WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I'm a late convert to hiking poles, but I won't hike without 'em these days. There are places where you could easily get by without them and a few places where it's too steep to use them, but on typical AT rocks and roots they're a godsend.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Two poles are absolutely positively better than one.

balance when crossing streams'
    help to maintain hiking pace
    with two poles you can set up your tarp tent, one pole you can't (at least with the Squall model that I have.

Descending steep trail in white mountains you want two poles
    DavidNH
    All right on and true. You rarely see thru-hikers without poles on any long trail. Also oak poles and other homemade hiking staffs although much nicer looking are a heavier load than a couple of Leki style poles. Also adjustable poles are a necessity for those of us he use poles for our tarptents.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    All right on and true. You rarely see thru-hikers without poles on any long trail. Also oak poles and other homemade hiking staffs although much nicer looking are a heavier load than a couple of Leki style poles. Also adjustable poles are a necessity for those of us he use poles for our tarptents.
    Gotta be adjustable, for those times and places where you need your hands, eg. ladders. Plus they're less threatening when you're trying to get a hitch to town.

Also with adjustable, you can set 'em shorter for ascent, longer for descent.

I think the real question here is "Are" two poles better than one.

Grammar Nazi coming out in me.
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Funny how the older I get the more poles I use.

In my teens and 20's...0
    In my 30's...1
    In my 40's...2

They help my knees and keep my hands from swelling.

Riddle of the Sphinx, right?

I have hike for many years without poles. In my youth I have climbed Mt. Washington, Mt. Greylock, Baldface Mt. and many more. This year for the first time, mostly because of my knees and back I tried using two poles I received from Cascade Mountain Tech and they made a big difference uphill as well as down hill and not once did I trip on them plus they allow you to use your upper body as well as your legs.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken Skullz View Post
    I think the real question here is "Are" two poles better than one.
    I've resisted making that comment for a while. Thanks for taking the temptation away .

P.S. Grammar corrections are in good spirit. Corrections are how we learn. Please do correct my errors!
    Last edited by Meriadoc; 03-05-2014 at 07:31.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    I've resisted making that comment for a while. Thanks for taking the temptation away .

P.S. Grammar corrections are in good spirit. Corrections are how we learn. Please do correct my errors!
    I was also gnawing at my typing fingers. It was very hard to resist! Super glad somebody relieved the itch.

1 is best. 2 is overkill

I mostly just carry a bo staff. This one gang keeps wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    One other thing, they keep my hands elevated, which otherwise when left by my side tend to swell. I tried the one stick thing AFTER I had been using poles, and I just didn't get it. Think I'd rather have one stick than without, but prefer the poles.

I would acknowledge, though, that on the straightaways, I often find that keeping the poles in rhythm is more work than I would like. If not in rhythm, they tend to be in the way. Now, ya'll let me know where there's a good trail that has a lot of them straightaways, and I'll go without poles.
    For me, having trekking poles is like having four wheel drive when going uphill. The pole plants also add some interest to the repetitive motion of walking. Trekking poles make hiking easier and more interesting for me.
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    1 is best. 2 is overkill
    yeah...it does take more brainpower to co-ordinate 2 poles......And not everyone is up to the task !
    Last edited by Kaptain Kangaroo; 03-09-2014 at 02:10.

Lol. 2 is always better than 1. I will explain in the best math+nature scenario I can come up with. Here we go.

If you have 2 poles and 1 bear charges at you and you throw 1 pole at the bear and miss, you still have 1 pole to throw at the bear as you run screaming into the woods.

If you have 1 pole and 1 bear charges at you and you throw 1 pole at the bear and miss, you have 0 poles and 1 bear that is no longer hungry (I know bears don't hunt people, just humor me).

If you have 0 poles and 1 bear charges at you then you will become bear food even quicker and you can now tell your dad, who always said that you would never be $#!7 that you have proved him wrong because you are probably digested bear poop by now.

Take 2 poles. It could save your life.

Grr. As soon as I correct someone on their grammar I say "proved" instead of "proven". 10 lashings by my grammar teacher are coming soon.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hike your own hike but I went from zero to one. I just need a free hand. But one helps the old knees.

100th post. Woop!

I carry both two poles and one, so I can switch back and forth as I tire of one method, or depending on the conditions. At times I will collapse all three and place them on the pack, and hike sans poles, but for some reason the straps on my pack only hold two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken Skullz View Post
    100th post. Woop!
    WOO HOO!! Congrats Kraken Skullz!

Quote Originally Posted by Other View Post
    I carry both two poles and one, so I can switch back and forth as I tire of one method, or depending on the conditions. At times I will collapse all three and place them on the pack, and hike sans poles, but for some reason the straps on my pack only hold two.
    Other... I have to say your posts are a lil strange.

I'm going to tote my old fashion stick I found on a gentle hike through a Pennsylvania state park. No ski poles for me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++