WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AT 2012

John S (above) refers to a views from the top thread on this subject, where i found a post by Will, as follows:

Appalachian Trail (AT)/ South Taconics Trail (STT) Jug End Connector v 0.1a
    11/29/2009

The most challenging is right at the start, the old trail here is faint and
    obscured for the first 100 yards or so. Spend a few minutes to get this right
    and you'll be fine.

Going N the AT slabs across NE slope of Mt. Undine then passes the Elbow Trail
    on the R. Then, just before taking a slight left to cross a leafy depression on
    the trail (frequently a pool) and then immediately swinging R to climb a slight
    rock outcropping, turn L (W) instead at N42 07 14.1, W73 25 54.0 and immediately
    find yourself on top of a very low rocky knoll running S-N. About halfway across
    the top of the knoll look W (a tiny bit S of W) and try to pick up the trail
    traces/lines of least resistance for about 65 yards. Your target is N42 07 13.8,
    W73 25 57.7, where the trail becomes more distinct.

Step down from the knoll and give it a shot. Go back to the knoll and re-sight
    if needed. If you've gone anything like 100 yards west of the knoll without the
    trail firming up, you've gone too far. Err to the right.

The now reasonably distinct trail swings NW for about 100 yards to a path
    intersection. Bear R (N). The trail improves, though there are some blowdowns,
    mostly just light branches, but in about 200 yards is the mother of all
    blowdowns, which maybe is best crawled under.

You are now descending an old woods road, occasionally thinning to a path, NNW
    to the Jug End Loop Trail and Fenton Brook.

A little less than 1/2 mile past the blowdown there is a tricky little section
    at N42 07 37.6, W73 26 09.1. Trail seems to go left, and that's OK. but there
    follows a confusing, torn up area it may be hard to pick up the track out of, on
    the other side. Instead, look to the R and you'll see a path leading up and then
    around that area. After tending R for a short while, more N than NNW, the trail
    then resumes NNW.

SKIP THE NEXT PARAGRAPH AND PICK UP WITH THE BRACKETED SECTION [ ] BELOW, IF YOU
    DON'T WANT TO GO "OFF TRAIL" AT THIS POINT.

At any point you like from here, or even a little before, possibly as much as
    1/4 mile earlier, you can leave the woods road L and go directly downhill West-
    ish through open woods and easy walking for 180-400 yards (depending on where
    you start, and how directly you take the slope) to reach another woods road I
    call the Low Road. Take a R (N or NNW, depending on exactly where you hit it) on
    the Low Road to reach the blue-blazed Jug End Loop Trail at its southernmost
    point. Cross the Fenton Brook and reach an old furnace. This off-trail is much
    more direct and is nicer and drier than the on-trail alternative that follows.

[[ THIS SECTION IS _ONLY_ IF YOU SKIPPED THE LAST PARAGRAPH.

In a little less than 1/2 mile trail swings L to descend along a stream bed.

Leave woods road at N42 07 56.9, W73 26 23.8 to take faint path L (W).

Intersect blue-blazed Jug End Loop Trail in about 130 yards at N42 07 57.3, W73
    26 28.3. Turn L (S).

After about 300 yards turn R (W) to cross Fenton Brook. The Low Road enters from
    the left just before the crossing.]]

Turn R (N) at old furnace to continue along blue-blazed Jug End Loop Trail for a
    little more than a mile, crossing a feeder stream a couple of hundred yards from
    the furnace.

Woods start to open up and you soon after emerge from the woods. Blue blazes
    end. Bear left on grassy road through meadows.

Cross stream in about 250 yards, pass twin trees in meadow in another hundred
    yards or so.

Bear L (W) onto another grassy road.

Reach dirt road at N42 08 44.3, W73 27 19.2. Turn R (N)

Follow this road about 300 yards N. A faint path to the L leads through the
    beautiful meadows, to the northeast corner of the meadows at N42 09 0.1, W73 27
    34.1, where a faint trail leads briefly due N, to a dry stream bed crossing,
    then NNW 300-400 yards through flat and open woods to another dry stream bed
    crossing and immediately a woods road running E-W at that point (N42 09 11.0,
    W73 27 41.4). Turn L (W) up the slope of Mt. Whitbeck.

