WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Don't think so. There are campsites on either side of it a ways up/down the trail, but not really right there at the building. They have the hostel there, and don't really encourage tent camping. I think you'd be happiest around the Springer to Three Forks hiking area - and seeing Long Creek Falls, the cemetery, and maybe beyond there. If you have time to hike on to Neel Gap do that. . . otherwise, drive over there. Also - there are cabins for rent right at Neel Gap, so you could call and get the numbers (several different cabin rental agencies) because in Oct. it's likely to be reservation only. Several hiking trails out from the cabins to different water falls not on the AT.

You might also be interested in the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega as a place to stay before/after your hike. (hikerhostel.com) They also would shuttle you to/from your hike.

There are campsites a short distance on either side of Mountain Crossings, and you could probably build a fire there (provided there is an already established fire ring, please), but I don't think that you can camp at Mountain Crossings. They do have a hostel. Another Hostel is the Hiker Hostel at Dahlonega, and they will shuttle to the trail or pick you up. You might want to take their phone number with you on the hike in case you need a pick up (someone gets too tired, sick, or just wants an "out.") They can be found at hikerhostel.com. There are also cabins for rent quite reasonably close to Mountain Crossings, and you could call them for phone numbers of several companies that rent the cabins. Numerous trails to several water falls are around the area, and you can hike from the cabins, provided you don't mind the long hike uphill coming back. Dahlonega is a nice little town to visit, and they have several nice restaurants, if you want an evening out before your hike or after. I would suggest you make reservations early if you want a cabin, as they quickly get snatched up in October. Have a nice trip.

Oops - sorry for "double posting" - I thought my post got lost in space.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++