WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

I started backpacking in the early 70's.Most hikers just used a single pole or a tree branch or small sapling usually with a story to go with it.For about 25 years I did this also.Well now I got fancy and got a Leki Wanderfreund single pole.I need to have one hand free to ,swat gnats,wipe nose,scratch balls and to help stop a fall if it does happen.In really rocky,rough trail,which is what a lot of the AT is,a second pole just gets in the way.The 2 pole method works best for the outfitters who are making a lot of $$ selling them...

Default Walking is HARD!

Quote Originally Posted by SonrisaJo View Post
    I am a total klutz and have a bunch of small scars from bad falls I took back when I used just one stick. I've been using the same Black Diamond poles for 5 years now and have not a single scar from any fall. Best $60 (ish?) I ever spent on gear.

Two poles are necessary for me, but like I said, I am a total klutz.
    I definitely agree here. I have enough trouble walking on even ground without taking a tumble. Having those two extra points of contact with the ground has kept my face-plant count relatively low.

I use two poles going uphill as much as going downhill. It allows me to transfer some some of the load to my upper body. It does take a bit to get used to this method. If I am on an open ridge with good footing, I end up carrying the poles as they do slow me down. I also use poles in steep stuff. but if its gets bouldery, the poles get stowed in the pack.

I expect that some of the controversy with poles is region dependent, down south on the AT, I found the trail bed far smoother and better graded with far less rocks, this usually meant that I used the poles a lot less. Up here in Maine and NH, level stretches with no rocks are a rarity and I use the poles more often. Due to thin soils, a lot of maintainining groups, "pave" the trailbed with rocks as a way of keeping them from getting muddy or they install step stones or puncheons that tend to get real slick. In those conditions, poles can be real handy.

One thing to note is that if you do get collapsible poles, get the three piece ones as the two piece ones tend to stick out of the top of the pack further and get in the way on occasion. I did the Hunt trail on katahdin last week with someone with two piece poles and they really got in the way sticking out of the top of the pack while climbing the boulder field.

Two are better than one, because you aerate both sides of the trail and you pulverize twice as many of them damn rocks.

Images

I find using 2 poles the way to go for me. Where I hike there are lots of muddy areas and I have to cross on logs and the poles help me to keep my balance.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I carry one oak stick. And for months now, just about everyone I see has two. It looks like people are going skiing. Is this really better? I just don't get it!
    It's all a matter of choice for you. As you can see from all these posts so far, there are many opinions and all valid for each one's methods and needs. I have actually hiked more with 2 poles than not. However, the last several hikes I have been on, I have used a single beech stick. It is similiar to what Gene Espy used. I have actually nicknamed it "The Espy"!
    Right now I enjoy using the single stick, sometime this year, I will do a few without any poles or sticks perhaps to experience that. My advice is try them all! And the good thing is, you don't have to stick (pardon the pun) to just one method. It's all good!

Images

I'll answer your question with another question; is two legs & feet better than one? Yes they are
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

One other thing, they keep my hands elevated, which otherwise when left by my side tend to swell. I tried the one stick thing AFTER I had been using poles, and I just didn't get it. Think I'd rather have one stick than without, but prefer the poles.

I would acknowledge, though, that on the straightaways, I often find that keeping the poles in rhythm is more work than I would like. If not in rhythm, they tend to be in the way. Now, ya'll let me know where there's a good trail that has a lot of them straightaways, and I'll go without poles.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I'll answer your question with another question; is two legs & feet better than one? Yes they are
    Using that "logic", 3 poles or even 5 would be better. I will admit this is one of the best justifications I've heard over the years.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by J5man View Post
    It's all a matter of choice for you. As you can see from all these posts so far, there are many opinions and all valid for each one's methods and needs... My advice is try them all! And the good thing is, you don't have to stick (pardon the pun) to just one method. It's all good!
    Good advice here and elsewhere in this thread. There's no exact answer. I use no poles on day hikes, one pole on long trips in the desert and high country, two poles on the AT, which were very helpful in roots and rocks. That didn't convince me, though, that two poles are always better.

Interesting comment about fewer steps with two poles. I never thought about it before, but I did notice that phenomenon on the rocks in PA and elsewhere on the AT. I was taking larger steps and moving faster and smoother with the poles.

PS: I love these contentious pole threads. Whenever I volunteer on a trail-building crew here in Arizona, trying to scratch a tread out to help complete the AZT route, a favorite camp story of mine is relating how people actually argue about poles on the AT. Most can't believe there are actually enough people on a trail that using poles or not would make a difference. It's funny to see peoples' reactions.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I use them on downhills and to cross creeks that are often at the bottom of downhills in order to save my knees. I don't use them constantly because my hands go numb (I've had trouble with carpal tunnel) if I do.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    I use them on downhills and to cross creeks that are often at the bottom of downhills in order to save my knees. I don't use them constantly because my hands go numb (I've had trouble with carpal tunnel) if I do.
    Are you using the straps correctly?
    They allow your hands to relax, and do not require a death grip.

On the one pole debate...watch a one pole hiker, they change hands, sure, but they constantly walk 'around' the one pole.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the poles allow you to use the muscles in your arms to help you along. Especially on climbs this makes a difference.

I've done all three methods.

I've used random sticks I picked up for years.

I've gone with nothong at all.

I had two Lekis for a while (Until I broke one. Now I'm back to one pole.)

I can say (for me) that I will always have at least ONE pole. The added stability on rough terrain cannot be beat.

Two poles though. Hmmm... for me the jury is still out. I have not decided. Two poles can really help power me along but as another poster mentioned I would occasionally find it irritating to not have one hand free.

BL
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Images

I bought a pair of inexpensive poles to try it out and loved them. It really give added stability when going up and down hills, crossing creeks, or just rocky terrain. When I am on smooth ground I just carry them in one hand. They weigh next to nothing. I would suggest buying some inexpensive ones and giving it a try.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Using that "logic", 3 poles or even 5 would be better. I will admit this is one of the best justifications I've heard over the years.
    That's the dumbest extremist logic argument ever posted on WB; even someone as shallow as you might have noticed most people have only two arms.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

You can strike way cooler poses with a longstaff.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    You can strike way cooler poses with a longstaff.
    You may just have placed the final nail in the coffin of the pole religion.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Its probably gonna be a few weeks before I go on any major hikes. I'm getting some tattoo work done tomorrow on my ankle and I don't want my socks to rub it while its healing.
    Silk or Nylon thin shield socks (mens dress socks) with a gauze patch and tape. under your main wick socks
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    You may just have placed the final nail in the coffin of the pole religion.

I have seen that! It looks like this!

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Silk or Nylon thin shield socks (mens dress socks) with a gauze patch and tape. under your main wick socks
    that is a good idea, wow!
    I walked around tallalah gorge today, but i had my socks pulled down over my boots. I wouldnt have done that in the woods, but it was ok there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++