WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Harper's Ferry, 1862

I was performing my daily blog-reading when I came across this post on Shorpy. I thought that some of you history/old-time photography buffs, or all you folks who just like random, cool **** like I do might appreciate this, so here:

Original link: http://www.shorpy.com/node/8629

Today:

Last edited by veteran; 08-13-2010 at 02:37.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Veteran, your second photo is an excellent view of the canal.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Very neat, thanks for making my day.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

It really interests me to see how areas change over long periods of time. Thanks for posting!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I took two former foster sons there last week. We even visited the ATC HQ, getting them some pins to wear on t-shirts. The kids were confused just what was so cool about the town, other than the ice cream stands, candy stands and such. They were most disappointed that the dead baker wasn't still on his door stoop.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

One thing to note in all the old photos is how the hills around Harpers are nearly completely denuded of trees. This was the case well into the twentieth century all the way thru the Shenandoahs. There are actually far more trees NOW than there were then.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

It's always amazing to realize that a lot of the places we hike were at one time relatively populated. I've hiked in North Georgia quite a bit and it's interesting that what is now wilderness was at one time filled with homesteads and the like.

This is an awsome photo. I was talking to a friend of mine who is hiking next year about taking "blue Blazes" to interesting points. This picture is one such reason.. So much history along the trail..INCLUDING Harpers Ferry
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    One thing to note in all the old photos is how the hills around Harpers are nearly completely denuded of trees. This was the case well into the twentieth century all the way thru the Shenandoahs. There are actually far more trees NOW than there were then.
    Maryland Heights in particular had very few trees on it. If you hike up Maryland Heights today, you can see the remnants of charcoal pits -- the production of charcoal (for use in furnaces and forges) was the main reason for the deforestation. The Armory, Hall's Rifle Works, and the foundry on Virginius Island would have all used charcoal.

As the trail goes right through Harpers Ferry (and you can take a picture of the old bridge while standing on the trail), there's no need to blue blaze to enjoy what Harpers Ferry has to offer.

Although I would recommend a hike up Maryland Heights if you have the time and energy.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Harpers Ferry is a great 3 day stop anytime. Go see the Parks outside of HF and stop and say "HEY FROM BARE BEAR" to Laura at the Outfitters. Great folks.

Seriously - there's a John Brown War Museum in Harper's Ferry? Even in his northern hometown -- Torrington, Conn. -- his homestead was burned to the ground and is ignored, except for a single sign that indicates where it used to be.
    dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

Quote Originally Posted by copythat View Post
    Seriously - there's a John Brown War Museum in Harper's Ferry? Even in his northern hometown -- Torrington, Conn. -- his homestead was burned to the ground and is ignored, except for a single sign that indicates where it used to be.
    Well yeah, but he didn't try to foment a slave uprising in Torrington. Or maybe he did, and everyone there was like, "um, we abolished slavery in 1784, so, you know, no one here is available to rise up. Thanks anyway."
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

++ New Posts ++