WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Alternative itinerary- sections on the AT and PCT?

I've finally decided to pursue my dream of doing a long-distance trail, and I've been planning a solo NOBO on the AT for 2011. However, on a recent vacation in Oregon, I felt my heart leap at the sight of snow-capped peaks and sub-alpine meadows and I've started rethinking by plan. The spectacular beauty and the solitude of the PCT appeal to me, but I've always assumed it'd be too difficult for my first thru. The AT seems easier logistically, and I already feel comfortable/safe on the AT (I live in GA) and feel like it's "my" trail. But what if I create my own itinerary: first hike for several months on the AT and then do part of the the PCT in Oregon and Washington?

I know that what I love about hiking/backpacking is the journey itself-- seeing the beauty of the natural world and the joy in feeling my legs moving, so I don't think I need the goal of making it to Katahdan for motivation. I've read the alternative itineraries suggested by the ATC, but haven't I heard of anyone else doing a combination of long-distance trails.

I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions, and advice about the following:

(1) Are there other people who have done a combination of trails? What was that experience like and would you recommend it? Was it too lonely?

(2) I am also looking for suggestions for a custom backpacking trip itinerary that includes portions of the AT and PCT (or others) and (in order of importance):
    *goes from February/March through October/November (I'm quitting my job in Nov of this year and I have saved up money for 7-9 months)
    *maximizes wilderness scenery
    *allows me to meet people and be part of a community
    *coincides with peak wildflower displays (I am a wildflower enthusiast)
    *avoids crowds
    *avoids the worst of the blackflies/mosquitoes
    *starts easier in terms of logistics and terrain
    *includes Crater Lake and Stehekin in the North Cascades (two of my favorite places) and the Roan Highlands (never been)
    *possibly includes other trails (one friend recommends the BMT though the Smokies as an alternative to the AT)

Thanks!!!

Several times I've done trail combinations- AT/ PCT- 4k+, CDT/PCT 3k+, PCT/CDT 2k+ and really loved it. The PCT in Oregon and a lot of Washington is easier than most of the AT. You can find crowds or solitude on any tail depending on when you go. Logistics are rarely a problem out west, you just don't have as many options. Of course your weather window is bigger in the SE than the NW. Being alone isn't the same as feeling lonely.

Thanks, couscous. Trauma's page was inspiring.

Nean-- Thanks for the comments. It's great to know that other people do trail combinations.

Images

Given your time frame, I'd start the AT at Springer around March 1, hike to Central Virginia and hop off around late April/early May and start the PCT, or if the desert doesn't appeal to you, stay on the AT until early/mid june and then hop to the Sierras. Other than parts of southern OR, I didn't find any of the PCT uninteresting, but you could skip parts of California (people dislike section 0) if you are itching to get to OR/WA. You could potentially finish in Canada by early mid Sept, which would be a great time to hop back East and hike Maine, finishing at Katahdin.

Obviously this deals with a lot of logistics and money but those are the sections I'd do given your parameters. I certainly wouldn't hike the mid-atlantic on the AT if you were looking for scenic highlights.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Thanks, A-Train! That's exactly the information I was looking for. This general plan really appeals to me! It really helps to know that to maximize scenic highlights, it'd be better to spend more time on the PCT than do the mid-atlantic on the AT.

I hiked from Santa Barbara TO the PCT last year. I was totally alone for that segment because was is something nobody had ever done before. It was a fun thing to do.

When I got to the PCT I was in the thick of the thru-hiker crowd. That was pretty fun, but I wasn't out to hike the entire PCT. Just the parts I had not done before. So as I started moving ahead, I became way out in front of the pack hiking alone or sometimes with other section hikers.

So, to answer your first question. I was alone most of the time but not lonely. Nowadays, every time I return to the trail and I'm within the thick of the thru-hikers, I think it's great fun but also a pain in the neck. Too easy to get sucked into their drama. I prefer being alone and doing my own thing.