The road achieves a point high on the northern-descending ridge of Mt. Whitbeck
    near a building to the left. From N42 09 11.7, W73 28 05.3 the route proceeds SW
    along a maze of trails through mostly open woods, avoiding a climb to higher
    ground on your right then climbing a knoll at the end of that high ground to its
    top at N42 09 0.0, W73 28 17.4. Though this area is riddled with trails and
    traces, it is best just to head SW from the building, using the trails when you
    can, because especially high up there is some thickish shrubbery, but keeping to
    the SW heading, climbing to the knoll to establish a known reference point. Nice
    break spot. The route then descends from this knoll W and then SW, with
    occasional trails, traces and dry stream beds through gently sloping ground with
    excellent footing. The route reaches a S-N path along the high bank of Karner
    Brook at N42 08 52.6, W73 28 42.8. Along this path you can choose your way down
    the somewhat steep bank and up the opposing bank to Mt. Washington Rd. I prefer
    a long gentle slab down to the left, and a shorter slab to the right on the
    other side, to reach Mt Washington Rd at N42 08 53.1, W73 28 46.4.

Proceed approximately 250 yards north on Mt Washington Rd and turn left onto a
    dirt road that we've been calling the Chip Woods Road, but I'm now renaming as
    the Wood Chip Road because it sounds more rustic, at N42 09 0.3, W73 28 40.5.

This 250 yards of street walking can be eliminated by a steeper and more direct
    crossing of Karner Brook to the R (N).

Follow the woods road up about 5/8 mile to reach the edge of a clearing
    surrounding a structure at the top. A distinct trail leaves the woods road to
    the L (W) and swings around R (N) to join the STT in a few hundred yards.

An alternative to the woods road is a path paralleling it on the other side (L)
    (S) of the stream it follows uphill. Though a distinct trail, it is mostly quite
    overgrown and there are blowdowns (just branches but frequent). I found it
    unpleasant.

... so how crazy is trying this? i guess i'll need to figure out how to get gps coordinates from my droid...
    Lazarus

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    ... so how crazy is trying this? i guess i'll need to figure out how to get gps coordinates from my droid...
    GPS Status and Toolbox. Free app. Reads out all sorts of useful information about your GPS system. PM me if you need help with it.

Backcountry Navigator ($10) is a pretty decent backpacking GPS app for Android. I do custom maps for it, so if that VFTT post had a link to a GPX file with the tracks, I can transcribe it, especially if I'm invited along. It'll be some work (work that I want to do at some point anyway) because I've only done NY state maps so far, and the different states have different geodata.

I'm cool with no-blazing, given that detailed a description. (I'd need to look at the VFTT thread more thoroughly, though - there seemed to have been some posters reporting altercations with landowners?)

Guess, if this plan firms up, someome needs to join Berkshire Natural Resources Council to get the "dead trees" trail maps.
    Last edited by Another Kevin; 01-24-2013 at 19:02.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Guess, if this plan firms up, someome needs to join Berkshire Natural Resources Council to get the "dead trees" trail maps.
    It's probably worth joining BNRC, they seem to do good work. I bought my copy in Great Barrington, which you probably need to go through to get to the start. The South Taconic map is excellent. There's a couple of other places on the BNRC web site that carry their maps.
    The Bookloft Barrington Plaza Rt. 7 Great Barrington, MA

AT 2012

...my wife just got told she needs to go to a conference, so my trip is on. i think i need a wise-ass emoticon with a ski hat on. will be going Feb 28th thru March 3rd -- between trips to bradley airport! Now I have to try to understand all the stuff everyone has posted! always good to see other wb'ers out there. let me know if you're tempted.
    Lazarus

AT 2012

so now that i'm planning my boutique taconic loop hike, i wanted to share that, according to that unimpeachable source, wikipedia, "In October 2009, AOL Travel named Bash Bish Falls as one of the "Most Dangerous Tourist Attractions" in the U.S." How exciting is that??? I just can't wait!!! Any other must-see or do adventures on the "loop?" I figure a stay at the Hemlocks is probably in order, and was thinking about a meal at Catamount Ski area...
    Lazarus

Images

...my wife just got told she needs to go to a conference, so my trip is on. i think i need a wise-ass emoticon with a ski hat on. will be going Feb 28th thru March 3rd -- between trips to bradley airport! Now I have to try to understand all the stuff everyone has posted! always good to see other wb'ers out there. let me know if you're tempted.
    im tempted but i dont think i can take off the 28th.last day of the month and all that.im thinking of going up that way in a couple weeks, weather permitting.ws even tempted to go somewhere this weekend. im off sunday and tuesday, might ask for monday and find somewhere to do a quick 3 day.

