WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Default South Taconic-AT loop in MA

I'm thinking about linking up the AT and the South Taconic Trail in MA (plus a bit in CT and NY) to make a 30-mile loop. At the south end, it looks like the two trails connect via the trail to Mt. Frissell (which goes over the CT high point), and on the north end you'd have to road walk a couple of miles on Jug End Rd.

Has anyone done the South Taconic Trail or tried this loop? I've heard good things about the west side of the Taconics, but I've never been over there.

Images

These are my favorite trails. Check out the map by Berkshire Natural Resource Council
    http://www.bnrc.net/map.html Scroll down to the South Taconic Trail Map. It is a great map complete with a history of the area. If you start on the south end of the STT and hike north, parking for 2-3 cars. The hike up Brace Mt. will get your attention. If you arrive late in the day there is a great campsite (30 min hike) at the top of the climb up from your car - the trail makes a sharp left and turn right, cross a small stream in 100 ft and the large campsite is located on the south side of the stream at the top of the falls. The last time I was there, there was considerable bear sign in the campsite. Views to the west are outstanding as is Bash Bish Falls - be sure to hike down to the bottom of the falls as the STT crosses at the top. . When you get to the northern terminus, at Rt 23, road walk or shuttle over to Jug End Rd and take the AT south and go over Mt. Everett, Race Mt great views to the east (short side trip down to Race Brook Falls, If time permits, continue south up over Bear MT great views and down the south side to Riga Junction then turn left (downhill) and loop back on Paradise trail (awesome cruising trail) back to Sages Ravine, cross the At at the north side of Bear Mt and go out to AMC hut, cross West St go up over Round (I think) & Frissell to Brace and south on the SST back to your car. If you need any other help let me know.

Images

Forgot about the great views from Alander Mt. There is also a small cabin in a notch just south of Alander. Water could be a little tight this time of year on the SST so plan on carrying enough for 15 miles which would put you at Bash Falls.

The link below is an interesting thread about possible bushwhacking routes to complete the STT/AT loop at the northern end. I’d recommend having a decent map handy while reading it.

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32789&highlight=south+taconic+tra il

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Great responses! Thanks, guys.

A variant to Migrating Birds route: Start at the MT Washington State Forest HQ, hike west on the Alander Mtn Trail. Campsites less than an hour in on a trail to the left, or the cabin near the top of the mountain (it's not in great shape, and tenting spots are pretty limited). Take a left turn on a trail parallel to the STC for some nice views. Eventually it descends to the SCT. Continue south on STC to the Mt Frissel trail and turn east. This trail crosses East street and continues past the AMC NW cabin to junction with the AT. Take the AT north to Mt Everett parking area (Guilder Pond) and take the access road down to East St for a 20 min road walk on a quiet road back to your car. See http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm for maps. This is a great 2 day hike for fall foliage or at the end of June for laurels.

Cosmo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    A variant to Migrating Birds route: Start at the MT Washington State Forest HQ, hike west on the Alander Mtn Trail. Campsites less than an hour in on a trail to the left, or the cabin near the top of the mountain (it's not in great shape, and tenting spots are pretty limited). Take a left turn on a trail parallel to the STC for some nice views. Eventually it descends to the SCT. Continue south on STC to the Mt Frissel trail and turn east. This trail crosses East street and continues past the AMC NW cabin to junction with the AT. Take the AT north to Mt Everett parking area (Guilder Pond) and take the access road down to East St for a 20 min road walk on a quiet road back to your car. See http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm for maps. This is a great 2 day hike for fall foliage or at the end of June for laurels.

Cosmo
    In my earlier post I said west street, sorry east street or Mt Washington Road further south and it is Bash Bish Falls not Bash falls sorry for the confusion.

The Cabin on Alander was in decent shape when I was last there in March. Roof fixed, stocked with some provisions. There is a very large hand carved compass rose in the fir strip floor. If you do start at the State Forest Headquarters on the Alander Trail you will cross a small brook, then the Charcoal Pit Trail on your left, (the trail is an old roadway complete with "corduroy" ) then the larger Ashley Hill Brook. Cross the AHB, the trail turns right up hill. Follow the brook downstream (crystal clear water) on the west side. You will see the remnants of a very old mill dam, there is a great campsite and mini gorge, deep pools and neat rock formations. It is a level 100 yd walk. It is a great "secret spot" for watching the brook trout and meditation.

