WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I carry a pair of New Balance sliders -- 9.6 oz for the pair, which I think is lighter than Crocs that don't work on my narrow feet anyway. They are a luxury, for town and for getting up at night to pee without having to struggle getting my feet into wet shoes.

Whats over the next hill? Pioneer Spirit's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I typically wear mid-top boots so that the lacing will keep the shoes from sliding around on my heels but I carried a mesh-sided sneaker from Wal-Mart that I wore for many miles on the North-South LBTL trail. Typical of many stores, the model was only out for about a year and can no longer be found.

I found most of PA's LHHT too rocky for anything other than ankle support boots.

A replacement for the mesh shoes was a closed toe sandal that got a big workout this year across the top of Ohio on the BT in the wet spring. I found that while they dry quickly, they seem to pick up every rock and stick that ends up inside under my feet. I only got blisters after getting wet boots so I carry them. Came in handy wading across the old canal. The sometimes give tired feet a break when alternating between the two on a long walk
    Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Buckeye Trail 2,700 miler.

Images

Crocs no socks its nice to let the feet breath.

doc mike

I have both crocs and a pair of cheap flip flops that weigh almost nothing. I'll take either of those, or sometimes nothing at all. Depends on if I know what the trail is like, the weather or just a whim.

Images

Default camp shoes

For last several years I've been using houndstooth slippers...

I like to strap on a nice set of these after a good long hike. Sure they're five pounds a piece but you can't beat comfort!

No seriously I bought some cheap o water/shower shoes at Academy. They worked well but wore out after about three weeks of hiking.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    I take a pair of LL Bean Explorer Sandals .. sometimes as my camp/water footwear .. sometimes as my only footwear.
    I have hiked in simmilar Teva sandals some 80 + miles and they are great! I would look for something lighter for camp.- Although I have never carried a second pair.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I made a pair of camp shoes out of my old ridgerest and some paracord.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Default Stream crossings

Once when I was hiking in the GSMNP in June, which is extremely rare for me as I almost always hit the trails in the dead of Winter or at the latest early Spring, while going on a trout fishing trip from Clingman's Dome to Hazel Creek I was sitting on the far side of a stream replacing my crossing sneakers with my hiking boots there was a group of hikers came slosshing across the knee deep stream in their hiking boots. Then they complained about their boots being wet. LOL..They said "Our boots have been wet for 4 days and we can't get em dry." Well, duh.....your boots will never dry as long as you wear them crossing streams. At this elevation in the Smoky Mountains you cross a stream every 15 minutes or less and they were wondering why their feet were wet.
    Some people may rather have wet feet than carry a 2 pound pair of sneakers and this is entirely up to the individuals but I just gotta keep my feet dry even if it means a few extra pounds and I'm certainy not gonna sit around my camp in wet shoes or boots in 0 degree weather which is my preferred hiking, camping weather.
    I carry down booties for lounging around my camp to get out of the boots and let em air out. They weigh practically nothing for the comfort they provide at night. They're also good to sleep in if your feet get cold like mine do. I mean I can be in a 0 bag toasty warm from the knees up but if I don't wake up at least once a night with cold feet I would think I had died...lol..

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Windcatcher View Post
    Low-cut hikers with good socks, gaiters when necessary, and Crocs for water crossings and camp shoes. Combined they weigh less than or only just as much as a pair of hiking boots and cover all types of terrain & needs.
    What you said is really reasonable.........i can't agree with you more.......

Waldies for stream crossings and camp, trail runners for hiking.

weather i bring crocks or not, i cross water in my boots. and in the winter, but with sox removed. safty first.
    matthewski

ok, gore tex socks with my trail runners sounds like a awesome idea for winter. Where is the best place to obtain some gore tex socks?

I have a pair of lightweight fake tevas I bought for $4 a decade ago. I wear them purely for camp and town, because I hate sitting around in wet shoes. For stream crossings I just wear whatever shoes/boots I'm wearing to hike. I usually hike in trailrunners these days, except in snow. I prefer leather boots for hiking in snow.

Images

A good pair of asics works well for me usually good for camp chores and i tend to avoid shelters so at the end of the day i just walk on the forest floor its like a massage.

Default ZEMgear

I'm going to give these a try for water crossings and camp shoe:

http://shop.zemgear.com/round-toe-lo...ack-black.html

Price: $30.
    Weight: ~5oz for the pair.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Ditto. Trail runners dry fast and aren't uncomfortable to walk in when they're wet.

I know it's sort of scary to go from the perceived comfort and safety of boots, but hiking in trail runners is better in every respect. Give it a try.

Now that's good advice. And you don't need extra camp shoes. You've been walking in them all day.

litefoot 2000

I normally hike in a trail runner and use cheap flip flops for camp shoes. I don't usually have to worry about water crossings but have a trip planned that will have many. I plan on taking my Teva Hurricanes or an old pair of water shoes instead of flip flops.

I bought em, they're in my pack now! Seems like a good product for camp wear. Sort of like glorified socks with rubber soles, but that's good enough. Much better than the much esteemed VFF which I tried out, found unsuitable, and returned to REI.

Quote Originally Posted by NiteRaven View Post
    I'm going to give these a try for water crossings and camp shoe:

http://shop.zemgear.com/round-toe-lo...ack-black.html

Price: $30.
    Weight: ~5oz for the pair.

Quote Originally Posted by ibhappy View Post
    I'm a fan of my vibram five finger classics. Light weight, great for creek crossings and wearing around camp. The downside of course is the price. I bought them originally for running but they double as my go to camp shoes.

I love my VFFs. I own 2 pair. 1 for summer - no room for socks and 1 for winter - larger pair with room for socks. Trying to decide which pair I will bring next weekend. Thinking winter pair.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++