Images

so now that i'm planning my boutique taconic loop hike, i wanted to share that, according to that unimpeachable source, wikipedia, "In October 2009, AOL Travel named Bash Bish Falls as one of the "Most Dangerous Tourist Attractions" in the U.S." How exciting is that??? I just can't wait!!! Any other must-see or do adventures on the "loop?" I figure a stay at the Hemlocks is probably in order, and was thinking about a meal at Catamount Ski area...
    youve never been to bash bish?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

FYI, if you are doing the loop counterclockwise (going south on the STT), the trail kind of disappears around the falls. You follow the road up to the falls. Then you keep going up the road, above the falls, to the upper parking lot follow the STT from there. The trail from there goes up super steeply. If there is snow or ice there (there might be in late February), you'll want some kind of traction device.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Me neither, I've been on MT Race countless times, but never stopped in to the park.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Me neither, I've been on MT Race countless times, but never stopped in to the park.
    went up there maybe 10 or 12 yrs ago in late spring, the falls were beautiful, very steep climb up along side then standard ridgeline walking with the usual ups and downs, but fairly tame if i remeber coerrectly. its been a while

Images

1982........believe it or not, cowboyed with X.....first time she'd ever camped out

AT 2012

It is finally really snowing in CT! Looks like guaranteed winter conditions for the next month! Time to play!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

Images

It is finally really snowing in CT! Looks like guaranteed winter conditions for the next month! Time to play!

mid 40s by tuesday.

I'm going crazy trying to figure out how to get my butt to the Berkshires while I'm still harvesting and planting my garden here at home.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

[QUOTE=1azarus;1412497]It is finally really snowing in CT! Looks like guaranteed winter conditions for the next month! Time to play!

The SST is one of my favorite trails, there is a great campsite at the top of the steep climb up from the southern terminus ( go south instead of north on the SST cross the small brook and it is in the Hemlocks at the top of the falls., plus the cabin (always open) in the saddle just below Alander summit. There are two ways around Bash Bish Falls, first as described above, above the falls but you have to cross the brook - can be sketchy in winter, better is the trail on the south side of the falls - the two trials intersect near the top of the steep climb. Speaking of steep climbs, try the trail up along side the falls on the north side. There are some pictures in the gallery of some rattlesnakes I took on the SST a couple of years ago. (4) in one day.

FYI, BNRC map of the South Taconic Range is the best I have seen.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

mid 40s by tuesday.
    And rain on top of the snow. No significant snow up here near Albany yet, we've got less than an inch so far. As usual, totally different weather east and west of the Berkshires.

AT 2012

Update -- Another Kevin and 1azarus are definitely in for the Taconic loop starting Thursday morning, February 28th, and finishing Sunday, the 3rd of March. We'll be starting at the Mt Washington State Forest Headquarters and hiking counter clockwise, with the intention of using Another Kevin's stellar map making and orienteering skills to off-trail connect the AT and the South Taconic Trail near Jug End. Let us know if you'd like to join us for all or some of the trip. Personal interest: Hammocking. Call it a group hang if that works for you!
    Lazarus

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Personal interest: Hammocking. Call it a group hang if that works for you!
    I'm going equipped as a ground dweller. I don't have a hammock, and I've never tried one on the trail. I suspect that I'd not sleep well in one, but I'm mightily curious.

I'll repeat the invitation to join for all or some of the trip. I'm nowhere near as fast a hiker as 1azarus, so I'd love some company if he decides to charge on ahead and leave me in the dust (or at this time of the year, more likely in the slush). I might make up for it by having more recent practice going off-trail. Last summer I did a few of the trailless Catskill 3500's. My signature sums up my orienteering skills. (Then again, it sums up everyone's, doesn't it? )

Images

Update -- Another Kevin and 1azarus are definitely in for the Taconic loop starting Thursday morning, February 28th, and finishing Sunday, the 3rd of March. We'll be starting at the Mt Washington State Forest Headquarters and hiking counter clockwise, with the intention of using Another Kevin's stellar map making and orienteering skills to off-trail connect the AT and the South Taconic Trail near Jug End. Let us know if you'd like to join us for all or some of the trip. Personal interest: Hammocking. Call it a group hang if that works for you!
    I am dying to get out, I anticipate getting some type of game*s that weekend (first week of tournaments). I would like to squeeze in a day hike.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Waypoints from the trip report that 1azarus reposted are at http://goo.gl/maps/K3OAg .

Download KML from http://kbk.is-a-geek.net/maps/20130214/stt.kml or GPX from http://kbk.is-a-geek.net/maps/20130214/stt.gpx.
    Last edited by Another Kevin; 02-14-2013 at 01:54.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++