WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

When I hiked thru in 2001 all was available. It is a shame that the honor system did not work out. Oh well. It would still be a nice overnight even with out the goodies.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

Default 501 and Eckville Shelters - Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger View Post
    Both of these shelters are privately owned and operated by the local Mt Eagle Climbing Club. They welcome the hikers and offer extras not normally found at shelters. Solar showers, sodas, pizza delivery at 501 and a frig stocked with drinks and ice cream at Eckville. The caretakers live on site and are very friendly. HH
    Both properties are owned by the National Park Service, but operated by Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club, and were renovated by the club at considerable expense and manpower effort by the club. Due to NPS concession requlations, there is no food (or beverages) available from the caretakers on the "donation" basis. The showers are still there, and I understand that PIZZA can be ordered for delivery to the parking lot at Rt. 501 from Pine Grove, Pa.
    Lazee is still in residence at Eckville, still lovin' life and the Trail. At 501, a new caretaker is in residence: Ron, who is a DCNR Ranger for Pa. (All of you "party-hearty" people beware: Ron is a nice guy, but he IS a law enforcement officer, so no more throwin' beer bottles off the Kimmel Lookout [aka White Rocks].

Images

Hey Maybabie and Fritz,

How's it going? I stayed with you last June, left my jeep with you while I was hiking during the floods.

Just wanted to let everyone know these are nice, honest folks who will pick you up at the 501 and shuttle you to their hostel if you give em a call. It's not hard to find if you know where it is, but it's not right on the highway, so can be a bit tricky the first time. They were very accomodating, and fun to hang out with.

Hope all is going well for you,
    Lyle

Hey Lyle,
    Thanks for the note...we enjoyed visiting with you too....I think alot of the hikers expect a hilton hotel for the measely 25.00. Oh well, those uppity people can stay elsewhere cause we like down to earth people...lol.

Drop us a note and let us know about your adventures.
    Kindess Regards, Maybabie & Fritz the Cat

Default re: 501 and eckville shelers

When I hiked in 2006, I stayed in the 501 shelter. The place was awsome! enclosed, bunks, chairs, shower outside. We even ordered pizza (there where 5 of us) and had a fab pizza and soda dinner.

Eckville shelter is also a good place, especially if you get there either during or between heavy rains like I did. Also an enclosed cabin even had electricity. Only thing here..the care taker..He lives on premises and the guy was a real odd duck so to speak.

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Only thing here..the care taker..He lives on premises and the guy was a real odd duck so to speak.
    David
    maybe because he doesn't use trekking poles?

Images

Default Eckville shelter

[quote=DavidNH;37422 Only thing here..the care taker..He lives on premises and the guy was a real odd duck so to speak.

David[/quote]

Probably because he sees too many thru-hikers??

Mick is okay - he just doesn't get out much!!

shelterbuilder

Images

I know the water is from a spigot...can we count on it for water in the cold..does it freeze up easily? Thanks!

Images

Default Peanut

It's unclear to me to which facility you were referring. Sometime I will start 2 threads to replace this one. I have no idea why someone lumped 501 Shelter and Eckville Shelter together.

The pipe at 501 is insulated and Ron told me he expects to be able to provide water through the winter. The alternate(s) in the event of a problem with the pump or well are 2 springs mentioned in Water Conditions on the trail in Pa.

Water is available at Eckville too. Talk to Caretaker Mick. He's there to assist you.

Happy hiking!

SOG/Peter

Default 501 shelter

Hello everyone,

It seems this topic hasn't been addressed in quite awhile. ***update*** This season the caregivers at the 501 are Bob & Martha (sweet couple). Happy to help when at home. I no longer provide a hostel for the hikers thanks to my neighbor but I do have a shuttle service for groceries,motel,airport,bus aand other trail heads...slack packing too. You can call me on the housephone 570-345-1119 or cell 570-292-3350. My mom & dad help me out in the busy season so if I am away still give me a call. I will accept mail drop if they call first to reserve....too many boxes being left behind. Must be picked up within the week of arrival.....

Make sure you put the hikers name on it, C/O Amy Holland,76 Cardinal RD. Pine Grove,PA 17963

Everyone be Safe out there...and beware of the poison ivy Amy Lu

Hello everyone,

I would like to say "thank you to all the great hikers in the season of 2011" Next year will be a few changes, due to my marital status, and job change ..I will be driving a tractor trailer & getting married, with a move to Tupelo, MS. DO NOT Fret !!! I will be keeping my home in PA and available on occassions. My Father Lance & Mother Joyce also live in Pine Grove and are semi-retired and have agreed to take up the slack of the shuttle service I have. They have helped many hikers before as some of you already know them. If you read the forums update your "BOOK" Shuttle service for PA 501 can be reached @ 570-345-0474. Lance or Joyce Carlin
    Call for appt. and quotes on rates. My numbers are the same 570-345-1119 or cell 570-292-3350

I stopped by the 501 shelter today, really surprised by how large it is. I was there when I was just a tot and I didn't remember it well.

IMG_1532.jpg
    Welcome to Rocksylvania, where boots go to die
    ATC Member since 2011

Anyone have recent info about whether the water spigot is on at Eckville during the winter months?
    "Sea Eagle"

Every time I stopped at Eckville shelter they wasn't offering the extras and the guy that lives in the house beside the shelter wasn't real friendly at all so I hiked on, are they know offering the extras, soda, ice cream and did they find a new caretaker ? ( I hope so ) but the 501 shelter is awesome and the caretaker was VERY friendly

Images

Will any portion of the Eckville Shelter be unlocked during April? I see that AWOL's guide says that the shelter is closed until May.

501! I see several pizza options in Pine Grove, PA:

* Do's Pizza ((570) 345-4041)
    * Dominick's Pizzeria ((570) 345-4930)
    * Original Italian Pizza ((570) 345-5432)

Any recommendations? Which would deliver to 501? I can call, too, if I don't get any feedback.

Also: 501 supposedly has a year-round caretaker. True? Working on a late-winter PA section, and 501 looks ideal, if they're open.

Or even better would be Lundgren Cabin: Is it possible to stay there? I'm not a BMECC member. I can contact them, too, but hey, I'm already typing here.
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]*(570) 345-4930[/COLOR]

There is a Ranger who lives in a house next to the 501 shelter.

I tried to get an order delivered to the 501 shelter last May. They wanted a $20 minimum order, plus tip. Normally it's $15, but apparently they were busy when I called and didn't want to make the trip. I was wet and cold and really wanted a hot meal I didn't have to cook, but 20 bucks was more then I was willing to spend for a sub and what ever else I needed to pad the order with to get up to 20. 15 I would have gone for, but that extra 5 just tipped me over the edge.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks, Slo-go'en! Good to know re: 501 ranger.

Pizza: who'd ya call, you remember? So I can try the others?

Quote Originally Posted by HamSandwich View Post
    Thanks, Slo-go'en! Good to know re: 501 ranger.

Pizza: who'd ya call, you remember? So I can try the others?
    I think there is only one place which delivers there, there was a menu at the shelter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I think there is only one place which delivers there, there was a menu at the shelter.
    Yes, there is a sign/menu posted inside the shelter. FYI, the 501 is really a fully enclosed cabin, unlike other shelters, and has a large picnic table inside. It lends itself very nice to ordering pizza. You do have to walk approximately 500 feet to the road to meet the pizza guy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++