WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Two thoughts-first, I fully agree with TABA about the cheeseburger at Pisgah Inn. It was a great burger and not as pricey as you might expect. Also, I found that if I planned my walks along the BRP for early morning, I pretty much had the parkway to myself as well as the cool of the morning to enjoy. I have also done some nighthiking along the parkway and found this just as enjoyable.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Well, I've got enough info that I feel confident enough to make it from Clingman's Dome to Mt. Mitchell.

I'm looking at the first week of November tentatively.

Thanks for the maps LB!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Well, I've got enough info that I feel confident enough to make it from Clingman's Dome to Mt. Mitchell.

I'm looking at the first week of November tentatively.

Thanks for the maps LB!
    Unless you like the challenges of high mountains covered in snow my suggestion would be to start earlier if you can. There are several mountains that are over 6,000 ft. in between Clingman's and Mitchell. Watch the weather, listen to the weatherband and be smart. I ended on October 18th on top of Clingman's in 3 inches of snow and below 30 degree temps. Just be careful in November. The storms can have some dangers invovled at those elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    Unless you like the challenges of high mountains covered in snow my suggestion would be to start earlier if you can. There are several mountains that are over 6,000 ft. in between Clingman's and Mitchell. Watch the weather, listen to the weatherband and be smart. I ended on October 18th on top of Clingman's in 3 inches of snow and below 30 degree temps. Just be careful in November. The storms can have some dangers invovled at those elevations.
    Good point - I can play with the dates a bit. We'll see - I want to do this section this year.

10-K, keep in touch with me throughout the planning process and during the hike. I have a lot of friends in North Carolina that live near the trail so if you get into some bad weather or need assistnce in any other way I will try to pull my resources and see if I can help you succeed. My cell phone number is in the Manual. Feel free to call with questions at anytime. Good luck!

Thanks Taba - I'm trying to figure out a way to hike the section in GSMNP in a few weeks now.

Then I could go back with my daypack and knock out the next 2 BRP roadwalks (26 miles?) in one day rather than hike them with a full pack.

Then start backpacking again on section 4.....

The Smokies to the BRP will probably take you 3 days to get to. There are still some good climbs on the BRP even though it's road, the climbs can be long. However you may pick up speed on the downhills. 26 miles might be a stretch. If you don't mind hiking at night you could get it done. Unless you are normally a marathon runner. Then it would take you a couple of hours. Watch the elevation column in the Manual. There will be 2 major climbs and 2 excellent downhills with maybe a couple of shorter ones near the top of the ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    The Smokies to the BRP will probably take you 3 days to get to..
    27 miles? nah... day and a half tops..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++