As for your custom itinerary. Do try to avoid Oregon in July. The mosquitoes are horrendous. I basically thru-hiked from July 3 at Castle Crags in Nor Cal all the way to Canada. I felt like I followed the peak of wildflower season the entire way. It was stunning. But oh man, those Oregon mosquitoes. They really got my morale down.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Garlic
    Images

Looking at your initial assumption, don't immediately discount the PCT as too difficult for a first hike. I hiked the PCT first, and there are many other PCT hikers who have not hiked the AT and never will. The PCT does require more commitment to a fast pace than the AT does, and there are more difficulties with longer resupplies and less water. But you're right about the incredible rewards.

The PCT is a good trail to mostly avoid crowds, yet be a part of a relatively small community. When I hiked, I left one day before the "pack" at the kick-off weekend and after that only encountered a couple of dozen hikers the whole way. I'm still very good friends with many of them.

I think it might be hard to get wildflowers and avoid mosquitoes, but good luck! Ditto what Piper says about the Oregon mosquitoes--they were cruel to me, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

@Diane- Thanks so much for sharing your experiences-- these are very helpful. I like this distinction between being alone and being lonely too.

@Garlic- I really appreciate your take on the PCT. It sounds like the PCT fits my hiking style-- I'm eager to get out and see it for myself.

Thanks everyone for giving me some excellent points to consider! And I'll be sure to try to avoid the mosquitoes in Oregon in July.

In '06 I did a month on the AT (April) and then switched over to the PCT for a thru hike. It worked well for me and let me hit the PCT with hardened feet and trail legs. I started after the crowd, but I caught up around the Sierras...

A-Train's proposal would give you more AT time. I'm not a fan of starting on the AT that early, but it would maximize your hiking time on both trails. March can be a bit more winter than spring hiking...

Images

Check out Medicare Pastor on trailjournals.com, she's doing both the AT and PCT in parts each year and is currently on the PCT....somewhere...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

I really like your idea of sectioning parts of both the AT and PCT during the same yr. The criteria you gave for your hikes provides for an outstanding experience IMO! However, do realize we are discussing an infinite number of possible hiking combinations seeing that we are are looking at 4700 + miles of trail in a total of 17 different states!!! That seems like enough to consider without bringing too many other trails into the equation.

I have thrued both the PCT and AT. I'm both a Landscape Architect and Horticulturalist. I also enjoy the wildflower displays and have carried plant books on all my hikes.

Some thoughts. Although both the PCT and AT have a wide variety of different wildflower species I would give the nod to the AT in that respect. The wildflowers on the AT is one of the most lasting memories from that trail that I have. Starting your hike on the AT somewhere in the south around mid-late Mar and hiking there until about early May will add many flower pics to your trek to your portfolio. It will also help you get your trail legs and familiarize yourself to trail life by having other hikers around which is something you may want in the early stages of your trek. Yes, there will be some crowds but like I said probably a good thing in the beginning. The logistics and terrain of the AT in the south will also help you ease into your hike.

There are lots of other noteworthy sections on the AT but some that you might consider that were special for me are Harpers Ferry WV into Maryland to PennMar, all of Vermont, the White MTs in New Hampshire, and basically all of Maine(Grafton and Mahoosuc Notch areas in particular).

After you get your trail legs you can skip over to the PCT. You will still catch some more late spring/early season wildflower displays north of Yosemite hiking south into the Sierras. Since you are a plant person it will also give you the opp to see the Giant Redwoods. Perhaps, you may want to hike SOBO from Yosemite Valley on the JMT! Hiking the Sierras along the John Muir/PCT around mid June will give you your desire of experiencing snow capped peaks and mountain scenery.

Crater Lake NP is stunning and unique, but you get to see it all in basically one shot and IMO not the greatest hiking parts of the PCT S/N of Crater Lake NP. OR in July means skeeeters!!! Eagle Creek PCT alternate on the OR/WA border is a great hike too, especially if you like waterfalls!
    Hiking into Stehekin from either the north /south is also quite the experience. You could possibly hike in and take the boat out to Chelan and leap to another part of the PCT.

You might get some good advice from the really nice and helpful thru-hikers like Trauma, Flying Brian, or (can't recall at the moment who else hiked all 3 major N/S trails in 1 yr, there is another hiker), but do realize all those guys hike at a rapid pace and I believe when they accomplished this feat they leap frogged around from trail to trail.

OK that's enough for now. Mull all what's been said so far by everyone.

++ New Posts ++