WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default SOBO Hikers: 2011

Hello to all!

My wife and I are locked in now to thru hike in 2011 and after much deliberation are leaning very heavily towards a MEGA hike beginning at or slightly before 7-1. It's a decision based on the hike experience of going south, + the added benefit of saving extra money for a few months vs. a NOBO. Having enough patience once the season rolls around in March will be difficult to wait until July, but I think it's the best thing for us.

Just thought I'd start this thread to get to know some of you who will be heading the same direction as us! Very excited now as we are under a year away

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Glad I saw this thread! I had originally planned on hiking NoBo but am now leaning towards a SoBo because of a late start date and I think it would be a great(er) journey. Money is not an issue but I would prefer to be away from most of the crowds, however Im sure i will get to know some great people!

I plan on leaving in early June, probably the first week. Why are you (all) going Southbound?

Images

Congrats on your decision to hike SOBO(my fav. way to go). I remember back when I thru hiked having to wait those last few months. It was torture! But worth it. Good luck!
    skinny d

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DLANOIE View Post
    Congrats on your decision to hike SOBO(my fav. way to go). I remember back when I thru hiked having to wait those last few months. It was torture! But worth it. Good luck!
    What for you makes a SOBO hike your favorite way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post

I plan on leaving in early June, probably the first week. Why are you (all) going Southbound?
    We are going SOBO to miss the crowds, to avoid some of the summer heat of the PA and VA, to see ME, NE, & VT first in case something goes bad and we can't finish... we have seen a good bit of the southern half of the trail.

Thanks DLANOIE. We are very content with this decision, and are eagerly anticipating the hike!

SOBO 11 here as well. Plan on starting as soon as they will let me up Katahdin. I am beyond excited...

Images

I'm going SOBO because I've already done the other way twice and I want to see what all the hype is about. Figure it will feel like a different trail going this way, have more money saved up, and smaller crowds. Plus I am hiking because I hate work and need something to do until I do the CDT with my friend in 2012. So a SOBO will give me less spare time between the two hikes so I can't get in as much trouble waiting for the next hiking season to start.

Images

I as well am planing a 2011 SOBO thur hike. I hiked from VT-VA On the AT in the summer of 09 and have been planing sence. For everyone planing on leaving for a SOBO thru-hike in June I would push it back till around July 1st. Unless you like hiking with swarms of black flys, not to mention the river crossings and bitter cold nights. Trust me, you will have plenty of time and enjoy the start of your trip that much more. GOOD LUCK to all!!!

Images

I'm planning a SOBO flip/flop hike starting June 20th. I'll hike South to Harpers Ferry, then ride the train down to GA and hike back. I live near Harpers and this will make it easier for my family to be there when I finish.

All in all the direction doesn't really matter. It's the journey and accomplishment that I'm looking to experience.

My roommate and I will be going SOBO starting late June! Maybe we will bump into you guys.
    21.1% Done

Images

My friend and I are heading SOBO sometime around the 12th to 18th of June(Pumped!), hope to see some of you guys there!

I am planning on a SOBO hike because I cant gat out of classes mid term. The spring term ends close enough to the Katahdin open season that I can start there. Also, I would not be able to get to Maine except by running the whole way if I started that late from Georgia.
    ~ For indoor or outdoor use only.

http://www.jonpearsall.com

I am planning a SOBO hike starting early July. I'm trying to avoid all the crowds, but I hope to meet some great people out there.

So what campgrounds do you guys plan on staying at before/after going up Big K.

Also What trail do you plan on Taking up big K?
    21.1% Done

SOBO mid to late June! I can't wait

sobo june 11-18. counting down the days

Images

SOBO starting sometime around the first week in July. Pretty much going south because I finish graduate school in June. Planning on staying two nights at Khatadin Stream campground. Looking forward to starting this journey and meeting you all!

SOBO looking at a mid june start date.

So much dreaming and planning, and now the months are winding down.

Can't wait.
    You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment"
    -Henry David Thoreau

I've just decided to go SOBO in 2011. My original plan was to hike NOBO from Harper's Ferry to Katahdin. I hiked from Springer to WV years ago & I was just looking to complete the AT.

Well, the new plan is to start in ME and just keep on walking to GA.
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++