WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default I need ideas for different breakfast foods...

for a ten day backpack trip and I will have no re-supply point!! So, I need lightweight items and some variety....I generally have gone with instant oatmeal or cream of wheat, or even granola with dehydrated milk....But, that gets old quick!!

Am I missing anything? Or, just limited on what I can take for this meal!!
    The coffee idea is already included..

HELP!!

Images

Glad you remembered the coffee! One of my favorites is bacon cheese grits, with bacon. Oh, and cheese. Really sticks with you. I'll also take bagels (they don't crush easily and stay relatively fresh for a while) with summer sausage and cheese.

Images

I've been doing the oatmeal thing like you for several section hikes and I think I'm going to try something else, too. It doesn't keep me full very long. At home I like Grape Nuts and I only need 1/2 cup to feel full and I feel full a long time. Kind of crunchy even in milk, so I think I'll try pouring in a little of my hot chocolate when on the trail.

99% of my hiking breakfasts are (1) Starbucks Via Instant coffee mixed with Nestle's hot chocolate mix, and (2) protein bars, nearly always 2 peanut butter South Beach Diet bars.

HOWEVER, last year when I was doing my fall hike, I saw a lady pull out a ziplock baggie filled with Kellogg's Frosted Flakes and a correct amount of powdered milk. She added water, zipped the baggie closed, gave it a shake, opened it, and dug in with a spoon. That looked so damned good that I would have given her $20 for it if I thought she'd take it.

Edited to say that I never eat that type of food (junk cereal). Never. Not since I was maybe 8 yrs old. But somehow at the time, it looked incredibly delicious.
    Last edited by John B; 08-20-2010 at 20:34. Reason: clarity, of course

Images

Not quite home made, but I do like cream chipped beef...

McCormick has a 2.64 ounce packet of "Original Country Gravy" mix that makes two cups. I like to spilt this up to use for two breakfasts.

Get a small jar of Hormel or Armour dried beef and take out however much you like, cut into quarters, then place into the mix.

To cook combine the mix, beef and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil and turn down to simmer until thickened. I like to pour over toast or biscuits that were toasted/cooked before the start of a trip.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 08-20-2010 at 20:33.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

I recently tried Earth Grains thin buns and believe they will be great for hiking because they're light and already flat. Add some pb&j to the buns with a cup of coffee and it's a quick and easy start for the day. A little twist taking a bit more cooking and time would be bacon or sausage, egg and cheese on the buns.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Grits with butter, bacon bits, or gravy
    Couscous or rice can become a savory or sweet dish
    Cereal, as John said, with milk (I like raisin bran and prefer Nido milk)
    Frequent for me is peanut butter and honey on flour tortilla; also substitute Nutella, jelly, flavored or plain bagels; graham crackers fig newtons, other cookies (sometimes eaten with a spoon).

I just tested several types of granola for the Hundred Mile Wilderness trip I did in 2008. I finally decided on the one with the highest caloric content per oz. I never got tired of it. I used dry Nido milk for the extra fat content and had it both cold and hot. A lack of variety won't kill you for a 10 day trip!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Hormel's precooked bacon will last a couple of days for variety. I've tried the mountain house dehydrated bacon and eggs dish and didn't care for it. Try a combination of all the suggestions you get for variety. I also do Clif Bars for breakfast when I don't want to cook.

as a substitute to the hot cocoa try something like Optimum Nutrition chocolate protein powder mixed with coffee, tastes like cappuccino and more nutritious that the hot chocolate

Images

Got a 6.5 inch IMUSA pan from Wally - used it to cook pancakes for the wife and me on our section hike. Used 1/2 of a large container of shake-and-pour pancake mix for both of us. Made about 8 pancakes. Pan did not need oil, just seasoning beforehand in the oven. Surprised her with real maple syrup, but that was VERY heavy. Pan wil also cook eggs really well. I used a Pocket-Rocket for the stove. I used a couple of jelly packs or honey packs per pancake. Nutella is good as well. I did the same thing with the flat breads as well, for lunch.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Crushed Frosted Cinnamon Pop Tarts.

I guess that wasn't very original...........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I'll take any form of grain: oatmeal, bulgur, grits, cream of wheat. However, it's all about what you put in it: vary any type of dried fruit, cinnamon, brown sugar, dried milk, spices, jello mix, and of course, add a type of NUT for more protein. I have lots of recipes if you need some ideas.

I shave about a half inch of pepperoni into the salted water as I bring it to a boil for my grits. I use the blue label box, as I don't care for the price or texture of those grits that come in envelopes. I serve them with olive oil, which I use in my other foods also.

Images

Cup of coffee and any of the following:

- granola bar
    - Carnation breakfast bar
    - handful or two of gorp
    - cookies
    - pop tarts
    - cheese and crackers
    - salami and crackers
    - peanut butter on a totilla
    - fruit roll-ups
    - etc.

My point is that more and more, my breakfast is the same as my snacks or lunch. The thing that distinguishes it is the cup of coffee!!!!!

There are no rules you have to follow, it's all energy.

Fried fruit pies (apple is my favorite). This may be a southern thing. Works great for the first morning or two. Also bring along a couple of hard boiled eggs for the first few days if it isn't too hot.

Images

If you don't mind some home prep work, you can get really good recipes from a book called The Backpack Gourmet. The food, including some pretty awesome breakfasts, is homemade and then dehydrated. In camp you simply put in your pot add water, bring to a boil, turn off and let sit for about 5 minutes (book does not add the 5 minute stand time, but I have found that it is necessary for most foods).

I made up several meals for a GA section hike: Ate homemade lasagna, linguine in mushroom sauce, Grits, eggs and bacon (This one is very good!), etc.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

You don't have to just eat granola ceral. Any high calorie type works. Many of us just eat cold Pop Tarts, danishes, or Hostess Fruit Pies for breakfast. Eat one as you are packing up or eat it while hiking on the trail can save some time when you want to get going in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    You don't have to just eat granola ceral. Any high calorie type works. Many of us just eat cold Pop Tarts, danishes, or Hostess Fruit Pies for breakfast. Eat one as you are packing up or eat it while hiking on the trail can save some time when you want to get going in a hurry.
    Many folks like the ritual of cooking breakfast. I don't. My group is generally faster than me and it works out just fine. They cook, have their coffee, while I'm gone. It's all good as they catch me by late morning or early afternoon. If it were the other way around I would never see them.....

I think folks first need to decide which camp they are in. Can they eat cold and move on or do they need the cooked breakfast, the hot coffee, or cocoa. I'm glad I prefer cold.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Default Miner.....I'd love to do what you suggest, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post

I'm planning to do the JMT, so at least one segment has no resupply for over ten days...So, I would have thought pop tarts and other pastries would not be practical.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++