WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Prettywoman0172's Avatar
    Images

Default Upper Goose Pond Cabin

Is the cabin attended and open during the week right now?

Thank you!

A

Most likely. You could go to the AMC web site and find out for sure!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I did the research for you - Upper Goose pond is only open on weekends during the spring (before Memorial day) and fall (after Labor day).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Can you still camp near the cabin even if it's closed?

I remember hiking through there and seeing the "No camping" signs as I got close to the traiil to the cabin thinking, "Man, this would sure be a great place to pitch a tent...".

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

I remember hiking through there and seeing the "No camping" signs as I got close to the traiil to the cabin thinking, "Man, this would sure be a great place to pitch a tent...".
    there's some tent platforms. i've stealthed there too

Registered User Prettywoman0172's Avatar
    Images

Much thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I did the research for you - Upper Goose pond is only open on weekends during the spring (before Memorial day) and fall (after Labor day).

Images

They were closing down the day I got there, was told that I could sleep on the front porch. The people that was running the cabin left me pancake mix so I could have pancakes the next morning.
    Rigormortis

Those signs are to keep you from camping near the lake. I x-country ski there each winter and camp out on the porch.

Journal Entries
    Images

Upper Goose Pond Cabin is open all week until it closes on Oct. 17.
    At one time it was closed , during the week, after Labor day but now it's open all week.
    Grampie-N->2001

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Stayed here last week and had a blast of a time. Peggy, the week's caretaker, was wonderfully friendly and managed the large group of Thrus and section hikers well. Our kids enjoyed helping her make and serve breakfast and it was a super treat to enjoy wonderfully warm and fluffy pancakes with syrup and hot coffee. Unfortunately, there weren't any blueberries at the Cookie Lady and thus none for the pancakes but we didn't mind.

The lake was beautiful and the kids got to take a swim, a first on one of our hikes. You could hear my 7 year old giggle in the cool water all the way up at the cabin. We also enjoyed the washing station for dishes with separate soapy, clean and clean basins plus scrub brushes and drying racks. Truly a great stop not to be missed.

I was there earlier this month (when the blueberries were in season) and it's a wonderful spot. Great swimming pond, lovely cabin, nice caretakers, and the pancakes were great. A really fun place to stay in MA. Also camped one night in the Cookie Lady's yard and that was equally great!

One of the best shelters on the entire trail, for sure.

UGPC closed for the season this Sunday (October 21st). Camping permitted on the porch and tent platforms. Re-opening the weekend before Memorial Day 2013.

We had 1525 guests this past season. Highest total we have on record (last season was 1396). Busiest day this year was Aug 4th with 48 guests.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Busiest day this year was Aug 4th with 48 guests.
    That's just scary.
    Any idea how many of those were just hiking to the cabin and not more trail?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

August 4th was a Saturday...but that timeframe is the peak thruhiker season for us here in Vermont.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Lightbulb

does anyone know if they allow catch and release fishing using non live bait on the pond? i love going up there and and just getting away from stuff, but i've seen some of the fish and would hate to offend someone if it was not permissible.

p.s. i'd definitely be fishing away from the so as to eliminate the potential of leaving any hooks or anyting anywhere near any barefoot hikers.

In theory, you need a fishing license (this IS Massachuetts, after all). That said, I've seen plenty of hikers fishing there--there are a couple of fishing rods at the cabin--not sure what shape they are in.

Cosmo

The fishing rods are reel-less, however when I was there (camping on the porch during the storms last week) I attached 9 feet of line (paracord innards) to one and left plenty of excess hanging on a nail for extending it or doing another. There is a popper lure hanging on the leftmost porch post. Passed an hour with it, so it was worth the cordage.

Camp on front porch. Nice in season with pancakes, canoe use(used for recreation and obtaining water at a spring across the lake), not far from store by driving, swimming, good caretakers, scenic, etc

Cabin opened for 2013 this past Saturday (May 18).

Cosmo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++