WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: bibles

Images

Question bibles

I'm planning on hike the trail this upcoming year but at the same time I want to read the bible cover to cover though this journey. But I can't find a good bible that is small and light. Any suggestions? Thanks

Images

Lots of good stories there! But as you've noted, it's a pretty massive volume. I've inherited a number of them, and even the smallest, on paper so thin I have to be careful turning the pages and with type so tiny I need reading glasses over my multi-focal contacts (might be a commentary on the state of my eyes!), it's still maybe 6 x 7 inches, and three or so thick. (Note those dimensions are from memory)

One option to explore might be a Kimble or other electronic reader. Trade-offs there, too, with weight and power issues.

I don't know if this is even available, but do you think you could find separate New and Old T estimates, so that you'd only need to carry "half" at a time? I assume you've haunted your local Bible stores?

Lightest version is electronic if you have a phone/pda that will run an app.
    After that it comes down to how small can the font be for you to still read it.
    The smallest one I've personally seen is my 55-year-old King James Version.
    I have a NASB that's also under 5oz, probably similar to this one.
    I'll have to get mine on the postal scale and measure their dimensions.

Images

What I've found works best for me is a New Testament that is about the size of a wallet-style checkbook. It fits great in your shirt pocket (or side pocket of your pack) and fits neatly in a Zip-Loc bag to keep it dry. Granted, you'll need to find something similar for the OT, but I find the NT more applicable to my daily life and it's usually what I carry.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Images

Are you planning on mail stops, bump boxes? You know, most bibles are heavy due to the cover and number of pages, but the pages are typically pretty thin. You might not have the stomach for this, but I'd get one cheap and tear the pages out. Then only take what you need until the next mail stop.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Are you planning on mail stops, bump boxes? You know, most bibles are heavy due to the cover and number of pages, but the pages are typically pretty thin. You might not have the stomach for this, but I'd get one cheap and tear the pages out. Then only take what you need until the next mail stop.
    some people cringe at that, but good idea.
    the bible can be bought in loose leaf form.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...+bible&spell=1

you can mail back each section when you pick up next. the Bible will still be complete when you get home.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

formerly amazonwoman

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    One option to explore might be a Kimble or other electronic reader. Trade-offs there, too, with weight and power issues.
    The Amazon Kindle (or the B&N Nook or the Sony Reader) is a good choice because you can take the bible and literally hundreds of other books of your choice. The Kindle also bosts a battery charge that last a month with average use (not sure what that is). You can also subscribe to newspapers, magazines and blogs that get delivered to your device.

I have been researching one of these for my hiking. Good luck.
    Dancer (Julie)
    "What saves a man (woman) is to take a step. Then another step." ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Images

Default Bible

I bought this Bible, 4 1/2" X 6" X 1 1/8" and weighs 14.5 ounces.
    I've already read the Bible from cover to cover but want to read through again, It's just so heavy, Almost an extra pound and my pack weight is already at 35 lbs. I am looking for a lighter option also.
    Probably post this one on e-bay, and keep looking for a lighter version.

Images

You memorize it, then just recite as you go, I'm just saying.

SMSP

Images

Quote Originally Posted by christseeker View Post
    I'm planning on hike the trail this upcoming year but at the same time I want to read the bible cover to cover though this journey. But I can't find a good bible that is small and light. Any suggestions? Thanks
    Have you considered an audio bible uploaded to iPod (or similar device)? Would be lighter and could have multiple use....also you could listen while you hike...good luck. http://www.bibleplayer.com
    Last edited by halftime; 08-20-2010 at 10:19.
    halftime

There were plenty (like boxes full) of small New testament bibles left at various shelters down South last year.

Using an audio Bible is a great idea, but if you simply start with audio CDs - it can be challenging to get all the separate audio files to follow some predetermined sequence. Case in point I have the NASB on CD which has 1189 audio tracks (one per chapter) on 60 CDs which take up 3.97gb. I named each CD/album in sequence - NASB Audio Bible-01, NASB Audio Bible-02, etc. - made sure each track # was in sequence - named each track as the book:chapter - sorted by Album by Artist - and created a playlist with all 1189 tracks that could be synced to my iPod Touch. Took some work.
    Last edited by couscous; 08-20-2010 at 11:10. Reason: typo

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    For some reason I don't think God would mind under the circumstances. It's all about intent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
    You memorize it, then just recite as you go, I'm just saying.

SMSP
    Fahrenheit 451
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

I think this may be the smallest: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0529058383

Now I just have to find someone who has it in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    Using an audio Bible is a great idea, but if you simply start with audio CDs - it can be challenging to get all the separate audio files to follow some predetermined sequence. Case in point I have the NASB on CD which has 1189 audio tracks (one per chapter) on 60 CDs which take up 3.97gb. I named each CD/album in sequence - NASB Audio Bible-01, NASB Audio Bible-02, etc. - made sure each track # was in sequence - named each track as the book:chapter - sorted by Album by Artist - and created a playlist with all 1189 tracks that could be synced to my iPod Touch. Took some work.
    Bibles in many translations can be bought in MP3 format and easily copied to a mp3 player. You don't have to go through the work of ripping and appropriately naming CD's. I've tried listening to the Bible and I generally lose attention after a chapter or 2. One advantage could be that you can listen while you walk, that would be difficult to do while reading.

The lightest smallest, most readable, is going to be some kind of electronic device. Even if you have to combine a phone with some kind of solar charger or extra batteries your probably still going to be lighter than a whole Bible.

There are lots of lightweight pocket size New Testaments out there but the old testament is much larger and harder to do that with.

Are you planning to go cover to cover in the order it's laid out or follow some other type of reading plan like in chronological order?

Images

Thank you everyone how gave a answer...i'm looking into the loose leaf bible. I like to see the words instead of hearing the words. I also have a tendisy of tuning out noise. But it isn't Xed of my list yet of what to get.

I've also seen Ipod sized devices at my local christian bookstore that are electronic Bibles. They aren't back lit and only have a black and white screen. I would think the battery life has to be pretty good on those and they are way cheaper than a Nook or a Kindle if all your looking for is the Bible.

Something similar to this- http://www.amazon.com/KingNeed-TB-00...xp_grid_pt_1_0 though I know I've seen smaller ones.

Images

You may have already realized this, christseeker, but the electronic versions (Kimble and others) are actually electronic books that you read, not listen to. Your post led me to think you might believe otherwise.

I prefer the old analog words-on-paper, as well. I can read electronic versions just fine, but I like the tactile feel of the paper, the weight of the book, the smell, especially if it's an old book.....Those aren't ones I'd take to the woods, however.

One source of the Bible in electronic form, both audio and written word, is Olive Tree Bible Software. I used a version of the written word KJV on my HP100LX in 1998. Olive Tree has a great search engine if you want to find specific words or topics. Some versions are free as well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++