WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    The flapping around hasn't been an issue for me.
    The hat's brim doesn't flap around, or you don't care that it does flap around?
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    The hat's brim doesn't flap around, or you don't care that it does flap around?
    Oh, it flaps around. I just don't mind. It's just not stiff enough to hold its shape.

Now that you have mentioned it, it will probably bother me for my whole JMT trip................THANKS.........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Thumbs up Protection

My Tilley T4IS Insect Shield Hat has a very rigid brim, It didn't budge in the winds up here and we had some pretty good gusts over the weekend. I have read reviews on some of the other models that had the floppy brim problem. The T4IS brim is rigid and thick enough to maintain a desired shape. It has a UV protection rating of 50+
    and even though it is a little uncomfortable in hot weather, I have found that even my favorite ball cap is also. I prefer the wide hat protection in the direct sun.

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    I own a Tilley (LT6), but would never wear it hiking for one reason. Wind. While I can tie-down the hat to my head, the brim is too soft and will flip up with any sort of "real" wind. Thereby removing any sun protection you thought you had.

I wear it just about everyday in the summer while outside around town, sporting events, family events, vacations, etc. But, unless I expect to be in the sun without any sort of strong wind, I'd never wear it while hiking.

What I find so odd is that Tilley's are suppose to be boating hats. Not sure what good they would do on a boat that is actually moving. I've tried mine while sailing and it was nearly useless.
    I use my Airflow sailing all the time. Works fine even in serious hard wind.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Got home from my Philmont hike with my son last week. Wore my Tilly hat (bday gift before a beach trip about 5 years ago) every day. Love it. Got home and it was stained, dirty, and sad looking. Put it through a wash cycle and it's almost like new. Best hat I own!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Images

Ditto about loving the Tilley's anchoring system. It will stay on when nothing else will.

That said, I use my Tilley in sunny conditions, but not in the summer on the AT most of the time, where I'm walking in the shade, but the heat and humidity are high. Then I use a rolled bandana to keep some of the sweat from running into my eyes.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Judging from the odd comments, I have to think Tilley's "heavy" old style hats must hold up better in the wind. Whereas the lighter weight hats do not.

One other point I should make, you must try on the hat. Do NOT go by sizing. Each hat style and hat material seems to fit differently. When I purchased my hat, I was able to find a local store (some bird feeder place) that had a huge inventory of Tilley's. I was amazed at how each style and material fit differently than the next.

FWIW, when I want sun protection in the wind (aka most backpacking trips), I wear a really dorky looking hat that has a really wide front brim and a large neck cap. It has strap to tie it under my chin if needed.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

I got a Tilly Airflo for father's day. It is very light and very comfortable. I compared it to a straw Panama hat and they are about the same. Except the Tilly will keep off rain that the Panama won't. And the Panama doesn't have a chin strap like the Tilly.
    I used the measurements off the Tilly "fit" link and it was correct. Except my head measurement was between two sizes! That said, I went to my local REI and bought the hat that was the larger and it fits wonderful.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

I have a Tilley hat that I wear backpacking and kayaking. Nothing like dipping the hat in the water or a stream to keep your head cool. I have washed mine quite a few times and it still looks brand new.

Plus what other hat comes with an 8 page owners manual
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

I have a Sunday Afternoon Hat, I'll be hiking the JMT next month. I love my hat.
    http://www.sundayafternoons.com/ not nearly the cost of the Tilly hats.

I have a cotton Tilley and mostly wear it in the spring and fall where there isn't enough leaf cover to give proper shade. I switch to a breathable baseball cap or wear a bandana in the summer.
    Sometimes I feel like I am walking in my own shadow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++