WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting to the northern terminus (sounds tough!)

Hey guys!

I'm going to start my hike, I decided, in Maine. I'm going to start my sobo hike soon and I'm going to go ahead and Greyhound to Maine, but something I didn't expect is the fact that Maine is so desolate that I can't find a closer location than Bangor!

Hitchhiking seems to be illegal in Maine, so I can't hitch the 100 miles all of the way to Baxter State Park. I'm in a bit of a pinch with this, could someone provide me with, or point me in the direction of information that would help me out to starting my hike?

Images

CYR Bus to Medway from Greyhound station departing at 6:00 PM

http://www.cyrbustours.com/CyrBusLines-Schedule.htm

AT Lodge shuttle from Medway to Baxter State Park. Check out the SOBO special.

http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com...hru-hikers.php

This is how I got there last year. It worked like a charm. Plus it was the first of many superb trail hostel experiences with great hosts.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Wow, I was in South Dakota two weeks ago for a wedding and you have some nerve calling Maine desolate. The previous post tells you all you need to know. Hitching is illegal most places, but don't worry about that. I only do it close to the trail where hikers are a known quantity. The ATC also has a complete shuttle list or can give you advice over the phone. Good luck.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

wcgornto: thanks for the bus schedule! I'll look into this and give it a shot! Looks pretty awesome that it would only be two bus trips and I'd be there-- plus there are probably folks there willing to help me out, so I'm excited. . Much thanks for pointing me in the right direction and getting me on my way.

earlyriser26: By all means, south dakota is quite desolate! I live within sioux falls though and have to say that things are a lot easier with hitchhiking not being illegal where I can travel the interstate and then the major highways wherever. The big difference we have here with Maine and the east coast (and I'm from Pennsylvania, I just moved here a year ago) is that the places to get to aren't off the beaten path. When you're around farms 100% of the time, it's pretty hard to get lost or go anywhere on a beaten path. There are much fewer state parks here, much fewer lakes and actual scenery aside from the western half of the state.

To tell you the truth, I'm more partial to the east coast where I can wander and enjoy being in the woods. I miss it a lot.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Wow, I was in South Dakota two weeks ago for a wedding and you have some nerve calling Maine desolate. .
    I second this statement. ME has a lot more going for it than SD ever will.

SD has....ummm....well, let's see....ummm...I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Its pretty easy to get to Baxter, just takes a little while. Get one of the guidebooks and plan away> if you call the Lodge in Millinocket, they will tell you exactly what you need to know!

Word choice can sometimes get you in trouble. Here's the definitions of Desolate http://www.thefreedictionary.com/desolate

adj.
    1. a. Devoid of inhabitants; deserted: "streets which were usually so thronged now grown desolate" (Daniel Defoe).
    b. Barren; lifeless: the rocky, desolate surface of the moon.

2. Rendered unfit for habitation or use: the desolate cities of war-torn Europe.
    3. Dreary; dismal.
    4. Bereft of friends or hope; sad and forlorn. See Synonyms at sad.
    tr.v. (-lt) des·o·lat·ed, des·o·lat·ing, des·o·lates 1. To rid or deprive of inhabitants.
    2. To lay waste; devastate: "Here we have no wars to desolate our fields" (Michel Guillaume Jean de Crèvecoeur).
    3. To forsake; abandon.
    4. To make lonely, forlorn, or wretched.

I'm pretty sure the OP only meant to say that Maine is devoid of inhabitants, therefore transportation not so easy. And in that respect it's a very accurate description of Maine.

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to say that Maine is a dreary place.

Be careful how you choose your words, they can kill...this is how wars are started.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Word choice can sometimes get you in trouble. Here's the definitions of Desolate http://www.thefreedictionary.com/desolate

adj.
    1. a. Devoid of inhabitants; deserted: "streets which were usually so thronged now grown desolate" (Daniel Defoe).
    b. Barren; lifeless: the rocky, desolate surface of the moon.

2. Rendered unfit for habitation or use: the desolate cities of war-torn Europe.
    3. Dreary; dismal.
    4. Bereft of friends or hope; sad and forlorn. See Synonyms at sad.
    tr.v. (-lt) des·o·lat·ed, des·o·lat·ing, des·o·lates 1. To rid or deprive of inhabitants.
    2. To lay waste; devastate: "Here we have no wars to desolate our fields" (Michel Guillaume Jean de Crèvecoeur).
    3. To forsake; abandon.
    4. To make lonely, forlorn, or wretched.

I'm pretty sure the OP only meant to say that Maine is devoid of inhabitants, therefore transportation not so easy. And in that respect it's a very accurate description of Maine.

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to say that Maine is a dreary place.

Be careful how you choose your words, they can kill...this is how wars are started.

Why did you do that? What is the meaning of that statement? Why would you ever say such a thing? What is the point of such a statement?

Who is John Gault?

++ New Posts ++