WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Red face Looking for a partner to hike AT!

Hi,
    My name is Rachael i am 30 yrs old and i am looking to find someone to hike the AT with me for this coming fall. I have never done more than 3 days of backpacking before. I love the outdoors and have always wanted to do this! I am only looking to hike out there for 30 days. I'm not exactly sure how much of the trail that will allow me to do, but that is all the time I have. If anyone is interested or could help me find someone that would be great. I just started to research all this...and wow...I could use any help I can get. I live in MA.
    Thanks

Hi Rachael
    I'm sure that you will be able to find a partner, and you could reasonably expect to get 300 miles behind you. This is a great place for advice. You might want to start a few more threads that ask more specific questions. Do you have all of your gear yet? Good luck to you!

Images

Where are you going to hike?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpInTheLake View Post
    Hi Rachael
    I'm sure that you will be able to find a partner, and you could reasonably expect to get 300 miles behind you. This is a great place for advice. You might want to start a few more threads that ask more specific questions. Do you have all of your gear yet? Good luck to you!
    Yes, easy to find a partner on the AT, but judging by your pics you'll be overwhelmed by guys wanting to hook-up with you. Be careful of what you wish for

Hmm well thanks for the short replys people. haha As far as gear i have a 15 degree EMS sleeping bag, big agnes insulated air core sleeping pad, a not so good backpack, mess kit, hiking boots, rain gear, and many more accessories... I'm still in need of much more though. (sigh) Like a TENT!

I was thinking of starting off in MA Greylock area all the way up to Katahdin. What do you all think? Will that take a month or so? What will the weather be like in the whites in Sept? Will there be a lot of people?

I was hoping to find someone before I start the AT. I wanted to get to know the person before hand. I'm not sure that I would want to just meet a random person on the trail... Is that safe? I mean I know searching on here or asking around facebook probably is not the safest either, but as least I will have a couple months to get to know, email, call, and do a background check! haha So again if any of you know of anyone that is in the MA area and would be willing to go, please keep me posted!
    I will be asking more questions on here as time gets closer i'm sure, so keep checking in. Thanks again guys.

Rachael

Images

you dont really need a tent... its just added weight. I just use a bivy cover. I picked a few up at an army surplus store for $50 and they are gortex so they are water proof if it rains. The lighter your pack the better. After your first few days you will start throwing things away to make your pack lighter so just take what you absolutely need! I take extra stuff because i like to document my trip (camera, solar charger, iphone) which is only like 2 pounds but when you where the pack for 10 days you start to feel every once so i rellly suggest cutting out what you can. Also get a good pack. Having a good pack makes all the difference. When i was 17 i used to used a $30 swiss gear pack... then i went on a 30 mile two day trip.. UGH! i went straight to REI the next day and bought a good pack. The cheap pack had worn away a lot of skin on and around my spine so it was very VERY uncomfortable. I would suggest getting a 55L ultralight pack. Also you want a rain cover for the pack in case you have to hike in the rain. Clothing is a huge consideration as well. You dont want anything that holds moister because as you sweat it will get heavier and heavier. Synthetics are the way to go. I always hike in the same pair of pants! believe it or not they are the same pants bear grylls wears when he is out. he has his own clothing line which are designed for what we do! Another consideration is food. i would suggest those knorr sides and take tuna, salmon, chicken... the stuff that comes warm in a bag. Light weight and you get a hot meal at the end of the day. But you will need a stove and a cook set. I would lose the mess kit and just eat in the pans you use for cooking. another thing to consider is the weather. The weather up in the mountains can get pretty cold in sept so pack accordingly. You will def need a water purifier or at least iodine tabs. I have a platypus gravity fed 4L water purifier which is great. i never have to leave camp to get water multiple times. Just one trip is enough! All these are my opiniions and some may thing different but this is what i suggest. I hope you find some one to go with you!
    If you want to try georgia, nc, tenn in sept. you can join me! but i am doing 19-21 miles a day. I am driving down there and we can prob even arrange rides. (i am looking for someone to go with as well!) Good luck!

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Two quick suggestions - first, try joining a local hiking club or at least attending a meeting or two to find a hiking partner. They have a hiking club in Louisiana, so I'm sure there are several in MA. Second, there is no perfect set of gear for everyone, and you can't know what you like until you hike in it, so I would take a couple of overnight hikes to find out if your gear does what you want before you commit to to it for a month.

Good luck and have a great hike.

Baron
    Images

Alternatively, check out your local Sierra Club(don't laugh). Around DC at least they do hikes every weekend, I suspect the situation would be similar in New England.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Thanks everyone, but I think I have found a partner! Yay

Images

Look at campmore for good deals on packs and such. I bought a bunch of stuff there and the nice thing is you can wear the packs around the store so you see how it fits ya with weight in it. Most of their tents are set up so you can check that out too. Well worth the drive if you are looking into a bunch of purchases. Enjoy!!
    "I drank what?" Socrates

re: jmorgan's advice:

I don't recommend leaving your tent behind when hiking in New England in September.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Storyteller
    Images

I'm a little confused. Her "profile" says she is a hammock hanger, but she does not mention a hammock in her list of gear.

Hoop Time, you are right! I dont have a hammock...i just liked the pic. lol

Images

Get a Warbonnet Black Bird
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

kNOW YOU SAID YOUR LEAVING THIS FALL... BUT IF YOU DECIDE TO DO 2012, LET ME KNOW IM DOWN!! THATS THE YEAR IM GOING

fall is here, how is your hike going, if you are in the Mass section, post some pics, doing a thru in 2011, would like to see some of the terrain in that section...thanks nighthiker

Good day. I am Land Shark and I will be on the tral this year starting in March. I will have trail magic the whole way with assistance from Captain PITA (wife) and Hill (daughter) so if you need any help or advice please let me know. I am in a kilt and running most of the, I always carry coffee and blueberry.

++ New Posts ++