WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Katadyn vs. MSR.

I'm looking at getting a filter system and noticed a strange trend that I can't really explain. It seems like the MSR Miniworks systems are pretty much the standard, and appear to be the most widely used. What makes this confusing is that the Katadyn Hiker Pro is smaller, lighter, takes less effort to pump, and takes fewer pumps per Liter.

What, if anything, makes the MSR filter so popular?
    Is it really the better choice?

Thanks for checking this out.

Images

I looked at both and went with a First Need XL since it is the only one that filters viruses and is actually a filter/purifier, If I was going with just a filter, I would probably go with a lighter weight option like a platypus gravity system or the 2 ounce AquaMira Frontier Pro.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1forcamping View Post
    I'm looking at getting a filter system and noticed a strange trend that I can't really explain. It seems like the MSR Miniworks systems are pretty much the standard, and appear to be the most widely used. What makes this confusing is that the Katadyn Hiker Pro is smaller, lighter, takes less effort to pump, and takes fewer pumps per Liter.

What, if anything, makes the MSR filter so popular?
    Is it really the better choice?

Thanks for checking this out.
    Not from what I've seen while hiking or from the sales in the shop where I work.

However you treat your water, be sure to use Poo-rel Hand Sanitizer or all of the filtering, boiling, and/or chemicalling is probably for naught.
    What? Me worry??

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Whichever one you get the most important thing is to use it properly, which most people don't, or you might as well just carry Aqua-Mira which (IMO) is better than a filter because it's lighter, doesn't break and takes up less space.

I will admit that I'm at risk for a water borne illness because I normally don't treat my water and only carry chemicals for those times I think the water source isn't a good one.

Images

Maybe the increase in price of the Hiker filter cartridge. Really jumped.

MSR has a ceramic style filter which makes it slower. and the Katadyn Hiker Pro has a pleated paper system and that makes it easier for the water to push thru.

Images

I own both. I like the Katadyn filter better. Not sure how you came up with the "standard" since I see way more Katadyn Hikers on the trail than Miniworks.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have the Katadyn filter and love it. Never seen an MSR "in the wild".
    "Keep on dreamin boy, cause when you stop dreamin it's time to die" -Blind Melon

MSR is a great filter but it's heavy and slow.

Images

Thanks for the input.

The reason I thought the MSR was the "standard" is just that I've seen it a lot more. Still not sure why that is though. Maybe the ceramic filter is the better option for groups or something, the people I hike with are usually involved in Scouts and other group camp activities.

I think I may just see if I can get my steripen to work properly, and keep Aquamira on hand for particularly questionable water scources.

I have the MSR Sweetwater and I love it, yes it is slower than some others, but who is in a hurry when out backpacking anyway ?

J

I dont have a lot of experience with Kataydn, but MSR's are very popular with groups as they tend to be fairly sturdy and easy to fix which is important with a group (especially boy scouts). The other advantage is that in northern new england a lot of the water sources come from sources with a lot of very fine sediment that clog up the surface of the filter quickly (even with a bandanna for a prefilter). Its easy to take a scrub pad and clean off the junk on the MSR filter cartridges while backflushing a paper cartridge is more work.

I have seen this sediment issue on ponds that look absolutely clear, like Russell or Chimney Ponds at BSP.

Images

I own both, and my BSA Troop owns both.

The Kataydn is faster and lighter. The MSR is more economical in the long run. Why you ask? If you use water sources with any (ANY) sediment at all, you will eventually (read sooner rather than later) need to purchase a new filter for the Kataydn at a cost of about $40. With the MSR filter, being ceramic, you just take out the filter, scrub it a bit and go back to pumping. Yes, you will need a new filter for the MSR eventually as the ceramic wears down, but not nearly as soon as the Kataydn.

Having said this, I really love my Kataydn and use it most of the time when I filter.

A trip to Philmont this past summer converted me to a Micropure user. Light, fast, foolproof. The taste is just fine (the same taste you get when blowing up a beach ball). Also, we (Troop and personally) never treat water used for cooking, the boil takes care of that and why burn your filter or Micropure when you don't have to.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post

I have seen this sediment issue on ponds that look absolutely clear, like Russell or Chimney Ponds at BSP.
    Hold up a bag of Russell Pond water and the aquatic life is just like high school biology class. Had to wait out a moose at the spring there once. He had the right of way. Thanks for jogging that in my mind.

Images

The MSR SWEETWATER is much more similar to the Hiker Pro. Similar weight, same micron spec., similar flow rates, similar size, similar price point for unit and replacement cartridges, etc.

The Sweetwater is faster IMO than the Hiker Pro (I own both) because the lever action is easier to pump (no breaks needed-just keep pumping). Also the Sweetwater has a slightly smaller exit nipple--this allows you to direct attach your Platypus hose to the filter to fill up a platy reservoir once the mouth piece is pulled off--super easy.

The Sweetwater is my preference.
    Start a huge foolish project, like Noah. It makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.----Rumi

Images

I was looking at sales history for water filters at work yesterday.
    Since we installed a new inventory system in the summer of 2006,
    we have sold exactly the same number of MSR Miniworks and Katadyn Hiker Pros, and 2 more Katadyn Hiker Pro's that either of the other 2.
    That would give the Katadyn Hiker a 2 to 1 ratio over the Miniworks (The Hiker and Hiker Pro are essentially the same filter).

Since January of 2008, when we got in the MSR Hyperflow, the percentages have changed a bit.
    26% Katadyn Hiker
    25% Katadyn Hiker Pro
    25% MSR Miniworks
    15% Katadyn Vario
    10% MSR Hyperflow
    (Vario showed up in Feb of 2007)
    What? Me worry??

Images

Third line of my previous post should say "and 2 more Hiker's than either of the other 2"
    Not "Hiker Pro's".
    What? Me worry??

Jolly Rancher NOBO '09 Harley&Me's Avatar

I bought the Katadyn before my thruhike and carried it most of the way (until NY i think). Then I got smart and bought Aqua Mira. My back and my feet thanked me. The Katadyn works well (as long as you dont get it clogged) but I had to buy a replacement filter about halfway through, which was expected. Just make sure you are pumping from the cleanest spot you can find to prolong the life of the filter.

++ New Posts ++