WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Most people regret the things they don't do more than the things they do.
    Do the approach trail.
    Yep.... I figured I didn't need to hike the approach trail so I skipped it.

Now I've finished the rest of the trail and that little stretch is calling for me to come back...

I will go back and hike it and suggest to anyone with a personality type that had a tendency to regret not doing things to go ahead and get it out of the way.

No approach trail for litefoot.

Images

Default Approach Trail

I don't even know anything about the approach trail but all the AT veterans I met on the PCT in 09 made me swear I wouldn't skip it! Actually I am exagerating a bit... Shootout just told me not to miss it. Anyhow I can't wait to see what Georgia is all about! Yeehaa!
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Journal Entries

the way i see it, is if your starting a thru hike - why WOULDN'T you do the approach??

of course I'm doing it !

Definitely doing the approach trail.

I'm in for the approach trail. I don't want to miss anything...including the pain. lol

I started a thru in 09 and did the approach trail then and it definitely kicks you in the arse to start. I'm starting again this spring and I'm not going anywhere near Amicalola!!!! I don't regret doing it the first time though. It put me on pace to meet up with some great people who I am still friends with, 2 of which will be joining me this spring :-)

Whats 8 more miles. I figure if I have trouble with that I'm going to have a tough time making it to Maine in 6 months.

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    I accidently followed the old approach trail and totally missed the stairs...
    Your thru hike doesn't count

Default Trail partner

I'm making preparations to start this journey in early March 2011. I live in N. Georgia so the falls are only about an hour away. If you are making plans for your thru hike I'd like to hear from you.

yes, do it, including the staircase. The falls is worth the view, and u can get a photo at the "arch" behind AMSP visitor center. It's a great warmup act for tougher things to come. The option is catch a bumpy shuttle ride to Big Stamp Gap, and then hike southbound about 1 - 1.5 miles to Springer summit, then back northbound.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Yep.... I figured I didn't need to hike the approach trail so I skipped it.

Now I've finished the rest of the trail and that little stretch is calling for me to come back...

I will go back and hike it and suggest to anyone with a personality type that had a tendency to regret not doing things to go ahead and get it out of the way.

Thanks for the insight 10-K. I will definitely hike the approach when starting my NOBO this coming March.

Registered User lonewolftrekker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gheparda View Post
    I hadn't previously realized that this was a subject of much debate - I'm interested in the responses here.

Are you folks doing the traditional approach trail from the visitor's center, or are you starting a bit further on and backtracking a mile or two to the beginning of the AT?
    I did the Approach Last year and truthfully its a great warm up because it shoves ya right into it all and for 8 miles its worth it.
    stumbling goes the hippie.
    howling goes the wolf.
    i am stumble wolf

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolftrekker View Post
    I did the Approach Last year and truthfully its a great warm up because it shoves ya right into it all and for 8 miles its worth it.

That's why I did it in '07. I mean, might as well start your conditioning now. Why put it off? it will only hurt later.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I'm hoping to - staying at the Hiker Hostel the night before, I heard they take the guest going to the top (up US 42) first? If it meant getting dropped off at the start of the approach at noon or something, I might opt to get dropped off on top.

BUT, yes, I am the type to let it haunt me if I don't....

tf
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Images

Why not do the approach trail?
    After all, during the course of a thru hike you'll be doing a lot of walking that's not part of the AT if you go into towns.

I will be on the approach trail.

I did the Approach Trail when I hiked the Duncan Ridge Trail/Neels Gap/Springer loop last April. Didn't realize it was so difficult to start off at Springer. I actually arranged for a shuttle to take me to the top of Springer and then had to postpone for a few days due to my pet's medical issues. Decided the 45 bucks wasn't worth it and walked it. Did the stairs on the way up and the side trail on the way back down. Got to say the stairs are the way to go. I felt like the older trail behind the visitor's center maybe the more "trail" of the two but it's really quite boring and the steps up the falls are an excellent wake up call. Nothing like having your legs completely frosted an hour into the trip.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

I planned to start my thru-hike with some guys I met on these forums (here and trailplace). They were not planning to hike the Approach so I started a day early in order hike it and meet them at Springer the next day. It was pouring rain when my wife dropped me off at Amacolala State Park and I admit I was beginning to question my decision...until I saw the falls and began to climb the steps.

Despite the weather, it was enjoyable and the time alone helped calm my jitters and allowed me time to acclimate to the start of a lifelong dream. It was a little like a warm-up jog before starting a 10K, etc. Got the juices flowing.

I had not hiked the Approach before so I'm glad I did it.

... HYOH
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Taking a walk......

http://www.trailjournals.com/dg2010atnobo

Smile

I'm still undecided but leaning towards the FS-42 approach trail. I will just backtrack the mile or so to the trail head at springer.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++