I will most likely will never thru, but if I did I would definitely include the approach trail. I have walked the approach trail many times and I still get that tingle when I reach the first white blaze, and being that I live right on the trail I see white blazes nearly everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
In 2013 I plan on "Blue Blazing" the blue blaze Approach Trail by staying at the Len Foote Hike Inn my first night.
A most excellent plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cross View Post
I did the approach trail last year and enjoyed it. The falls were worth the visit. The trail from the top to the base of Springer was simple enough, but climbing up Spring and anticipating seeing the first white blaze was way kewl! I remember as I hit the FS road thinking "I wouldn't want to approach Springer any other way than the Approach Trail." To walk back a mile on the AT to start seems a bit redundant. The hike my way to it had a bit of anticipation that was way awesome for me.
If you don't want to do the approach trail and you don't want to back track there is another option to the top of Springer. Drive another 1.6 miles past the FS42 Springer parking lot to Big Stamp Gap where the BMT crosses FS42. Take the 1.5 mile BMT hike to the top of Springer.