Images

Thumbs up Variation -- ALL of the South Taconic Trail and ALL of the AT through the Taconics.

I'm reviving this thread! I had a similar idea, but because I hate leaving portions unfinished, I would get dropped off at the southern terminus of the South Taconic Trail, hike north to the Catamount ski area, and take a bike that I would have hidden in the woods earlier to get to the Appalachian Trail a few miles east. I would bike east on Route 23 (Hillsdale Road) and down Route 41 (North Undermountain Road), this being the only route nearly completely downhill, pick up the AT near a couple fields, hide my bike in the underbrush to prevent theft, and hike southbound all the way past Bear Mountain + Lion's Head, getting picked up at the road crossing.

Using the bike would prevent the roadwalk, and using this route would avoid having to cut across on some side trails before the beautiful views on the ridge near Brace Mountain and south of this, as well as the significant portion of trail south of Bear Mountain which I hear is very pleasant. I plan on doing this around April 22 -- does anyone know if the leaves will be out (or atleast partially out) by then? It would make the hike much more pleasant.

Anyways, that's my plan. Anyone else thought of anything similar?

Images

Thumbs up

Forgot to mention:

Here's a kick-ass map that covers the entire range. http://www.pdcarto.com/common/STR.jpg

Images

Anyone here hike to the top of Mt. Ashley, say, by summitting Frissell then turning north? Is it forbidden? Is there an unmarked trail?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Anyone here hike to the top of Mt. Ashley, say, by summitting Frissell then turning north? Is it forbidden? Is there an unmarked trail?
    According to the Mt. Washington State forest map, the top is inside the state forest. Going from Frissel to Ashley, you wouldn't leave the state forest.
    http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm click on the trail map link in the middle of the page.
    My recollection of the Ashley Hill Trail is that it should be possible to bushwhack up from there (it's been a looong time, so forgive me if I'm wrong). There might be patches of mountain laurel or rhodendron that could be hard to get through but you could probably go around. I don't remember how bad the underbrush is on Frissel. It might be easier now than in the summer, less brush, no ticks, no rattle snakes.

Images

The DCR map is a really good resource for this area as lots of the trails are less maintained than the AT. As long as you have the map, I say go for it, the views on Frissell and Alander are spectacular.
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    It might be easier now than in the summer, less brush, no ticks, no rattle snakes.
    I'm thinking November would be the time to do it, before the snows come in. This year, especially, it'll be messy for a while yet, then before long it'll get thick with leaves and the snakes'll come out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I'm thinking November would be the time to do it, before the snows come in. This year, especially, it'll be messy for a while yet, then before long it'll get thick with leaves and the snakes'll come out.
    I've camped there in late October just after the leaves came off and it was a really nice time to be there. For November, just check on hunting seasons.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    I've camped there in late October just after the leaves came off and it was a really nice time to be there. For November, just check on hunting seasons.
    I'm headed out that way today for a waterfalls tour - Race Brook, Bash Bish and Greylock area. Should be awesome!

I'm doing this "loop trail" with a buddy in a couple of weeks. I'm going to film the experience (my first film with another person), and would like to come up with a name for this trail that we can all share. I was thinking something like "Taconic Loop Trail" but it sounds a little bland... any ideas? If we all get together on a name, maybe we could make this a promoted trail...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuts View Post
    I'm doing this "loop trail" with a buddy in a couple of weeks. I'm going to film the experience (my first film with another person), and would like to come up with a name for this trail that we can all share. I was thinking something like "Taconic Loop Trail" but it sounds a little bland... any ideas? If we all get together on a name, maybe we could make this a promoted trail...
    Hey Tuts,always look forward to your videos,web site looks great.The "Taconic Loop Trail"name works for me,have a great hike!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Hey Tuts,always look forward to your videos,web site looks great.The "Taconic Loop Trail"name works for me,have a great hike!
    Maybe after you have finished the
    "Flavor" of the trail will present some sugestions for a name.

AT 2012

Seems like an interesting area... so I just made a maprika map of the South Taconic Range. Not really high resolution, but let me know if it looks helpful and I'll work on it. the map is gps synched... Get the maprika iphone or droid app (free) and search the map list.
    Lazarus

Came up with the name Taconic Ridge Loop Trail... any other ideas?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++