WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Stargazers alert ; Perseid Meteor Shower August 12th

Perseid Meteor Shower is an annual occurrence with the peak night to witness " shooting stars " coming August 12th. The viewing this year should be good since the moon will be setting in the sky around 10 pm, giving us a moonless sky which is perfect for star gazing. Hopefully the sky is clear after midnight on Thursday so those out there still hiking the trail can see Mother Natures' light show.

Does anyone have a favorite place you like to go to watch meteor showers or just go to star gaze ?

Here's a website for viewing tips and future meteor events.

http://stardate.org/nightsky
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I can never see the meteor showers. Too much fog and light pollution where I live. I'd have to go somewhere inland, anywhere but here.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Every other year on average the new moon occurs during the Persieds. I watch every year I can and hope this years is a good one.

Default Stargazers Alert

Thanks for the alert. I was able to make it to both "Stellafane" the anual telescope makers and astronomy enthusiast gathering of about 2000 folks in Springfield, VT over the last weekend and the Long Trail festival, a good distance away.

I'll be somewhere between Swatara and Duncannon. Hope there's going to be someplace to get a view.

Default Raining Fire in the Sky

Have a backcountry permit to watch the Perseids from a site high in Rocky Mountain National Park. Unfortunately, it's been unseasonably rainy this July and August. Hope the nights clear up so we can watch the show just as John Denver sang about in "Rocky Mountain High!"

++ New Posts ++