WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It's a good idea to go southbound. Your passes get higher as you move south so you have time to build up your strength and altitude acclimation. Also, you climb north facing slopes more often if you head south. This means they are not baking in the sun as much. Also, the resupply places at the north end of the trail are closer together giving you more time to build up your speed.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It's a good idea to go southbound. Your passes get higher as you move south so you have time to build up your strength and altitude acclimation. Also, you climb north facing slopes more often if you head south. This means they are not baking in the sun as much. Also, the resupply places at the north end of the trail are closer together giving you more time to build up your speed.
    Yeah, what Piper said. Plus, if you go Southbound you end on top of Whitney, which I think is more spectacular.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Just finished solo JMT on the october 1st
    So beautiful and what a life changing experience
    My advise free your schedule and take your time.
    They were some place I wanted to stay for ever no wanting to go anywhere.
    just pack your stuff and hit the trail.

From research I did before hiking the trail, I found most recommended north-to-south mainly because of easier altitude adjustment. I would not want to start out by the long climb up to Whitney, nor would I want to camp at the crowded "Base Camp".
    Hiking south just out of Red Meadows, I met someone hiking north. The previous summer he had hiked north-to-south. He was enjoying his journey.

Because of permitting, I started out of Tuolumne Meadows (Lyell Canyon). That is a great place to start since most of the first day is a meander through the meadows!

I have since hiked from Tuolumne down to Yosemite Valley via Vogelsang Pass and Bernice Lake. This is a wonderful hike, 90% down hill!

No matter what...get to the Sierras....amazing territory, spectacular scenery.

You hike by this amazing tree: (the foxtail pine)
    http://www.google.com/images?client=...w=1024&bih=857
    Last edited by Rambler; 10-06-2010 at 11:24.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++