike Time:2 hours Difficulty:Strenuous Trail Condition:Well maintained trail HikeType:Loop

Summary: This is the one of two peaks located in Crowders Mountain State Park.The trail offers many mountain laurels, birds and other wildlife. The last 1/3 of the hike is a steep climb with many rocks on the trail and requires climbing a short rock wall to get the best views of the countryside. Be sure and fill your water bottles at the Park Office and grab a map !! Trailhead: Located in Gaston County, 25 miles west of Charlotte. Exit I-85 at US 29/74, turn south on SR1125 to the park entrance. (Lat:35.12799 Lon:-81.17623) Trail Guides for PinnacleTrail-TurnbackTrail:
    Hiking North Carolina
    by Randy Johnson (Falcon)
    Best Seasons: Fall, Spring, User Groups: Hikers, Dogs, Ranger Contact: Park Ranger (704)853-5391

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Cranky
    The only thing I ever heard about Crowders is its amazing rock croppings, and its falcon habitat.

From what it looks like I need to hike the Pinnacle Trail/Ridgeline Trail, as you mentioned, or the Rocktop Trail. Both offer loop possibilities
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Default Crowders Mtn Trails

The Pinnacle Trail is very nice and offers great views of the surrounding area.

You can also make a nice loop out of the Crowders Trail, Rocktop Trail and Tower Trail. On a clear day you can see Charlotte and the surrounding area. This trail also provides many opportunities to see rock climbers in action.

The main parking area for Crowders State Park is located in the middle of the park so depending on time and how far you want to walk, you will have lots of options.

My scout troop uses the 15-mile Kings Mountain Trail for winter backpacking trips. While its a nice walk through a piedmont forest, it has no views this time of year.

I live about 10 min. away from the park. I go regularly for day hikes, I'd say the most scenic would be Rocktop . You can make a loop from Linwood Access or from the park office.

The trails can be steep in places, nothing to bad but it will get your blood pumping. Backside trail is only .7 miles to the top but at a pretty good rate of climb. The last section is a set of about 350 steps.
    They have added a 9 mile trail to connect it up to Kings Mountain S.P. and N.P. in S.C. so you could do a lot of mileage if you wanted.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have climbed Roan, Pond Mountain, Blood Mountain, Hanging Rock, and Pilot Mountain. I like a challenge.

I figured Kings Mtn might be more of a wooded experience.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

I really like the Ridgeline trail. I usually go from the main Park office to the Boulders access parking lot. Park map shows it to be like 8.2 miles one way. You can also hike into the SC park system from the Boulders access, I walked down to the military park one afternoon.

If you go to the park on the weekend I would use the Ridgeline, it will be the least crowded.

I live about 10 miles from the park and visit it often.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

One of my favorite local day hikes is starting at the park office and taking the Crowder's Trail to Rocktop Trail and looping back to the park office. Rocktop Trail can be rough on the ankles and knees on the way down, but still a good hike. Enjoy!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

++ New Posts ++