WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's funny you should say this as I was a "combat clarinetist" in the USAF Band between '69 and '73. I was therefore authorized and trained on not only your standard B-flat soprano clarinet, but did a tour on bass clarinet and spent several months behind the firepower of an E-flat alto saxophone, now illegal in most states. I could field strip a standard grenadilla-wood clarinet at night blindfolded and slap a reed on the thing and be putting out music "rounds" downrange in under 30 seconds. A buddy of mine attempted to play a contra-bassoon with the double-reed and a pinched up embouchure(lip-lock), and the instrument exploded in a taliban fireball with a misfire. A story for another time . . . . . .

ROFL! That really made my day.

Images

Default CC Carry

Quote Originally Posted by rockerZ71 View Post
    Has anyone found a comfortable way to conceal while backpacking? I always open carry on the trail.
    Not sure if this is comfortable but they claim it is.

http://www.smartcarry.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockerZ71 View Post
    Has anyone found a comfortable way to conceal while backpacking? I always open carry on the trail.
    Just don't do this: http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article...lf_in_the_rear

Ouch!

10 stupid characters..

I have a concealed carry permit and I completely agree with Rainman on this one.

Images

Talking Rain Man is not Rainman, just so as to credit/discredit the right WBer

Quote Originally Posted by BigFoot2002 View Post
    I have a concealed carry permit and I completely agree with Rainman on this one.
    Thanks for the support and I fully realize there are people and arguments on all sides of this emotional issue. (And no, I don't carry a fire extinguisher on the AT either, though indeed it would be just as silly as carrying a gun.)

But to all... please don't blame or confuse poor "Rainman" with me. There is a "Rainman" on WB, but he's not me. I'm "Rain Man." I hate for him to get fussed at by mistake.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

But to all... please don't blame or confuse poor "Rainman" with me. There is a "Rainman" on WB, but he's not me. I'm "Rain Man."

Rain Man

Soo... which one of you played in the movie ?
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Sorry I missed that Rain Man.

I posted this before and got no answer....

Anybody who hiked the whole AT while carrying, please share with me why it was a good idea and why you would do it again.

Is this deja vu or what I now believe it is time to hear how no gun ever helped anyone get out of a jam on the AT

No whats next is what size and cal. gun do you carry, and grain load of bullet do you have. Then comes where do you put it at night, especially for the hangers. Who fricking cares, been to this rodeo before. Carry one great, don't that's well too!

Actually it's probably about time for the thread to disappear like the last one about handguns, weapons, etc. Just waiting for the one post that I will surely miss and be left wondering "what happened?" "It was fairly respectful up until ___ Hello? Is anybody there? Am I logged on? Dangit! Missed the post ...
    "...grab a stick, we're going for a walk."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    FYI- Acadia NP has an ordinance that requires concealed carry with permit.

No open carry. I guess that would mean a shirt. Too freakin' hot for a shirt here. At least for me.
    Acadia National Park has no such ordinance. They follow the same policy all National Parks do. The law that requires concealed carry with a permit is a Maine state law.

Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws.
    http://www.nps.gov/acad/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Maine's carry laws.
    http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...sec2001-A.html

Images

Some extra thing they threw in this Spring. No open carry in Acadia. I may be wrong in the wording. Early Spring, if you had a permit, you could carry on the outside, if that makes sense.

Images

I can't imagine how those opposed to being armed think all this name calling is in any way helpful. It isn't, and ad hominem attacks are a poor tactic for making a point or changing another person's opinion.
    I carry a firearm always, and have a need to do so. If you meet me in person, you'll never know I'm armed and I hope I never have a need to use it.

Images

Some extra thing they threw in this Spring. No open carry in Acadia. I may be wrong in the wording. Early Spring, if you had a permit, you could carry on the outside, if that makes sense.
    The ammendment (SA 1068) to HR 627 that took effect on February 22 of this year says this.

Section 512 -
    Prohibits the Secretary of the Interior from promulgating or enforcing any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm, including an assembled or functional firearm, in any unit of the National Park System (NPS) or the National Wildlife Refuge System (NWRS) if: (1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and (2) the possession of the firearm complies with the law of the state in which the NPS or NWRS unit is located.
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...27&tab=summary

As I read Maine's law, linked in my post above, open carry is illegal. It is Maine's state law, regarding firearms posession, that took effect in Acadia on February 22, per Federal law. Unless Maine state law changed since early spring, open carry was illegal within the State, including NPS land.

What is the source of your information? If you have any citations backing up what your saying, I'd be interested to see it.

Images

Upon further investigation I found what you were talking about. The Maine senate passed a law that went into effect in July this year that only allows concealed carry permit holders to carry concealed within the park, with the usual exeptions for off duty and retired police officers.

I was wrong in my reading of Maine's carry laws earlier. Open carry is generally legal in Maine.

I'm new to hiking, however I'm not new to firearms and I have owned several over the years. While I will probably never thru hike the AT, I do plan on at least hiking sections of the AT and other long trails in my home state of Pennsylvania. Unfortunately I have no other family or friend that enjoy hiking and camping, so pretty much I will be hiking alone.

That said I have "considered" getting a concealed carry permit, so that I can legal carry some sort of handgun concealed in the state of PA. I have frequented gun forums, and those who "Open Carry" a handgun are basically flaunting their 2nd admendment right and in some cases treading on legal "thin ice".

There are handguns that are ultra-light backpackers dream. Kel-Tec makes pocketguns that are small, light, and compact so that no one would never know you have one a gun on you.
    http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/

I can tell you as urban sprawl hits the AT there will eventually be more crime. Also I live in PA, and you will be suprised how much really bad crime there is in places like Stroudsburg, Allentown, and Reading. Also a handgun makes a decent "Last Ditch" defense against an animal attack. Granted a little pocket pistol will probably not kill a black bear, but when you are alone and a bear is bitting into you, its better then just screaming help.

I think its something to consider for those who hike alone, or for females hiking alone. Check with your county sheriff's department. In some states its pretty easy to get a permit, while others you need to take classes and jump through some hoops. Once you get a permit to carry in your state, that does not mean its legal to carry concealed in all 50 state. A PA License is reciprocal in states like Virgina, North Carolina, and New Hampshire, but not in Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Thru hikers who want to carry a handgun would need to do some serious homework and will probably need to get a license to carry in multiple states.
    http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php

All in all, I think the AT is safe, but you never know, and its best to be prepared. If you choose to avoid carrying a gun, you can still say carry some mace/bear spray and a decent camp knife just in case.

This thread is on the same topic as this one that was moved.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++